carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 01-19-2005, 01:39 PM   #21
Roadstergal
Butting in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwg
If you think the BMW clutches are bad (some of them are), you should try the clutch in the Volvo.
Oh, I'm sure there are worse. The BMW is kinda middlin' in the vagueness area. I test-drove a Scooby this weekend, for the helluvit, and the clutch was grabbier than a BMW's.
Old 01-19-2005, 01:49 PM   #22
GregE_325
Confused

Carmudgeonly Ride: 2019 RAM 1500 Laramie Longhorn / 2011 BMW 328iC
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST

Grabby clutches are good for going fast, but they are a PITA in stop-and-go driving, especially in a car like the M3 that has a lot of driveline lash.

Yes, it's definitely at its worst when it is stop-and-go. But I've never driven a car that seems to want to stall so easily when coming to a stop. With most manual cars (from my experience), you don't have to push the clutch in until the car is almost stopped. With the Mazda 3, the engine starts to stall while the car is still rolling along reasonably well. I really don't understand why.
In addition, when the car is starting off in first and I'm completely off of the clutch pedal and accelerating, the car shudders and hesitates like the driveline is just overwhelmed, or fuel flow isn't constant. It's hard to describe, but the acceleration isn't linear.
It's most likely not the correct line of thinking, but it seems like the clutch is just a little "weak", for lack of a better term.
GregE_325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 02:03 PM   #23
ff

TD, your comments match my experience very closely. I test drove a 3 before buying the MINI last summer, and thought that it was an outstanding car for the money. Felt very much like the E46 does on the road. Very well-executed car by Mazda.
ff is offline   Reply With Quote