carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 06-09-2021, 11:34 PM   #1
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: X5 M50 / M550
When will the used car market peak?

With all the used car market talk, I’ve been casually tracking the various sites for numbers on our 340 over past few months. Value is fluctuating a bit but generally ~2k below what we paid. Strong, but not enough to push me to sell.

Out of curiosity I started trying the X5 too. We’re currently half way through lease and love the car but hard to not window shop with all this craziness. CarMax won’t give me a $$ online, Carvana says “we’ll get back to you” but never does, but have been getting numbers from Vroom. A month ago it was at lease payoff (not bad) and last week it jumped to $4k equity (nice!). However after seeing what used ones are listed for, felt like there was still some money on the table. I just tried KBB instant offer and came back with $9k equity (!!!). I’ve never seen this on a zero-down BMW lease half way through. Is this as good as it gets? Or do things get even crazier if supply chains are still screwed up for several more months and thin inventory gets even thinner?

(Of course the problem becomes - hard to replace it as deals on a new one are shit right now)
Old 06-10-2021, 07:59 AM   #2
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAFIL View Post
With all the used car market talk, I’ve been casually tracking the various sites for numbers on our 340 over past few months. Value is fluctuating a bit but generally ~2k below what we paid. Strong, but not enough to push me to sell.

Out of curiosity I started trying the X5 too. We’re currently half way through lease and love the car but hard to not window shop with all this craziness. CarMax won’t give me a $$ online, Carvana says “we’ll get back to you” but never does, but have been getting numbers from Vroom. A month ago it was at lease payoff (not bad) and last week it jumped to $4k equity (nice!). However after seeing what used ones are listed for, felt like there was still some money on the table. I just tried KBB instant offer and came back with $9k equity (!!!). I’ve never seen this on a zero-down BMW lease half way through. Is this as good as it gets? Or do things get even crazier if supply chains are still screwed up for several more months and thin inventory gets even thinner?

(Of course the problem becomes - hard to replace it as deals on a new one are shit right now)
I mean, it's your last point that's key. Since the used car market is being driven in large part by a shortage in new cars, the spike is likely to keep going until new car supplies normalize (or the bottom falls out of the economy). When will that be? I mean, a few months at least, probably.

As far as a deal on a new one...what does "shit" mean? And do you need an X5 replacement, and does it have to be a lease? Even if the deals are bad, are they so bad that they erase a 9K profit on the old one?
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 08:40 AM   #3
kognito
older fart than ZBB

I don't know about other states, but I assume dealer's new car inventory is as empty as it is here in South Carolina. The head of Toyota USA was interviewed on CNBC the other day (when the displayed the new Lexus and Toyota battery cars) and Toyota dealers inventory backlog is 9 days. So basically cars are sold as the drive off the transport trailers. (these 9 days INCLUDES delivery days)

Until chip shortages are fixed and production gets back to normal, I don't think the newer used car market will cool off IMHO

Junkers are still junkers, but my 4 year old, nicely loaded 1/2 pickup is worth more than I paid for it. But it has only 18K miles on it, it is a pickup truck, not my daily driver. But there is nothing comparable available on lots to replace it with
Old 06-10-2021, 08:52 AM   #4
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: X5 M50 / M550
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
I mean, it's your last point that's key. Since the used car market is being driven in large part by a shortage in new cars, the spike is likely to keep going until new car supplies normalize (or the bottom falls out of the economy). When will that be? I mean, a few months at least, probably.

As far as a deal on a new one...what does "shit" mean? And do you need an X5 replacement, and does it have to be a lease? Even if the deals are bad, are they so bad that they erase a 9K profit on the old one?

I’ve been eyeing various options as a 2nd car if I decided to finally pull the trigger and replace the 340 but hadn’t thought of any X5 replacements. We honestly love it for the purpose it serves so I think if I even brought up the subject the answer would be “let’s look at another X5” or maybe an X7 (which we definitely don’t need). I guess there might be something Benz, Range Rover, etc. that would also pique other half’s curiosity but we all know I’m a BMW guy so I know what way I’d lean. Also not sure deals are to be had on any of these options. But at least it gives me something new to research for a few days!

As for shit deal- our current car was almost 11% off MSRP plus $3000 in lease incentives and 57% residual. Just going by the deals on leasehakr right now, a replacement would be 5-6% off MSRP, $1500 incentives and 52% residual. These are 90-100k cars depending on options so yea, 5% less residual and 5% less discount pretty much eat up 9k equity. Could basically roll it all into a new lease and come out even which is kind of “meh”. Not opposed to buying but in that case still left with ~$80k balance after trade which is a big number. At that $$ definitely prefer the flexibility a lease provides.

So I guess it’s all academic but does make me feel a bit better knowing I have some equity in car in short term if I needed to do something. Also really wondering how hard the correction will be - my residual is $50k, will it really drop almost $25k in value in next year? Doubt the supply will increase that much to drop the bottom out of it. Who knows. A lot of scenarios to think about!
Old 06-10-2021, 08:57 AM   #5
JST

Quote:
I’ve been eyeing various options as a 2nd car if I decided to finally pull the trigger and replace the 340 but hadn’t thought of any X5 replacements. We honestly love it for the purpose it serves so I think if I even brought up the subject the answer would be “let’s look at another X5” or maybe an X7 (which we definitely don’t need). I guess there might be something Benz, Range Rover, etc. that would also pique other half’s curiosity but we all know I’m a BMW guy so I know what way I’d lean. Also not sure deals are to be had on any of these options. But at least it gives me something new to research for a few days!

As for shit deal- our current car was almost 11% off MSRP plus $3000 in lease incentives and 57% residual. Just going by the deals on leasehakr right now, a replacement would be 5-6% off MSRP, $1500 incentives and 52% residual. These are 90-100k cars depending on options so yea, 5% less residual and 5% less discount pretty much eat up 9k equity. Could basically roll it all into a new lease and come out even which is kind of “meh”. Not opposed to buying but in that case still left with ~$80k balance after trade which is a big number. At that $$ definitely prefer the flexibility a lease provides.

So I guess it’s all academic but does make me feel a bit better knowing I have some equity in car in short term if I needed to do something. Also really wondering how hard the correction will be - my residual is $50k, will it really drop almost $25k in value in next year? Doubt the supply will increase that much to drop the bottom out of it. Who knows. A lot of scenarios to think about!
Cayenne? Not sure how much space you need and to be honest I haven't really been tracking the luxury SUV space.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 08:58 AM   #6
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
what about something on Swap-A-Lease? IE: Sell yours, make $9k and step into someone else's with a year left at a similar monthly payment?
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 09:13 AM   #7
clyde
Chief title editor

I've been tracking the Camaro daily (because I'm obsessive) at Carvana and Carmax (and a separate Carmax offer you can get through edmunds.com, too) and Vroom weekly. The past few Vroom offers have been about $6k (~13%) more than I paid for it (Carmax and Carvana have been right about or just under what I paid) which is enough to make consider for a moment, but the question is "What do I get when this is still the car I want?"

It gets a little more interesting when I put info in for my wife's 2019 RAV4 Hybrid. The car has 55k and a fair number of dings and scratches. It cleans up nice, but will need a little reconditioning and I think I've accurately entered its condition into those online appraisers (possibly even been more critical). Mostly, it has 55k on it. I paid $28ish just over two years ago. Carmax is offering $25,400 and Vroom $26,000. An identical (but with fixed gas tank) new 2021 stickers for $29,975.

The problem there is that we'd probably have to travel a couple hundred miles to be able to buy one at or under MSRP. The local dealers are looking for $2-$5k over MSRP on the handful of cars in inventory. For a RAV4 Hybrid? The fuck?

My wife isn't wed to another RAV4 Hybrid, but she wants something that comparable in size/utility with similar or better mileage, but I don't think we want to spend much more than low $30s. Maybe a little more for something fully electric. So, I'm thinking Mach-E, ID4, and, weirdly, maybe Ford Maverick. I don't think we'll make a serious effort here, but starting to explore. If it's going to take a while to get one of those new vehicles, is her current car going to be worth the same when we get there? And, if it is, will it take more to buy one as well?

For Fil...I might think about a lower cost beater for the short term that could then potentially serve in a utility role after getting the "real" vehicle at whatever point in the future.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 09:14 AM   #8
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kognito View Post
I don't know about other states, but I assume dealer's new car inventory is as empty as it is here in South Carolina.
I forgot to mention...A couple weeks ago, I drove to and from Lincoln, NE. The emptiness of the dealer lots we passed all along the way was striking. Dealers don't have cars to sell.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 06-10-2021, 09:34 AM   #9
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Also really wondering how hard the correction will be - my residual is $50k, will it really drop almost $25k in value in next year? Doubt the supply will increase that much to drop the bottom out of it. Who knows. A lot of scenarios to think about!
The uptick this time was much faster and more dramatic than the slow rise last spring/summer. The fall from peak late summer to its recent bottom mid-winter was just about as gradual. From mid-winter to mid-spring, it was a steeper climb, but mid-spring on was like a rocketship.

As soon as used inventory starts to exceed demand just a bit, I think trade values will all but collapse in very short order and (barring additional global shocks) take another 60-90 days to find a new equilibrium. When that's going to be though?

There's a lot of nearly complete new inventory waiting for just a module or two and then they can ship. It shouldn't take a very long time to refill dealer lots

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 06-10-2021, 09:55 AM   #10
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
For giggles I put our CX-5 into Vroom, Carvana and kbb.

KBB trade-in: 20,000-$21000 (roughly)
Vroom offer: $18,751
Carvana offer: $14,760

I wasn't expecting the range to be that large.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote