carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 05-25-2010, 05:04 PM   #1
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Cayenne loaner

I got a 2010 base model to drive around while my cayman is in for an oil change and some minor complaints (warranty will be up soon). I don't drive this class of car much (SUV and/or slushy) but here are some tidbits:

Pros:
-steering (nicely weighted and somewhat responsive)
-handling (for the class)
-brakes (the usual german stuff that's nice overkill for the US streets)
-Tiptronic fairly smooth & responsive (again for a slushy)
- would be a good ski/bike trip car and not much else
- it does seem to have controls for locking center and rear diffs

Cons:
- driver seat is uncomfortable to me, my thighs don't fit between the bolsters (like in e90 ZSP's)
- ride is so-so (even with somewhat low PSI's)
- with a v6 engine it just doesn't move (my a4 2.0T is way way faster than this)
- sounds harsh when thrashed (thnks small animals in pain, you learn not to do this much)
- pain to pull in to my garage (no rear-view camera even though it has nav)
- climate control bits feel super-cheap

I seem to get around 17-18mpg's. It is a lot better than the Lincoln version of the Edge-thingy that was last year's service loaner. It's been a while since I've driven it, but my memory of the Q5 is that it is much better on tarmac. It's also a lot smaller, but the Cayenne is supposed to be shrinking for '11 as well (losing 400lbs apparently, as well as the diffs).

The vw/audi/porsche overlap/cannibalization is interesting. There is so much redundancy, yet they probably make more money this way... for now. Sort of like a German GM.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 10:54 PM   #2
Mr. The Edge
Don't worry, be happy

Carmudgeonly Ride: AW '05 645Cic & '11 Infiniti QX56
We test drove a Cayenne for my wife a few years back. Gutless. Not impressed at all.
Mr. The Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 11:09 PM   #3
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Plus, I think they're especially heinous to look at.

Edit: But I have to admit, I didn't even test drive one. When we were in the market for one of those things, the third row--however cramped--was a prerequisite. Why have something that big, if it can't do more than what a comparable wagon can do?
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 08:51 AM   #4
equ
Alphanumeric

It really is big, but I'm kind of liking the solid feel and unexpectedly good handling. A set of giant michelin latitudes must be a contributor. The 2010 (outgoing generation) must be the rare SUV that has pavement performance and true off-road skills (lockable diffs). It feels better than the x5's in my distant memory (but I haven't driven the new gen and it really has been a while). I could almost see myself having one, eye openingly large, it would be so easy to put bikes/skis. But I do find it very hard to notice all the little people (peds/small cars) running around. It would be stressful in these dense parts. I'd probably run over somebody without noticing.

The engine is the downer. It's such a heavy truck, it needs low-end torque, not thrashy rpm's. Perfect diesel candidate.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:10 AM   #5
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
It really is big, but I'm kind of liking the solid feel and unexpectedly good handling. A set of giant michelin latitudes must be a contributor. The 2010 (outgoing generation) must be the rare SUV that has pavement performance and true off-road skills (lockable diffs). It feels better than the x5's in my distant memory (but I haven't driven the new gen and it really has been a while). I could almost see myself having one, eye openingly large, it would be so easy to put bikes/skis. But I do find it very hard to notice all the little people (peds/small cars) running around. It would be stressful in these dense parts. I'd probably run over somebody without noticing.

The engine is the downer. It's such a heavy truck, it needs low-end torque, not thrashy rpm's. Perfect diesel candidate.
I have the Latitudes on my X. They feel great, even in RFT form. Yes, you should try the new gen, maybe in a diesel. Definitely with sport package/anti-roll. It's a darn good vehicle. Back-up camera is a must. With it, and the truly great visibility through the large greenhouse and and big mirrors, you have no problems seeing everything.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 06:26 PM   #6
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
betcha it'll be even better when they rid it of some this gen's weight.

a cayenne v6 is a safety hazard because it'd be so slow to merge in traffic at speed.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 06:47 PM   #7
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: X5 M50 / M550
I took a Cayenne V6 on a trip from RI to Jersey a few years ago.... ugh, what a bad decision I made. Super slow is an understatement... it was like the fat kid in gym class that always ran out of breath when trying to run laps. Handling was pretty good for an SUV and it was comfortable enough, but that car needed the V8. Hopefully the new-gen will be a noticeable improvement now that it has been on a diet.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:49 PM   #8
lupinsea
Jeeped

Carmudgeonly Ride: Modified Jeep Tj and '07 Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
The 2010 (outgoing generation) must be the rare SUV that has pavement performance and true off-road skills (lockable diffs).

"Jeep is the only true American sports car*" - Enzo Ferrari

* Or something to that effect.
lupinsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 08:14 PM   #9
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
a cayenne v6 is a safety hazard because it'd be so slow to merge in traffic at speed.
The awful slothlike HHR rental I'm driving scares me daily on onramps.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:21 PM   #10
equ
Alphanumeric

I guess I must have low standards. I really think the cayenne is a perfect match to the mindless flow of traffic around here. And the v6 (08+, the 290hp version) has enough pep. Not fun, but it's a stretch to call it super slow.