carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 03-24-2014, 06:51 AM   #741
JST

I'll say that I'm in the waitlist for the console but I probably won't buy it. I thought the lack of storage would be an issue but it's not. There's a little cubby under the screen that's big enough for all the crap I really need (parking permits, ez pass, etc). The rest of the stuff I typically jammed in the center console fits either in the glovebox or is just garbage I don't need.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 10:56 AM   #742
TD
Founder emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
Yep... It's now an option on new cars. Over 3000 existing owners are on the wait list (including me, although I'm not sure I'll actually order it...). They started delivering them a month or so ago. Will take them a while to deliver the wait list though...

http://shop.teslamotors.com/products...center-console
That would be a no-brainer for me.
TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 11:05 AM   #743
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD View Post
That would be a no-brainer for me.
I understand that feeling, but the open space is very nice to have. For example, I had an iPhone dock in the wagon, and while it was sort of nice for using Waze, it also made it difficult to actually pick the phone up and use it at a stoplight (for changing the music or whatever). Having it on a 1m cord and just dropping it into the open center works a lot better.

Like I said, at least 50 percent of the stuff I had in my center console was crap I didn't need to have in my car. I really don't think this console is as necessary as it may seem.
Old 03-24-2014, 04:16 PM   #744
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
That's why I'm mixed on the center console -- between the glove box and the cubby, most of my stuff has a place to go.

I bought a small black box from the Container Store -- its a glossy cardboard, but has a magnetic flap. Its about 5" square, and 2 inches high. It sits on the floor and holds a couple extra things out of sight (sunglass case, extra cord for an iPad or iPhone, and a microfiber sunglass cloth). While it sits on the floor, it blends in pretty well. I could put that stuff in the glove box, but I can reach the little box while driving if needed, while the glove box is a bit of a stretch...
Old 03-24-2014, 06:44 PM   #745
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
I understand that feeling, but the open space is very nice to have. For example, I had an iPhone dock in the wagon, and while it was sort of nice for using Waze, it also made it difficult to actually pick the phone up and use it at a stoplight (for changing the music or whatever). Having it on a 1m cord and just dropping it into the open center works a lot better.
http://www.proclipusa.com

Only reason to pick up the phone is to photograph a Camry Corner.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 08:32 PM   #746
ZBB
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
http://www.proclipusa.com

Only reason to pick up the phone is to photograph a Camry Corner.
Meh... neither of their Model S mounts look good...

Old 03-26-2014, 09:50 PM   #747
ZBB
Relic

Quote:
TMC forum hosted an owners conference last summer. They just announced the 2014 one -- happens to be in mid July, and also will include a track day at Laguna Seca.

The dates fit into our road trip next summer -- so looks like I may be able to join...

JST -- you in too?

Www.teslamotorsclub.com/connect/
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
I'll drive it out there for you, JST. Just pay for the gas. Er, uh,...
Quote:
Hmmm Tesla set up temporary Superchargers at the 2013 Refuel event... http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showt...l=1#post375384

Here's the page from the 2013 event... Looks like the cost to participate is very reasonable... Www.refuelraces.com
So I just registered for this year's Tesla owner's conference. Part of our big road trip to BC this summer...

The Refuel event registration isn't open yet, but I'm planning on doing that event too.
Old 04-26-2014, 04:35 PM   #748
JST

Cool detail that I just noticed; Tesla hid the mandatory yellow reflector in the lower light cluster. It's visible from the side (as required), but is inconspicuous at nearly any other angle.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:20 PM   #749
ZBB
Relic

So the Tesla turned 1 year old today...

Odometer says 16,893. I've never put that many miles on a car before -- highest prior was just over 14k. Interestingly, my wife's Countryman will turn 2 later this month -- and it has less miles on it than the Tesla -- just under 16k. I'm averaging ~300 miles more per month and she's averaging 300 miles less than before the Tesla -- we're taking the Tesla most of the time for family things.

Energy use over the first year was 4,961 kWh -- just under 5 megawatts! I averaged 297 Wh/mi, which is better than the EPA rating. To compare that to a gas car, that's equivalent to about 148 gallons of gas and 114 MPGe (EPA rating is 95 MPGe). Total cost for that electricity is about $450. Driving the same mileage in either of my 2 previous cars (which both averaged ~23 MPG) would have cost ~$2,700.

We've done 2 weekend trips (one to Tucson, the other to the Grand Canyon) that required destination charging. Total cost for charging on road trips was $0.

I've supercharged 3 times (twice on the Grand Canyon trip). Will do a bunch more supercharging on our big road trip later this summer.

Its received 9 software updates after delivery. 6 were OTA updates, 3 were done when in for service. Most were minor bug fixes, but new features have been added in some of the releases -- most importantly are "sleep mode" (which slows battery drain while parked) and map improvements to have a "car up" mode vs always being north up. They also added the owner's manual to the screen (not just a PDF file, but an applet with the manual in it). There are some smaller updates too -- like a "screen cleaning mode" that lets you clean the screen without it thinking your pushing all buttons at once. For some reason its still missing a random button when playing music from a USB stick -- hopefully that's part of the big 6.0 update slated for this summer...

It has been in a few times for service:
  • Main charger failed - replaced under warranty on day 9 of ownership
  • For a recall to verify and re-weld part of the rear seat bracket
  • For some delivery issues -- alignment was off and the interior rear-view mirror had a chip in it
  • For an issue with the sunroof -- it wouldn't close all the way on the passenger side all the time. They ordered a replacement track that will be installed next week.
  • The mobile charger was replaced during the first "annual" service (at 12,500 miles) due to a very small spot of visible melting on the adapter that goes into the wall. The same adapter was also recalled for this issue (and the new adapter arrived in April)
  • The main drive unit (i.e. "motor") was also replaced at the "annual" service. The car is noticeably more efficient since being replaced (I'm averaging about 15 Wh/mi lower than before the drive swap -- equivalent to 3-4 MPGe)
  • Its going in next week to replace a coolant pump (one of 3). Interestingly, I got a message on the dash saying "Car needs service -- Call Tesla Service". I called them and they were able to remotely diagnose the issue and confirm its safe to drive until the part comes in. Pretty amazing.

Cosmetically its holding up very well. I noticed a small door-ding scrape today (fortunately not a ding, just a scratch that should buff out). I got a big chip in the windshield in April. I also managed to curb 2 wheels (both my fault ). And I managed to pick up a slow leak in one tire a couple days ago -- I'm just topping the tire off once per day until I can get it in to a tire shop for a patch (probably just a nail)

Its still silent to drive. 2 small rattles have developed -- one on each side of the dash. I'll mention it when it goes in next week -- I suspect its a loose harness inside the dash (had one fixed on an earlier visit too).

Overall its a great car. Definitely some teething issues, but its absolutely amazing that a start up company has delivered such a fantastic product. Its truly the first car I think I'll keep as long as I can -- there's nothing else out there that I'd like. Perhaps a Model X or GenIII will replace it...
Old 06-05-2014, 08:38 AM   #750
clyde
Chief title editor

Cool.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote