carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 11-11-2021, 10:11 AM   #71
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
He's a Rivian employee. Before I saw him (or his wife?) comment that it's a Launch Edition, I wasn't sure if it was a company vehicle that may have been configured differently than a regular production truck off the line. Hence, my uncertainty about the battery.
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 04:03 PM   #72
SCA
Jaded

It’s bizarro world in the auto industry, again: https://apple.news/A8Wk0HWyKRaKhD3zdmAcq4g
Old 11-15-2021, 08:44 AM   #73
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
They created an Instagram account to share their trip progress if anyone is interested:
https://www.instagram.com/gideontherivian/
They also created a Facebook page that I think they've set to copy the Instagram posted content...but based on the last few posts, there may be more/more interesting discussion on the FB version.

If you want to follow along:
https://www.facebook.com/Gideon-the-...4801385357972/

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 08:47 AM   #74
dan
redefined

https://www.motortrend.com/news/luci...r-of-the-year/
Old 11-15-2021, 09:21 AM   #75
zach
swinging for the fences

Carmudgeonly Ride: 987, X7 M60i, e36 M3
I like the Rivian quite a bit. Tempted to reserve one.
zach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 09:34 AM   #76
JST

OK, reserved one.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 09:46 AM   #77
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by zach View Post
I like the Rivian quite a bit. Tempted to reserve one.
Do it! I reserved Oct 2020.

Edit: My specs below. I would like to get the Rivian Blue, but I am not dropping $2500 for paint on a truck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D38FEBB7-4C0E-4BCD-8BF0-687C610995F3.jpeg
Views:	151
Size:	528.5 KB
ID:	14007  Click image for larger version

Name:	BF7220DA-4BDB-4B7D-A7D1-6664D3CF9E10.jpeg
Views:	154
Size:	687.0 KB
ID:	14008  

Last edited by SCA; 11-15-2021 at 11:10 AM.
Old 11-27-2021, 10:59 AM   #78
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
They also created a Facebook page that I think they've set to copy the Instagram posted content...but based on the last few posts, there may be more/more interesting discussion on the FB version.

If you want to follow along:
https://www.facebook.com/Gideon-the-...4801385357972/
They finally posted some interesting info. If you're not following along, they're trying to charge when they're down to about 30% range and charging to 90%. They would be going down to 20% if they had more confidence in the range estimates AND that there would be working chargers that aren't super slow when they arrive at the location.

They're seeing per mile costs averaging $0.25/mile with Electrify America (although yesterday was free) and $0.30/mile with Chargepoint.

They've had some bad luck with slow chargers and seem to generally be seeing about 1.2 minutes/mile of charge time overall, but it's highlight dependent on charging speed, which seems highly variable. At some locations, the first charger they've plugged into has been super slow, tried another and found it to be much faster. Sometimes, they're all slow.

If they have the ability to get to a charger without unhitching, they do...even if it blocks all the other chargers at that location. In other places, the geometry or bollards won't let them get to the charger with the trailer hooked up, so they have to leave it somewhere nearby.

For towing, the $0.27/mi cost is kind of competitive with diesel depending on your diesel alternative's efficiency and how long of a term you use for comparison. Average diesel price in the US today is $3.41/gallon. At 15 MPG, that's $0.23/gallon, but (if new enough) you also have to add DEF occasionally, do oil changes, probably add a tune, an exhaust at some point, etc. At those prices, a single trip of considerable length will be noticeably more expensive, but not enough to hurt, but I'd guess total running costs over 100k towing miles (10-15 years of significant use?) would be similar enough to wash out.

The parts that really hurt are that they're spending nearly as much time charging as they're spending moving and that they have to charge so often (although they're being cagey about sharing range details). I think a lot of thoughts I and others have had about the electric F150 apply here: Towing with an electric doesn't make sense...yet. If you want or need a truck for anything else...it's viable in today's world.

Staying tuned...

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 11-27-2021, 11:15 AM   #79
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
They finally posted some interesting info. If you're not following along, they're trying to charge when they're down to about 30% range and charging to 90%. They would be going down to 20% if they had more confidence in the range estimates AND that there would be working chargers that aren't super slow when they arrive at the location.

They're seeing per mile costs averaging $0.25/mile with Electrify America (although yesterday was free) and $0.30/mile with Chargepoint.

They've had some bad luck with slow chargers and seem to generally be seeing about 1.2 minutes/mile of charge time overall, but it's highlight dependent on charging speed, which seems highly variable. At some locations, the first charger they've plugged into has been super slow, tried another and found it to be much faster. Sometimes, they're all slow.

If they have the ability to get to a charger without unhitching, they do...even if it blocks all the other chargers at that location. In other places, the geometry or bollards won't let them get to the charger with the trailer hooked up, so they have to leave it somewhere nearby.

For towing, the $0.27/mi cost is kind of competitive with diesel depending on your diesel alternative's efficiency and how long of a term you use for comparison. Average diesel price in the US today is $3.41/gallon. At 15 MPG, that's $0.23/gallon, but (if new enough) you also have to add DEF occasionally, do oil changes, probably add a tune, an exhaust at some point, etc. At those prices, a single trip of considerable length will be noticeably more expensive, but not enough to hurt, but I'd guess total running costs over 100k towing miles (10-15 years of significant use?) would be similar enough to wash out.

The parts that really hurt are that they're spending nearly as much time charging as they're spending moving and that they have to charge so often (although they're being cagey about sharing range details). I think a lot of thoughts I and others have had about the electric F150 apply here: Towing with an electric doesn't make sense...yet. If you want or need a truck for anything else...it's viable in today's world.

Staying tuned...
I appreciate this synopsis. Not enough bandwidth to follow this saga. I see many Rivian trucks daily on highways in LA with manufacturer tags. It is very large.

Your cost breakdown makes me less enthusiastic for the moment.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 11:32 AM   #80
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post

Your cost breakdown makes me less enthusiastic for the moment.
For how most people use most trucks, it should be fine as it is. And it looks really nice inside.

It just doesnt look like a great option for towing more than 150 miles if time efficiency matters to you.

The big unknown $ factor is what depreciation will look like. I'd expect these early trucks to be heavily penalized on resale once trucks are available with realistic towing ranges. Until then, though...?

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?