carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 04-26-2019, 11:23 AM   #11
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
That is the beauty of the Z3 coupe, it is so ugly that only enthusiast drive them Not obnoxious bangle ugly just ugly
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 12:20 PM   #12
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M3 View Post
Honestly, I think that the Z3 coupe looks less terrible than the 1 series. (They are both ugly.)

I also regard the E30 rear suspension as a net-positive. It’s part of what makes them so interesting to drive. And given that on 1998 tires, and with the S50B32 (which is meaningfully slower than the S54, as much as I like it), the Z3M was only 8 seconds slower around the Nurburgring, you could make a plausible argument that the 1M actually handles *worse* with its parts bin E9x M3 suspension.
The 1M is like an entertaining bulldog puppy, pulling hither and thither, and has four seats, a high greenhouse and CoG. I liked it; not enough to drop everything and buy it, but still fun. It did seem to have just slightly less roadholding and refinement than the e9x m3 but more readily available torque and oversteer.

The z3, as dated as it is, is a different category, 2-seater, low CoG, light weight sports car.

I happen to think the z3 coupe has a terrible design unlike the roadster. I get it that liking the ugly is almost a badge of worshiping the roundel at this point. See the recent Jalopnik film about it here:
https://jalopnik.com/how-the-clown-s...ugl-1833946317

There are other bmw fans like me (and perhaps Matt) who have owned these cars and engines since around the time some of the clown shoe fans were in short pants. Not all of us have to like it. I love LSB but honestly could care less if there were a hundred LSB s54 z3m coupes or not; or if they're worth a lot to some people. I've had my five years with a LSB s54 e46 m3 and I still absolutely prefer that car. I hand the 2-seater category to porsche.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 12:30 PM   #13
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
The 1M is like an entertaining bulldog puppy, pulling hither and thither, and has four seats, a high greenhouse and CoG. I liked it; not enough to drop everything and buy it, but still fun. It did seem to have just slightly less roadholding and refinement than the e9x m3 but more readily available torque and oversteer.

The z3, as dated as it is, is a different category, 2-seater, low CoG, light weight sports car.

I happen to think the z3 coupe has a terrible design unlike the roadster. I get it that liking the ugly is almost a badge of worshiping the roundel at this point. See the recent Jalopnik film about it here:
https://jalopnik.com/how-the-clown-s...ugl-1833946317

There are other bmw fans like me (and perhaps Matt) who have owned these cars and engines since around the time some of the clown shoe fans were in short pants. Not all of us have to like it. I love LSB but honestly could care less if there were a hundred LSB s54 z3m coupes or not; or if they're worth a lot to some people. I've had my five years with a LSB s54 e46 m3 and I still absolutely prefer that car. I hand the 2-seater category to porsche.
Great link. Sent it to an architect friend of mine who has an Imola one.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 03:32 PM   #14
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
My mom had an early Z3 -- I think it was a '96, but possibly a '97. It was a 4 cylinder with stick. Not terribly fast, but it was a blast to drive.

As a car, it was pretty crappy. The early Z3s had a really pathetic and plastic-filled interior. The later ones didn't really have a design change, but BMW did upgrade the materials a bit (although the wood-trim always looked aftermarket)...
Old 04-26-2019, 03:36 PM   #15
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
My mom had an early Z3 -- I think it was a '96, but possibly a '97. It was a 4 cylinder with stick. Not terribly fast, but it was a blast to drive.

As a car, it was pretty crappy. The early Z3s had a really pathetic and plastic-filled interior. The later ones didn't really have a design change, but BMW did upgrade the materials a bit (although the wood-trim always looked aftermarket)...
True. Also, our 2001 Z3 2.5 had an issue with wobbly seat rails they could never fix.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 05:23 PM   #16
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
I had an M Coupe.

It was a blast.

That written id get a C5 z06 if I wanted to go back to that era in car. More power and more fun to drive to me —the E36/8 is still super charming.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 06:51 AM   #17
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Good on your... I couldn't go back to a C5. Or even a C6. Looking at those interiors brings me no joy whatsoever. And the driving experience wasn't good enough to suffer through it.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote