carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 02-10-2019, 10:47 PM   #1
JST

I'm bored

Need some sort of car-related project or distraction. The Tesla is great, the VW is great, both are fun cars to drive daily, but both are essentially "finished;" there's nothing more to do to either one.

The Porsche is also great, but JFC this week marks my 9th year of ownership, so it's not exactly fresh. I still love to drive it, on the rare occasions when I do--it's so much better, dynamically, than anything else I've owned, it's embarrassing, especially since it was built 13 years ago.

So, what should I do? Maybe it's time to sell the Boxster and move on to something else that would both be more interesting and something I could drive more (i.e., have kidspace). Like...idk. Visiting Nick's garage left ideas in my head about older BMWs. Like that 94 M3 on BaT. Or (even better) something like the perfect E36 M3/4.

Or maybe one of those 928s.

Or should I just go back to track driving? It's been laughably long but that was fun.

Thoughts? Input?
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 11:15 PM   #2
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Maybe you need something crazy. Motorcycle-ish. Like an Atom, Caterham, or even just an Elise. Something uncomfortable and stupid but totally different and super raw.

How about a used 4C?
FC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 11:29 PM   #3
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
Maybe you need something crazy. Motorcycle-ish. Like an Atom, Caterham, or even just an Elise. Something uncomfortable and stupid but totally different and super raw.

How about a used 4C?
I don't think I need something *less* practical than the Boxster. If I'm going to buy something else, I think it has to have four seats. Otherwise it'll just end up sitting under a cover in the backyard like the Porsche does now.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 12:35 AM   #4
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Of course I am going to recommend a 1er convertible. But knowing that suggestion won't fly, what about swapping the boxster with your parents mustang for a month or so and seeing if you use it anymore, if the kid(s) accept the backseat and if you enjoy the different feel of a v8.

Also, amv8s are a cheap and sexy alternative to the 991 you'll inevitably wind up with
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 05:28 AM   #5
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Get a garage and start wrenching on something interesting.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 06:53 AM   #6
ff

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
Atom
I'm with FC on this one, JST. Even though you already shot down the idea
ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 07:54 AM   #7
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Get back into an e36 M3C for awhile? It would be a shame to lose the top down element in the fleet.
wdc330i is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 08:01 AM   #8
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Wrangler Ultd with a huge lift. But with a MT. It will be different. It will make you like the other cars more.
FC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 08:45 AM   #9
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
In all seriousness, your place doesn't have a garage, right? So buying something old (a 928? Seriously?) that will break down all the time or at the very least have frequent niggling failures is going to get old really fast without a place to work on it. And do you really want to work on old cars, anyway?

I'm with you on the "I'm bored" thing, and that was part of the motivation for starting the build on the RX-8. Worst case it was going to keep me occupied for a few years and prevent me from buying something new and shiny.

Best case, it confirmed to me that I'm just not that into "new and shiny" anymore. But I've got the space to work on stuff, and I don't have a lot of other stuff taking up time (like kids and pet rats).

So, I dunno, my suggestion would be to do one of two things (or maybe both). 1) Find out what the various orgs have planned for track events this year, and take the Boxster out to see if it scratches the itch. If not, then 2) go drive an old (something) and see if that scratches the itch. Maybe an E36. Maybe an E46 M. But not, for the love of god, a 928.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 09:46 AM   #10
Biggins
Crotchety

Carmudgeonly Ride: 22 Tiguan, 11 328i
Do you like Mercedes? I saw a very clean '90s SL600 last weekend that sounded awesome too. It's definitely not a good idea if you want to do something on track, but I don't remember the last time I saw one... I'm sure there are other obscure MBs that are kind of cool.

Lexus IS-F
Infiniti G35
Some weird JDM 25 year import rule thing?
Biggins is offline   Reply With Quote