carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2021, 04:06 PM   #11
SCA
Jaded
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
I just received a class action notice on our V8 X5. Fortunately, it's sold.
What year N63?
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 04:46 PM   #12
equ
Alphanumeric
 
equ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Posts: 9,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
Where do you hear that and why do they blow up?
This is what my buyer wrote back, he is not very technical:

They said that the drive shaft malfunction-was shredding metal into the oil flow
and that the engine needed replacing


I did not expect that for n55's. He got some help from bmw and his son is a mechanic so I guess he came out ok. I felt bad that the engine did not make 90k.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 04:51 PM   #13
Nick M3
Relic
 
Nick M3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Bethesda, MD
Posts: 11,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
This is what my buyer wrote back, he is not very technical:

They said that the drive shaft malfunction-was shredding metal into the oil flow
and that the engine needed replacing


I did not expect that for n55's. He got some help from bmw and his son is a mechanic so I guess he came out ok. I felt bad that the engine did not make 90k.
I interpret that as rod bearings. I see a lot of rod bearing failures reported for N55s. I bet he meant crankshaft.
__________________
2011 M3
2006 Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
2004 X5 3.0i 6MT
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo


Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 05:54 PM   #14
equ
Alphanumeric
 
equ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Posts: 9,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M3 View Post
I interpret that as rod bearings. I see a lot of rod bearing failures reported for N55s. I bet he meant crankshaft.
I bet that's what he meant.

I'm stunned. First owner was a bmwcca owner, also with a e39 m5 from new and had an m2 on order. He overmaintained. I purchased at 42k, changed oil at 45, 50 and 55k and sold at 56 or 57k thereabouts. I don't know how the buyer maintained but I assume reasonable with an interest in cars and a son as a bmw tech.

Now I'm paranoid about my b58. The last oil change I had done, a few hundred miles ago, I was between a rock and a hard place. I have a camera in the car and I know that if I leave it at the dealer for something as simple as an oil change it gets driven back & forth 8 times by 4 different valets. With CPO coverage over for the 340i, I went to my indy, I don't think they have done many b58's. I think they went with their usual 5w40. I realize the bmw spec for the oil is 0w20. Is the 40-weight a risk for the bearings?

Last edited by equ; 11-16-2021 at 06:56 PM.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 06:53 PM   #15
wdc330i
dogged
 
wdc330i's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: '17 M240i / ‘21 Mazda CX-5
Posts: 10,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post
What year N63?
2016. Allegedly the better tweaked engine.
wdc330i is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 07:32 PM   #16
zach
swinging for the fences
 
zach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: X7 M50i, e36 M3
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 4,829
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
I just received a class action notice on our V8 X5. Fortunately, it's sold.
Same. They seem to have it figured out with whatever version of the 4.4TT is in the X7.
zach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 09:19 PM   #17
Nick M3
Relic
 
Nick M3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Bethesda, MD
Posts: 11,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
I bet that's what he meant.

I'm stunned. First owner was a bmwcca owner, also with a e39 m5 from new and had an m2 on order. He overmaintained. I purchased at 42k, changed oil at 45, 50 and 55k and sold at 56 or 57k thereabouts. I don't know how the buyer maintained but I assume reasonable with an interest in cars and a son as a bmw tech.

Now I'm paranoid about my b58. The last oil change I had done, a few hundred miles ago, I was between a rock and a hard place. I have a camera in the car and I know that if I leave it at the dealer for something as simple as an oil change it gets driven back & forth 8 times by 4 different valets. With CPO coverage over for the 340i, I went to my indy, I don't think they have done many b58's. I think they went with their usual 5w40. I realize the bmw spec for the oil is 0w20. Is the 40-weight a risk for the bearings?
Nah, doubt it. Itís also worth noting that the 0w20 garbage is US market only. Everywhere else runs 0w30.
__________________
2011 M3
2006 Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
2004 X5 3.0i 6MT
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo


Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Saw a GTO for the first time in many months. nate Car Talk 8 07-26-2004 03:12 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Forums © 2003-2008, 'Mudgeon Enterprises - Site hosting by AYN & Associates, LLC