carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 11-23-2021, 01:21 PM   #281
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
Guys, I’m just pointing out that you can add horsepower to a lead sled, but you still need to brake and need to slalom in said “sports car”. And you’re at the mercy of typical BMW brakes (yuck) and limits of how wide the tires you can put on said car.

If you, for example, read the scathing review of the new Merc EQ580, the main complaint is that it’s damn near 6000 lbs and doesn’t do anything particularly well.

For this wheelbase and footprint, I cannot take a BMW M240 seriously. This is a fucking joke.
Just read the new AWD M3/M4 is 2 tons Funny the pig emoji is m3
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 01:42 PM   #282
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post
I wonder if that's what they were modeling the new grilles after... a pig snout.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 01:58 PM   #283
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
I wonder if that's what they were modeling the new grilles after... a pig snout.
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 01:58 PM   #284
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
I think if we are honest and do not call them sports cars, all of my objections are removed.

If the intention is to just build fast lead sleds like AMG, then great.

The only question I have is, why not go with AMG then? Because their power plants tend to be more fascinating technically.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 02:41 PM   #285
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
My 2017 240 brakes feel fantastic compared with my Mazda CX-5...
The brake feel in the CX-5 is downright bizarre. Initially very grabby, then not much additional braking with additional pedal force/travel until you're really standing on them.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 02:53 PM   #286
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
The brake feel in the CX-5 is downright bizarre. Initially very grabby, then not much additional braking with additional pedal force/travel until you're really standing on them.
Yes. Exactly. Not linear at all.

The brakes and the seats are the two aspects I like the least about the Mazda. Oh, and that my phone has to be physically plugged in to access CarPlay.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 08:21 PM   #287
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
JohnV is literally having a cow. Get it? Bad pun?

That’s pretty hefty.

I think when we saw the curb weight of the new Supra, we all knew that the future of BMW was 8spd automatic and heavy.

The new RWD 2er is doing nothing to disprove that notion.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 09:22 PM   #288
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
JohnV is literally having a cow. Get it? Bad pun?
Don't give up the day job.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 12:13 PM   #289
IndyMike
Elected by grace

Carmudgeonly Ride: 11 1 M; 11 328iT; 22 M240ix
I was one of the first ones to grab the pitch forks and torch the design initially, but after seeing it in real life it's a lot better in my opinion than appears using on-line media.

Since the daily R32 is getting a bit long in the tooth at 14 years and 122,000 miles it's time to soon part ways. If I can eek out one more winter with it would be most ideal.

The M240i is on a very, very short list of contenders.

This would be my build if I went with it in Xdrive guise.
https://www.bmwusa.com/build-your-ow...q9g044/summary

Nearly every option, except going with sensatec in cognac skin instead of the meager leather options that don't blow my hair back.

If I decide to opt for it still undecided whether to go early next year or wait until it's released in RWD form. With the High-Performance Tire Package that give you the awesome PS4S I'd be getting snow tires anyway for winter, so while nice to have the Xdrive it is probably overkill. Not to mention that it's also heavier and probably $2k more expensive than the forthcoming RWD variant.

Of course, all of this is just mental gymnastics since it has not got the official seal of The Warden's approval yet. She might gag on the sticker shock, but she'll be relieved to see the VW get gone since ingress and egress are an issue for her.

She might put up stiff resistance to the purple paint, but I'm pretty sure I can get her to standdown and put the billy club and gun away. Since this will be "OUR" car, I at least have a 50/50 fighting chance. Well, theoretically speaking, anyway.

What remains is a test drive to see if I can live with the mediocre electric steering rack. Ugh!!

Somebody please spare me since I really dread that, but at some point I'll have to come to grips with the realization EPAS will never give the connection to the road feel that the hydraulic units deliver. Everybody says they are improving with each iteration, but nobody has stated they are at the same level of involvement as the hydraulic units.

Since I have the 1 M and E91 I'll still at least have majority stable domination in that regard.
Old 12-01-2021, 12:25 PM   #290
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMike View Post
I was one of the first ones to grab the pitch forks and torch the design initially, but after seeing it in real life it's a lot better in my opinion than appears using on-line media.

Since the daily R32 is getting a bit long in the tooth at 14 years and 122,000 miles it's time to soon part ways. If I can eek out one more winter with it would be most ideal.

The M240i is on a very, very short list of contenders.

This would be my build if I went with it in Xdrive guise.
https://www.bmwusa.com/build-your-ow...q9g044/summary

Nearly every option, except going with sensatec in cognac skin instead of the meager leather options that don't blow my hair back.

If I decide to opt for it still undecided whether to go early next year or wait until it's released in RWD form. With the High-Performance Tire Package that give you the awesome PS4S I'd be getting snow tires anyway for winter, so while nice to have the Xdrive it is probably overkill. Not to mention that it's also heavier and probably $2k more expensive than the forthcoming RWD variant.

Of course, all of this is just mental gymnastics since it has not got the official seal of The Warden's approval yet. She might gag on the sticker shock, but she'll be relieved to see the VW get gone since ingress and egress are an issue for her.

She might put up stiff resistance to the purple paint, but I'm pretty sure I can get her to standdown and put the billy club and gun away. Since this will be "OUR" car, I at least have a 50/50 fighting chance. Well, theoretically speaking, anyway.

What remains is a test drive to see if I can live with the mediocre electric steering rack. Ugh!!

Somebody please spare me since I really dread that, but at some point I'll have to come to grips with the realization EPAS will never give the connection to the road feel that the hydraulic units deliver. Everybody says they are improving with each iteration, but nobody has stated they are at the same level of involvement as the hydraulic units.

Since I have the 1 M and E91 I'll still at least have majority stable domination in that regard.
Very nice build. I think you should go for it.

If it were a convertible or a 4-door, I would already have my order in (I believe I wrote that somewhere else.)

I am also, gasp, a little tempted by the M440i Xdrive Grand Coupe, despite the stupid moniker and horrible cheesy grille.

I like the idea of a one-car solution, but I don't like doing without a hatchback. I will eventually be down to one dog(likely in 1-3 years). And will also eventually need to help subsidize a teen driver/car.

That model seems to strike a balance between the two cars I already have--with the exception of the convertible aspect. And would get me a little more luxury, which would be nice because neither the Mazda nor my generation of 2 provide that.

But, if I were smart, I'd just settle for the M340 and avoid the horrible grille.

I am also tempted by a Boxster. But, in my heart of hearts, I know I prefer convertibles that are easier to get in and out of--like my 2. I am not getting any younger. Sigh.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote