carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 03-15-2019, 04:59 PM   #11
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
I prefer the Torchinsky box. Having had a swept rear roofline in the Macan, I'm not a fan in a utility vehicle. Give me the shape of the JGC (or something even boxier) any day. The damned X6 may be started this trend.

I'm meh on this car. It seems like they did the right thing and played it safe. The Model 3 is roomy enough to begin with, this shouldn't be so bad. What I don't get is how on earth three rows fit in there. Did I read it wrong?
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 06:07 PM   #12
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
I agree with this comment on autoblog

Quote:
The major issue with Model 3 is that it should have been a fastback not sedan.
Looking at the Y again I actually might prefer it if they didn't lift it because of the hatch
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 08:48 PM   #13
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Hideous.

And obsolete in two years when the mainstream automakers all load up in this EV Crossover space.

Tesla is the Palm Treo all over again. I’m happy for early adopters who benefit. But I’m happy to wait for a mainstream automaker with a dealer network.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 10:00 PM   #14
JST

People have been saying that—wait two years for the mainstream makes to flood the market—at least since I bought my first Tesla, 6 years ago.

Don’t be so sure. Tesla’s battery tech is maybe farther ahead than ppl think.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 10:21 PM   #15
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
People have been saying that—wait two years for the mainstream makes to flood the market—at least since I bought my first Tesla, 6 years ago.

Don’t be so sure. Tesla’s battery tech is maybe farther ahead than ppl think.
That’s their power play, so to speak.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 10:25 PM   #16
robg
Carmudgeon

Tesla Model Y

It’s not as bad as I thought it would be - just bland. Kind of reminds me vaguely of a Ford - maybe the cmax?

But I don’t think styling is going to make or break it. They just need to demonstrate that can build cars consistently and properly and with maybe less histrionics from the ceo.

Their real advantage is the supercharger network imo. Hard to tell yet how well VWs penance network is going to compete. If it weren’t for that I’d get an etron all day over this if I were in the market.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 12:01 AM   #17
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
That’s their power play, so to speak.
Ooooooohhhhhhh man.

In terms of other manufacturers steamrolling Tesla, I love how everyone forgets about the supercharger network as if it's not a big deal. It's YUGE. Changes everything.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 05:18 AM   #18
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
Ooooooohhhhhhh man.

In terms of other manufacturers steamrolling Tesla, I love how everyone forgets about the supercharger network as if it's not a big deal. It's YUGE. Changes everything.

Okay.

Supercharger network doesn’t change market saturation.

We’ve talked about this.

You can mop up suburbanites. But you won’t penetrate the urban market in time for the biggies to come with their EVs.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 08:03 AM   #19
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
I don't know. Looking here, it appears that there are a lot of DC fast chargers out there that are not Superchargers. VW has had some problems with Electrify America, but they're still rolling out charging locations pretty fast. It always seemed odd to me that Tesla created a standard that is locked to their cars - they missed a potential revenue stream by not enabling Superchargers to charge other cars.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 08:26 AM   #20
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
I don't know. Looking here, it appears that there are a lot of DC fast chargers out there that are not Superchargers. VW has had some problems with Electrify America, but they're still rolling out charging locations pretty fast. It always seemed odd to me that Tesla created a standard that is locked to their cars - they missed a potential revenue stream by not enabling Superchargers to charge other cars.
That can be deceiving for a few reasons. First, other DC fast chargers aren't as fast as Superchargers. Second, in most cases a DC fast charger will only have a single outlet. If a car is already there when you get there, you're hosed. There's also rarely any kind of on-line status available. Third, in many cases the chargers run by third party networks aren't reliably on line when you get there, which can be a problem if you don't have much divert range/time. Fourth, a lot of those chargers are at car dealers. And finally, there are two other DC fast charger standards, so whichever one you have you can't use the other.

Which isn't to say that there aren't other charging options out there. Just, from a practical standpoint, it's hard to overstate how much better the Supercharger network is for actual travel/use than anything else out there. It's a HUGE advantage for Tesla.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote