carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 06-08-2020, 10:13 AM   #11
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
A second vote for Tekton... I'm not a heavy user (three cars x 4 wheel swaps x 2 a year x five years now?) plus other occasional use (e.g. motorcycle handlebar or headbolts or exhaust swaps). It's been great, but I have no reference point. Somehow, I think Alan will go for something heavier duty... It's top torque is something like 160ft-lb, but I doubt I'd use it for anything beyond the Porsche 120-130ft-lbs or whatever they are (I look it up every time). BMW, Audi/VW are all 90 to 100ft-lbs.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 10:25 AM   #12
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
A second vote for Tekton... I'm not a heavy user (three cars x 4 wheel swaps x 2 a year x five years now?) plus other occasional use (e.g. motorcycle handlebar or headbolts or exhaust swaps). It's been great, but I have no reference point. Somehow, I think Alan will go for something heavier duty... It's top torque is something like 160ft-lb, but I doubt I'd use it for anything beyond the Porsche 120-130ft-lbs or whatever they are (I look it up every time). BMW, Audi/VW are all 90 to 100ft-lbs.
They highest I've used on a vehicle is 140Nm (105lb-ft) on the LR4 that has large lug nuts (22mm socket).

But the issue with those tools is that they tend to be short, like my original Craftsman. I like my tool's longer length because it's a piece of cake to generate that torque and also usually comfortably clears the wheel and body work.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 11:09 AM   #13
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
They highest I've used on a vehicle is 140Nm (105lb-ft) on the LR4 that has large lug nuts (22mm socket).

But the issue with those tools is that they tend to be short, like my original Craftsman. I like my tool's longer length because it's a piece of cake to generate that torque and also usually comfortably clears the wheel and body work.
Porsche 981/991 specify 118ft-lb on 19mm bolts.

If I only used a torque wrench for wheels, I could see going bigger, but a longer one would be unwieldy/worse for my motorcycle use case.

I also have one for bicycle bolts that I keep braking. Rav-X? Up to 15Nm. My heavy hands have done a lot of damage to brake lever casings, but fortunately I haven't cracked a frame or an irreplaceable campagnolo bolt. I generally set to 4 or 5Nm for most things and rarely to 8-10 or also occasionally to 2 for tiny ones.

Last edited by equ; 06-08-2020 at 11:19 AM.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 11:25 AM   #14
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Porsche 981/991 specify 118ft-lb on 19mm bolts.

If I only used a torque wrench for wheels, I could see going bigger, but a longer one would be unwieldy/worse for my motorcycle use case.

I also have one for bicycle bolts that I keep braking. Rav-X? Up to 15Nm. My heavy hands have done a lot of damage to brake lever casings, but fortunately I haven't cracked a frame or an irreplaceable campagnolo bolt. I generally set to 4 or 5Nm for most things and rarely to 8-10 or also occasionally to 2 for tiny ones.
No doubt. My 1/2 wrench is annoyingly long in tight spots. But that is why I have a 3/8 wrench as well that goes a lot lower in range and it is much shorter as well. I've been dragging my feet for years to get a 1/4" drive for small torque values, but in all they years it's been on my wish list I've only would have used it a handful of times. It cost nearly as much as the large wrenches too so not a great investment for my use case.
Old 06-08-2020, 11:57 AM   #15
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
FWIW, the Tekton I linked is 25-250 ft-lbs.

The lower range Tekton is 10-150 ft-lbs. With most cars speced somewhere between 85-110 ft-lbs, it should be fine. The Camaro (like most GM trucks) is 140 and I have a (perhaps silly?) reluctance to use tools near the ends of their range when there's a reasonable alternative.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 05:45 PM   #16
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
I've had this one for about ten years and have been pleased with it.

https://www.jbtools.com/precision-in...SABEgIA2PD_BwE
Do they make it without the flexible head ... I was just going to order the one FC said but then read Nicks remark this one might be better ... I only change the wheels of one car twice a year ...
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 05:54 PM   #17
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Do they make it without the flexible head ... I was just going to order the one FC said but then read Nicks remark this one might be better ... I only change the wheels of one car twice a year ...
Not sure, but the flexible head is a nice feature in my mind; lets you clear deep offset wheels or wide fenders without having to use a really long extension on the socket. It's not so flexible that it bends without you intentionally making use of it.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 06:05 PM   #18
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Not sure, but the flexible head is a nice feature in my mind; lets you clear deep offset wheels or wide fenders without having to use a really long extension on the socket. It's not so flexible that it bends without you intentionally making use of it.
This is true.
Old 06-08-2020, 08:52 PM   #19
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Great point, I didn’t think of that, thanks I ordered it !!
Old 06-13-2020, 02:37 PM   #20
Alan
Carmudgeon

Ok so I got the torque wrench and I do think this thing must be great but the weight of it is on the heavy side.

Don’t get me wrong I am thankful for the suggestion but I get really worn out when I change the wheels ... lifting these ridiculously huge wheels and unstacking one set and re-stacking the set coming off the car it tires me out.

Is there a good torque wrench out there that is not *that* heavy ?

I think i’ll keep this one too but damn I must be getting old ... I need the light weight version