carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 07-08-2021, 10:06 PM   #1
Biggins
Crotchety

Carmudgeonly Ride: 22 Tiguan, 11 328i
Time for Something Different!

After buying my FR-S new in 2012 and enjoying it for the first 7 years of ownership, I began having little things pop up with the engine (ignition coils, fuel mix/delivery issues, burned up direct injector, etc) for the past couple years. Toyota mandated a recall that I had a local dealer do two years ago. I rarely drove the car for the past two years until this autocross season started, but the engine fully let go in rural WV last month. I love this car, but I'm done with it. I put 3,200 miles on the car since Toyota had the (Subaru) engine apart and at the dealer for over a month. I had my worries and was going to trade it for a 2017+ model year, but I waited too long. I'll join the class action suit because dozens/hundred other owners have had catastrophic engine failure like me. Toyota/dealer claimed the engine failure was due to hydro lock from overfilling the oil by at least 2 quarts... not sure how they came up with that. So, my car is awaiting a used engine at a trusted independent shop, though I was very tempted to swap in a Honda K24 engine.

https://jalopnik.com/scion-fr-s-and-...ast-1833220101

I have a second kid on the way any day, so I decided to look for something more comfortable with a back seat that can still be fun-ish to drive for ~2 years. With prices where they are, i will wait a few months or so for the market to calm down. My list is below, but I'm leaning more toward "sporty" comfort (and wanting to try a BMW again) than autocross performance... am i missing any cars in the $20-25k range? I'm not big on VW products. I would probably do lowering springs and new rims/tires on the less sportier options below. I want a manual but am considering good automatics ( ugh).

BMW 128i/328i coupes
BMW 228/M235i/428/435 coupes
Kia Stinger
Hyundai Veloster/Elantra N
Honda Civic Si/Accord 2.0T
Acura ILX/TLX
Mazda3 Turbo
Biggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 10:32 PM   #2
clyde
Chief title editor

I haven't heard any Veloster N owners regretting their purchase decision. It's at a disadvantage to the Type R in autocross, but can hold its own in DS.

I think you've driven and competed in the 10th gen Civic Si, so you should know what you're getting. The Accord is surprisingly strong in HS and is no one would look at you funny for putting kids in the back seat for a road trip and you wouldn't hate it when you get there.

Not sure I could do one of the lower end Stingers, but that's me.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 08:06 AM   #3
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggins View Post
After buying my FR-S new in 2012 and enjoying it for the first 7 years of ownership, I began having little things pop up with the engine (ignition coils, fuel mix/delivery issues, burned up direct injector, etc) for the past couple years. Toyota mandated a recall that I had a local dealer do two years ago. I rarely drove the car for the past two years until this autocross season started, but the engine fully let go in rural WV last month. I love this car, but I'm done with it. I put 3,200 miles on the car since Toyota had the (Subaru) engine apart and at the dealer for over a month. I had my worries and was going to trade it for a 2017+ model year, but I waited too long. I'll join the class action suit because dozens/hundred other owners have had catastrophic engine failure like me. Toyota/dealer claimed the engine failure was due to hydro lock from overfilling the oil by at least 2 quarts... not sure how they came up with that. So, my car is awaiting a used engine at a trusted independent shop, though I was very tempted to swap in a Honda K24 engine.

https://jalopnik.com/scion-fr-s-and-...ast-1833220101

I have a second kid on the way any day, so I decided to look for something more comfortable with a back seat that can still be fun-ish to drive for ~2 years. With prices where they are, i will wait a few months or so for the market to calm down. My list is below, but I'm leaning more toward "sporty" comfort (and wanting to try a BMW again) than autocross performance... am i missing any cars in the $20-25k range? I'm not big on VW products. I would probably do lowering springs and new rims/tires on the less sportier options below. I want a manual but am considering good automatics ( ugh).

BMW 128i/328i coupes
BMW 228/M235i/428/435 coupes
Kia Stinger
Hyundai Veloster/Elantra N
Honda Civic Si/Accord 2.0T
Acura ILX/TLX
Mazda3 Turbo
I still absolutely love my 1 series. You can easily get a nice n55 car in your price range.l, which fits it better and would give you flexibility to add power if your use case changed. The 128 is really solid with the n52 engine, but lacks hp. In the convertible with the top down, the back seat is very useable considering the size of the car. Not sure how the coupe is.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 08:48 AM   #4
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
I think you would prefer the 1 series to the 2. But the 2 would get you some creature comforts and better tech. That price would probably get you a decent used 228/230. Maybe an M235 from the earliest years.

The Mazda3 Turbo with hatch would be a very practical family second car, while still being moderately fun to drive.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 11:44 AM   #5
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
The Mazda3 Turbo with hatch would be a very practical family second car, while still being
moderately fun to drive.
Be sure to drive on first, I owned one awhile back and was very disappointed by it. I read all the reviews raving about the handling. Guess it is better then a civic or corolla but not good compared to the cars we drive on this board.
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 12:57 PM   #6
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post
Be sure to drive on first, I owned one awhile back and was very disappointed by it. I read all the reviews raving about the handling. Guess it is better then a civic or corolla but not good compared to the cars we drive on this board.
Interesting. I have not driven one.
Old 07-09-2021, 05:58 PM   #7
Biggins
Crotchety

Thanks for all the suggestions!

I've wanted a 128i for a while and it's the most affordable option here, but I've been thinking the more modern tech-ish features are something I shouldn't rule out.

I think a 2 or 4 series coupe with rims and lowering springs is what I envision as the best fit for the timeframe, but the options with more doors are probably what I'll end up choosing. I'm definitely going to do some test drives before making any decisions. As much as I love autocross, I might be on a break from it until next year.
Old 07-10-2021, 12:53 AM   #8
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggins View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions!

I've wanted a 128i for a while and it's the most affordable option here, but I've been thinking the more modern tech-ish features are something I shouldn't rule out.

I think a 2 or 4 series coupe with rims and lowering springs is what I envision as the best fit for the timeframe, but the options with more doors are probably what I'll end up choosing. I'm definitely going to do some test drives before making any decisions. As much as I love autocross, I might be on a break from it until next year.
With the 128/135 if you get a nav model, you can easily add wireless carplay or android auto if that matters. I can talk you through it.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 08:06 AM   #9
wdc330i
dogged

It’s such a shame we never got the RWD four-door hatch versions of the 1 over here. And was there the same for the 2? Or just the FWD Tourer?

Last edited by wdc330i; 07-10-2021 at 08:28 AM.
Old 08-11-2021, 11:43 PM   #10
Biggins
Crotchety

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
It’s such a shame we never got the RWD four-door hatch versions of the 1 over here. And was there the same for the 2? Or just the FWD Tourer?
I would love the 1-series hatch. I think the closest thing we got to that was the first gen X1?

I sold the FR-S today to Carvana. Their number was significantly higher than Carmax, KBB "dealer" offer, and Vroom. They sent someone in an Uber and drove it away. I thought I would own this car forever, but it made sense to sell it after the engine died following the dealer recall. An indy shop put in a new engine for me to get the car sold for WAY less than what Toyota wanted (after they caused the issue).

I'm more confused on what to buy now. I'm finding each day that two kids need a lot more space than I hoped/anticipated... Prices are too high on everything right now, so the plan is to wait out these crazy prices unless some magical perfect car/deal comes up OR I truly have the need for a second car in coming months.