carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Technical Superiority > Spit Shined

Old 09-18-2021, 03:26 PM   #61
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
Now up to six total washes and 3,300 total miles since applying Sonax PNS four months ago (minus 10 days). In the eight weeks since the last update, it's had two washes and been on two road trips (DC to/from Bristol, TN and Toledo, OH) accounting for about 1,700 highway miles.

Water still beads and sheets off as well as the last update. Cleaning up bugs is like nothing. Leaf blower effectiveness is further degraded than the last update and I'm having thoughts about reapplication to bring it back. After the last few washes, I've reapplied in a few small areas after using Mothers R3 Rubber Remover to remove some cone juice and some Citrol APC to clean up some unknown substances that found their way onto the car.
After returning from Lincoln, NE last week, I reapplied Sonax PNS. To clean up cone juice, seam filler marks, and some unknown stuff on basically all vertical surfaces, plus some spots higher up where I others had touched or rubbed it.

I knew I was going to do it before starting the last wash with the original application because of how much had been removed everywhere. Water still beaded and sheeted just as well as when fresh (except where it had been removed), but the leaf blower just left behind too much water compared to when the product was fresh. I did not give time for bugs to bake in as I washed the car the day after completing the 1,300 mile drives to/from Lincoln, but it took very little effort beyond pointing a hose at them.

So, final stats before reapplication was necessary for me (which is probably earlier than it would be for most people)

6,871 miles
Five months (22 weeks)
9 total washes (8 at home, 1 in a DIY stall in Lincoln, NE)

I'm happy with that performance.

The new application went much faster and easier than the first application. Soon after my original application, Nick demonstrated his technique and I understand why he thinks it's so easy. While I could not let myself apply/remove in as carefree a style as Nick, I did see that I had probably been a bit too obsessive in some aspects and made a mental note to try it differently if I were to reapply. Fortunately, I recalled those notes and they were quite helpful.

Using an applicator sponge vs a microfiber towel to apply is a big help in getting the product on the surface. Sonax PNS is very tacky when applied and removed and has a habit of grabbing the medium you're using. Sponges don't lend themselves well to being grabbed. You can feel it, but it does not fuck up the application leading to uneven coverage and missed spots with a sponge like it does with a towel.

Using a towel for removal, using less pressure than I used the first time lessens the grabbiness of the product, so removal is easier. It's still a PITA, but this was maybe only 30% as bad as the first time.

Also, I applied in larger sections this time as I probably took the "apply in small sections" instructions a bit too far. The last thing that I think helped was that I spent a lot less effort on being sure to remove every last bit of product before moving on. That was a big time suck the first time. By making a good faith effort on the initial removal pass and then leaving whatever to the end was very helpful. On first application, I took the "be sure to remove the product promptly" type instructions too literally. After my first application I also found spots where I hadn't removed all of it a few days later and it came off just fine. You can do the whole car and then come back for touch ups without ill effect.

All told, this second application was still more of a PITA than Meguiar's Fast Finish, but not too much and not so hateful like it was the first time.

Quote:
OTHER STUFF

I still need to correct the paint. It's annoying me more and more. Also starting to pick up some chips. Oh well.
Really, really, really need the paint correction. Last winter, I decided I was going to reward myself for doing something I was dragging my feet on by getting a really nice random orbital and I finally did the thing in early August...but haven't bought it yet. I think I'm going to tell my family they should get it (and some pads and product) for my upcoming birthday.

But it really needs it. Once I do that, I can put Paint Protection Film on the sections in front of the rear wheel wells where it's most vulnerable and was a problem on the turbo.

Quote:
Gtechniq G1 Glass Coating
In late June, just before heading for Bristol, I applied a Gtechniq coating to the exterior glass.

So, was it worth it?
After two and a half months and 3,500 miles, I would answer with an unqualified yes. Seems to be working just as well as when it was brand new and no real changes to what I wrote last time. Not sure if it's protecting at all against pitting, but I also can't say that I know it's not, so that's good. (I don't expect it to help, but I'll hope as long as I can.)

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 12:22 PM   #62
Nick M3
Relic

Decided to give the AM Details Quick Detailer Plus a shot with the laziest technique possible: Mist it on before drying.

So far, it feels very pleasingly slick. Will be interesting to see how it does. Of course, it doesn’t have to be *that* durable if I can reup easily every time I wash the car.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	53637A01-6574-4BE6-8A7C-86214498B414.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	1.48 MB
ID:	14073  
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 03:06 PM   #63
Nick M3
Relic

As a side note, the autofiber dreadnought drying towel in absolutely incredible.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Old 12-11-2021, 05:32 PM   #64
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M3 View Post
Decided to give the AM Details Quick Detailer Plus a shot with the laziest technique possible: Mist it on before drying.

So far, it feels very pleasingly slick. Will be interesting to see how it does. Of course, it doesn’t have to be *that* durable if I can reup easily every time I wash the car.
Quote:
As a side note, the autofiber dreadnought drying towel in absolutely incredible.
So, you wash and then spray the QD while drying with the towel (which generally how you're supposed to do it)?

I've experimented with a few different quick detailer/drying aids lately.

I used Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer for much of the summer and it worked well, but I wasn't wild about the amount of water spots I was left with that often took a second round of "drying" to get rid of. It certainly helped maintain the hydrophobic PNS properties, though, so kinda worth it.

Later in the fall, I got a gallon of Superior Products Formula 4 Spray Wax which is intended for commercial car wash applications as the extra charge "wax," but I'd seen a lot of people talking about being a really drying aid when diluted down to 10:1 or so. I was happier with it in terms of "drying" without water spots than the Sonax, but I'm not totally sure how it does in terms of helping ensure water beads or sheets.

I started using it with at the end of the first application of PNS when water wasn't blowing off very easy to begin with. Then, I changed the car wash product I had been using because it was about the same time as getting the pressure washer and foam cannon. That was Chemical Guys Honeydew Snow Foam. When washing, it felt like the wash mitt had more drag. After a couple washes with the Formula 4, it seemed like the PNS performance was severely degraded as water did not blow off like expected from the first application. I had similar experiences with those products on my wife's RAV4, so I'm hesitant use either of them again, but I will.

Today was the first wash after polishing and reapplying PNS a couple weeks ago. I went back to washing with the Sonax basic car wash shampoo that I had been using (it works with the foam cannon...it's just not as foamy). This time I used "OG Drying Aid." Obsessed Garage is a company that sells mostly very expensive stuff that's run by a guy with a significant OCD that he's channeled into detailing. He does a lot of Youtube videos. He's kind of insufferable, and he's not-quite-right about a lot of stuff, but his obsessiveness is helpful if you get into this stuff.

The stuff he sells generally isn't cheap and almost nothing is his. He combines and/or configures stuff, and sells some products that are generally commercial and not sold at retail. He buys a bunch and then resells to his disciples, basically. Anyway, he had a decent Black Friday sale and I bought some of his closeout stuff at nice discount and to add a couple more bucks to the order and get free shipping, I bought a gallon of his "OG Drying Aid" which is actually P&S Bead Maker without the dyes and perfumes. Bead Maker is supposed to be super hydrophobic. Even without the BF sale, it's a tad bit cheaper than Bead Maker, too.

Will post how that performs once I know, but the application was good. And the car looks fucking amazing. Wish there was some sun today after I finished, too.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7579.jpeg
Views:	377
Size:	1.54 MB
ID:	14076  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7584.jpeg
Views:	396
Size:	1.83 MB
ID:	14077  

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 12-11-2021, 06:19 PM   #65
clyde
Chief title editor

This is excessive, imperfect, and mostly intended to be a future reference point for myself. It's just a bunch of passes from multiple directions hoping to catch any remaining paint imperfections. if you watch it, you may want to mute it. The only sound is some occasional wind noise.

As I recorded it, I kept wondering a neighbor would walk by and ask me if I was putting it on BaT.

The car really looks good.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 12-11-2021, 08:40 PM   #66
Nick M3
Relic

I misted it on wet, then dried the car.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Old 06-18-2022, 05:27 PM   #67
dan
redefined

I thought this was a really good video that explains each step of the paint correction process

https://youtu.be/6tepA3wjPbY

Old 09-02-2022, 08:32 AM   #68
Nick M3
Relic

fwiw, i decided to try gyeon wet coat based on SCA’s recommendation. i can’t speak to durability, the shiny slickness it gives is awesome. i’m not getting rid of the AM Details QD+, but i think i will generally use it as QD going forward.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Old 09-03-2022, 06:28 PM   #69
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
fwiw, i decided to try gyeon wet coat based on SCA’s recommendation. i can’t speak to durability, the shiny slickness it gives is awesome. i’m not getting rid of the AM Details QD+, but i think i will generally use it as QD going forward.
I am a fan! I have been using it since 2017. It adds gloss too… Its hydrophobic properties are great as well! On a garage kept vehicle it will last 3+ months. If you use Gyeon Bathe+ for maintenance washes, Wet Coat will last even longer.

BTW, Wet Coat is not really a QD. It is a temporary SiO2 coating. 5 years ago -> Gyeon Wet Coat review - Esoteric Car Care: https://youtu.be/obG572fSQB4

Edit, The product has been modified once since it was released. Gyeon added additional gloss and durability.

Last edited by SCA; 09-03-2022 at 07:10 PM.
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 06:30 PM   #70
dan
redefined

So Gyeon Wet Coat on top of Sonax PNS, Nick?