carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 10-22-2021, 01:21 PM   #181
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I'm with JST on this one, I wouldn't let a few dollars influence you to sell a car you had no plan on selling at this time ... what is the reason to get rid of it now unless you feel you are done with it, it's not like you have a new car on order and it's about to arrive and the plan was it would replace the M3.

The M3 will always be a special car and will be an easy sell once you decide it is time.
Agree. Plus it does not have a face only a mother could love...
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 01:23 PM   #182
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
I'm with JST on this one, I wouldn't let a few dollars influence you to sell a car you had no plan on selling at this time ... what is the reason to get rid of it now unless you feel you are done with it, it's not like you have a new car on order and it's about to arrive and the plan was it would replace the M3.

The M3 will always be a special car and will be an easy sell once you decide it is time.
True. And my wife supports it. I just feel bad. It's not an affordability thing. I'll go back to the plan of worrying about it when/if I have the GTS.

On the GTS side, I just want to have my cake and eat it too. I really would love to do Euro delivery on the GTS, even if it's in 2023. I need to get myself on a list.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 02:21 PM   #183
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:

+1

It doesn't seem like FC is quite ready to part with the M3, so don't. It'd be one thing if you had no emotional connection and were just trying to time the market - but that's not the case for you. Plus, if/when M3 values come down again it'll likely mean that the new car market has normalized as well...
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 02:33 PM   #184
Theo
Crazy Old Man

Carmudgeonly Ride: M2C Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
+1

It doesn't seem like FC is quite ready to part with the M3, so don't. It'd be one thing if you had no emotional connection and were just trying to time the market - but that's not the case for you. Plus, if/when M3 values come down again it'll likely mean that the new car market has normalized as well...
The only upside right now, if dealers are not assigning huge markups, is selling used high and buying new.
Old 10-22-2021, 02:41 PM   #185
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
The only upside right now, if dealers are not assigning huge markups, is selling used high and buying new.
I already lucked out on that front on the GTI purchase. I sold the Miata pretty high and still got a great discount on the GTI.
Old 10-22-2021, 03:31 PM   #186
SCA
Jaded

Quote:

Count me in as another that agrees with the above.
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 04:17 PM   #187
FC
Solving problems

Thanks for setting me straight, guys.
Old 02-05-2022, 03:50 PM   #188
FC
Solving problems

I'm starting to waffle about selling the M3 again. I have my name down for Spring 2023 (Euro - hopefully) delivery of a Boxster GTS with the local dealer and he ("Mark Webber" - LOL) thinks that's not a problem.

If that is the case and there is some level of confidence I can get a car then, maybe it makes sense to sell the M3 high this Spring. Carvana ($57k) is $2k higher than in September. Autotrader has cars like mine with more miles listed for $70k.

My warranty runs out in July, so waiting until later this year could impact resale more significantly.

Meanwhile, my wife suggested that I trade the M3 for a nice ND Miata. If there is no Boxster in 2023 I still have a roadster, and if there is a Boxster I will likely enjoy the ND more than the M3 in the interim and lose less in the process.
Old 02-05-2022, 04:56 PM   #189
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
I'm starting to waffle about selling the M3 again. I have my name down for Spring 2023 (Euro - hopefully) delivery of a Boxster GTS with the local dealer and he ("Mark Webber" - LOL) thinks that's not a problem.

If that is the case and there is some level of confidence I can get a car then, maybe it makes sense to sell the M3 high this Spring. Carvana ($57k) is $2k higher than in September. Autotrader has cars like mine with more miles listed for $70k.

My warranty runs out in July, so waiting until later this year could impact resale more significantly.

Meanwhile, my wife suggested that I trade the M3 for a nice ND Miata. If there is no Boxster in 2023 I still have a roadster, and if there is a Boxster I will likely enjoy the ND more than the M3 in the interim and lose less in the process.
Take this with a grain of salt or act quickly?

U.S. auto prices show signs of peaking, sellers say https://www.autonews.com/retail/us-a...ng-sellers-say
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 05:03 PM   #190
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post
Take this with a grain of salt or act quickly?

U.S. auto prices show signs of peaking, sellers say https://www.autonews.com/retail/us-a...ng-sellers-say
Would love to read the reticle but it says it requires a subscription.

FC, I think it’s been in the back of your mind for sometime now and you are ready … maybe i’m wrong but it is the feeling I am getting.

Meanwhile I’m in Florida and just drove my sisters 2018 SL550 and have to tell you it is one hell of a car, I know you’re a Mercedes fan which is why I am mentioning it. I never like the SL’s before I drove this one.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote