carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Going Faster

Old 05-11-2021, 10:40 AM   #361
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
This car is nuts. My driving, maybe not so good right now. It'll come back (I hope?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMtPDjrEhjE
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 12:56 PM   #362
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
This car is nuts. My driving, maybe not so good right now. It'll come back (I hope?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMtPDjrEhjE
I was only able to catch glimpses while working impound/carchex. This is better.

What was your speed after the kink away from the stadium. See your shift lights going. The one run of our six with a clean 2-3 shift got Kevin up to 69. The 2-5-N-3 and 2-N-2 shifts did not result in such lofty speeds.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 01:07 PM   #363
John V
No more BMWs

I think Solostorm said 71. Based on the shift lights I'm guessing I briefly peaked around 74-75 but that could also be from wheelspin. I was feathering the throttle a good portion of that back stretch, and I should have just pinned it on the limiter and trusted in the grip. Mentally I'm not quite there yet.

I'm really happy with how the car performed. It runs very well and I didn't have to turn a wrench on it all weekend. Just realized I didn't check the oil (it's probably due for a change since the rebuild), either. It runs cool, makes bonkers power, is pretty easy to drive and is a ton of fun.
Old 05-11-2021, 02:25 PM   #364
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
I think Solostorm said 71. Based on the shift lights I'm guessing I briefly peaked around 74-75 but that could also be from wheelspin. I was feathering the throttle a good portion of that back stretch, and I should have just pinned it on the limiter and trusted in the grip. Mentally I'm not quite there yet.

I'm really happy with how the car performed. It runs very well and I didn't have to turn a wrench on it all weekend. Just realized I didn't check the oil (it's probably due for a change since the rebuild), either. It runs cool, makes bonkers power, is pretty easy to drive and is a ton of fun.
Driving (and now trying to figure out what's wrong with) the CSP car is giving me a much different level of appreciation for what you've done and how well.

It was also pretty cool to see Eric hop in and do as well as he did, especially given his lack of sleep and rain on Saturday. I think that speaks to how good of a car you built. And then at dinner finding out that your car is only the third car he's ever run was kind of wow.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 05-11-2021, 02:29 PM   #365
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
so awesome
Old 06-03-2021, 11:54 AM   #366
John V
No more BMWs

I took the car out to Lincoln for "Spring Nationals," typically a four-day event on the same site where Nationals and the Pro Finale take place. I'm very glad I did. It was much needed time away from work and time spent with family and friends. The car also performed flawlessly.

I haven't gotten around to sorting through my runs but Sam posted his on the youtubez. Sam finished 2nd in SSM at both events (obviously this is not an SSM car but Sam is Sam). I won SM in the first event and finished second, 0.3 out of first in the second event. I was fastest on the second day of the second event but didn't drive my best on day 1.

Here's his best from Friday (day one of the first Tour): https://youtu.be/Rf-c7QZtgs4

Here's his 2nd best from Saturday. Camera died for his final run which was a bit quicker: https://youtu.be/AKb4Qefa3nY

Here's his best from the second day of the second tour. First day was raining: https://youtu.be/YuwAzin6NtM

The car ran flawlessly the entire time and we beat the tar out of it. I think I'd be happier with a clutch diff (vs. the helical we have in there) but we were able to eventually make the helical work okay. We had pretty bad inside-rear wheelspin exiting corners the first couple days. Ended up changing a bunch of stuff on the chassis to make it work better and what helped the most was swapping to 85/140 conventional gear oil in the rear end. Not perfect but better.

I'm not sure the videos convey just how fast the car is. I don't know exactly how much power it's making. The last time it was on the dyno at 14psi of boost it made around 410whp but it was spinning the rear tires on the dyno (the drum is old and slick). I cranked the boost up to 17psi peak for this event and that should add around 40hp. A better diff will make it much easier to drive I think. But the way it exits corners is like nothing I've experienced. Fortunately the traction control is really good.

I'm not sure my driving is up to the task to contend for a Nationals win this year but I'm going to give it my all! I have three more events (maybe four) to shake off rust before then.
Old 06-03-2021, 12:37 PM   #367
JST

That's awesome--and I can only imagine how much satisfaction it adds to the victory to do it in a car you've conceived, built, and sorted yourself.

EDIT: Also, holy crap yeah that thing looks like it's got a lot of power.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 02:57 PM   #368
John V
No more BMWs

It's easily the fastest car I've ever driven in a straight line and generates the highest cornering forces I've experienced. Before this car I had never encountered anything that required me to fundamentally recalibrate my brain to what is possible.

The best way I can explain this is when Sam and I reviewed data I noticed we were both entering slaloms at higher and higher entry speeds on subsequent runs, thinking "no way will this go." We'd both exit the slalom thinking "Well, I underdrove that." Sam commented that he's pretty sure he never got to the limits of the car in transitions. It's nutty.
Old 06-03-2021, 06:15 PM   #369
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
That's awesome--and I can only imagine how much satisfaction it adds to the victory to do it in a car you've conceived, built, and sorted yourself.

EDIT: Also, holy crap yeah that thing looks like it's got a lot of power.
I think the quote was, "I built that pile of crap."

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 06-03-2021, 06:43 PM   #370
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Awesome vids... As JST said, ultimate satisfaction. Congratulations JV!
equ is offline   Reply With Quote