carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Technical Superiority > Spit Shined

Old 09-22-2021, 04:55 PM   #21
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
occasional wildfire smoke.
Not so occasional any more.

But, yeah, it's crazy how much crap you can find on a car's surface out there when you don't wash it often. OTOH, it rains so infrequently there that there's a repeated rinse cycle cars go through here that is missed that also helps allow some build up, too. Of course, there's no acid rain there. Then again... and so on.

The environments are different and each have their own harshnesses.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 05:08 PM   #22
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Okay quick update to my sons experience with this ... the car was left parked next to the sprinklers in early summer and it seems the water drop spots will not come out. The detailers said the water from the sprinklers caused this which is ridiculous this coating can't take water drops sitting on it.

Long story my son is having the coating removed as he is done trying to maintain this ... if his car was garaged 'maybe' it is worth getting but I know I will not be doing this to any of my future cars unless I did it myself like Clyde did.
Some ceramic coatings do not get along well with hard water (and the worst you will see are from sprinklers), especially when poorly applied and/or allowed to sit on the car for any length of time (read long enough to thoroughly dry). The coatings can take the water. It's the mineral and other deposits that wind up getting concentrated that they have a hard time with. All of the positive qualities of the coating, unfortunately, conspire to highlight those new blemishes.

Quote:
My big worry with PPF is that they will leave razor cuts in the paint, it also bothers me they need to remove the headlights and front bumper to avoid seams at least that is what I had read online though if I were to get another brand new sports car I think I would have it done after a lot of research on who does excellent work.
People installing PPF on high end cars for a living are usually not random shmoes with the shakes using boxcutters. They are skilled, use the right equipment, rarely nick the paint, and are usually up front with you about it when they do (and will compensate you or assist in repairs).

What worries you about removing lights, bumpers, etc? It's not just to avoid visible seams, but to ensure proper coverage and decent wear. If the panel edges aren't wrapped properly, there's a good chance it will peel, give you air pockets, collect dirt, and/or otherwise look shoddy in short order.

All the things you're worried about are things to worry about when you "know a guy" that can "do it cheaper." If you do research and focus on quality and check references, you should be fine.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 09-23-2021, 12:44 PM   #23
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
People installing PPF on high end cars for a living are usually not random shmoes with the shakes using boxcutters. They are skilled, use the right equipment, rarely nick the paint, and are usually up front with you about it when they do (and will compensate you or assist in repairs).

What worries you about removing lights, bumpers, etc? It's not just to avoid visible seams, but to ensure proper coverage and decent wear. If the panel edges aren't wrapped properly, there's a good chance it will peel, give you air pockets, collect dirt, and/or otherwise look shoddy in short order.

All the things you're worried about are things to worry about when you "know a guy" that can "do it cheaper." If you do research and focus on quality and check references, you should be fine.
I am the type pretty much like anyone here who will research the heck out of a place if doing this kind of work to my car but I have read some horror stories on Rennlist about brand new 911's being done at what the owners thought were a reputable place and ending up with cut marks on the paint ... I totally agree with you on getting the panel edges done property I just don't like people taking apart my cars. I think of it like this, the car is as perfect as it is going to be, removing parts can only end up doing damage at the worst while at the best hopefully no damage is done.

Even looking at a simple thing like removing a wheel, just check around the lugnuts and there is always some type of scratch in the lugnut area no matter how careful you ask them to be.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 02:35 PM   #24
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I think of it like this, the car is as perfect as it is going to be, removing parts can only end up doing damage at the worst while at the best hopefully no damage is done.
The alternative is that damage will happen from regular use...and from just existing in the environment.

It sounds like you have two choices:
  1. You can take steps to protect against future damage with some small risk that doing so will incur immediate unintended damage.
  2. You can rely on the the undocumented standard feature no-cost invisible forcefield your car came with to protect it against the absolutely 100% certain damage your call would suffer from merely existing in this world if it did not have that fortuitous magical forcefield.

It's like everything else in life. Shit happens and things go wrong sometimes. If my choice is between a small cut in the paint on the hood at the edge of where some PPF was installed for the three years I own the car or a sandblasted front bumper after three years of ownership, I know what I'd rather have. Some people might have a different feeling, though. One of the big differences is that if I get a PPF install, it probably won't come with a free paint cut. OTOH, if I don't get a PPF install, it may not get sandblasted, but I know it will have plenty of chips.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 09-23-2021, 05:06 PM   #25
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
Some ceramic coatings do not get along well with hard water (and the worst you will see are from sprinklers), especially when poorly applied and/or allowed to sit on the car for any length of time (read long enough to thoroughly dry). The coatings can take the water. It's the mineral and other deposits that wind up getting concentrated that they have a hard time with. All of the positive qualities of the coating, unfortunately, conspire to highlight those new blemishes.

So, I basically took your advice here intuitively (before you posted this) and went with the XPEL installer in San Diego, Auto Armour, that the dealers use.

They are amazing. To your point, this is not a job for morons. These guys are so careful. They redid sections because they weren’t satisfied.

And I didn’t look all that hard, but if there are cut lines in the paint, I can’t see them. And the front end is protected from rock chips, which is key.

My only question was the headlight thing, but when they explained it, it made sense to me. I just didn’t know you could sand down headlamps and then “paint” them with clear coat.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote