carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 08-23-2018, 05:24 PM   #511
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Am I the only one who is annoyed that the LTE isn't free? Yeah, it's not that expensive.. But I already have a mobile device that I overpay for every month. I shouldn't have to buy another to use the radio in my car.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 06:45 PM   #512
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
Am I the only one who is annoyed that the LTE isn't free? Yeah, it's not that expensive.. But I already have a mobile device that I overpay for every month. I shouldn't have to buy another to use the radio in my car.

Thought it was free for the first 4 years? Did they change the policy recently? How much is it now?
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 09:04 PM   #513
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
It would have been free if we had ordered before July

You could set the car up to connect to a hotspot as an alternative. Does your phone have a built in hotspot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Thought it was free for the first 4 years? Did they change the policy recently? How much is it now?
That’s what Tesla said in Jan 2014. But they still haven’t started charging for data on the Model S...

At the end of June they said that Model 3 would have a paid plan after the first year. Estimate is $100 per year. Maybe it will happen. Maybe it won’t...
Old 08-23-2018, 09:16 PM   #514
rumatt
Mugwump

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
It would have been free if we had ordered before July
I know!
Quote:
You could set the car up to connect to a hotspot as an alternative. Does your phone have a built in hotspot?
OH, you can? Thats fine with me. I read that you cannot. Maybe I misunderstood what I was reading.
Old 08-23-2018, 09:24 PM   #515
ZBB
Relic

Quote:
I know!

OH, you can? Thats fine with me. I read that you cannot. Maybe I misunderstood what I was reading.
The Model 3 firmware may not have the WiFi connection enabled yet.

But it’s been on the Model S for over 4 years now. Tesla will continue to add or update features with updates. I’m still getting the occasional new feature on my S — easy entry mode (that moves the steering wheel and or seat when you put the car in park) was added earlier this year. Other things that came via updates were the lines on the rear view camera, different views of he map (originally was only North up, then they added direction up with the map rotating around you, and later they added trip modes to see the full trip and zoom in as you get closer to the destination, and the calendar app (syncing phone calendar events so they are visible in the car)

They’ve taken a similar approach with the Model 3. Musk tweeted this week that calendar sync is coming soon for example.,,
Old 08-24-2018, 06:46 AM   #516
JST

Yeah, the LTE thing is dumb and kind of annoying, though I guess in my case I should balance it against the fact that I haven't paid for data on the S for the past 4 years.

I'm not sure how the hotspot thing will work, or if it will. Yes, you can set the Model S up to connect via wifi, and it looks like the Model 3 does as well:

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/thre...onnect.121916/

Will the car still pull map data/slacker audio through wifi if you don't pay for the LTE connection? I don't know, but I don't think Tesla does either since AFAIK they haven't implemented this yet.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 07:51 AM   #517
rumatt
Mugwump

ZBB, people are digging the non-P awd version.

Dual motor non performance thoughts

(stupid forum doesn't seem to properly link to an individual post, but see poat #23
Old 08-24-2018, 09:22 AM   #518
JST

My delivery estimate just changed--went from "Oct to Dec" to "Estimated delivery by Oct.'18."
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 09:48 AM   #519
rumatt
Mugwump

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
My delivery estimate just changed--went from "Oct to Dec" to "Estimated delivery by Oct.'18."
Mine too

I'm trying to figure out if I have a vin. I have an Edit button, so it seems not.
Old 08-26-2018, 08:58 PM   #520
ZBB
Relic

Mine still shows Oct to Dec for the delivery window...VIN also doesn’t show (supposedly doesn’t flow up until final paperwork is provided a few days before delivery...). VIN was emailed to me.

So...I don’t have the car yet, nor do I have delivery scheduled. The delivery guy (in Las Vegas...) went AWOL last week. I had a voicemail from him on Tues saying Tesla won’t match the CarMax offer (annoying...). I emailed him back that afternoon saying that I would not trade the S, with a follow up the next day. Crickets.

So I stopped by the local Tesla store / service center yesterday and walk around. The car was not there yet.

Then a couple hours ago (Sunday evening...), I get a weirdly worded email from him that says “I reached you to my team to expedite the time to get your trade-in to a Final Offer – I am just waiting on that so we can get your paperwork finalized.”

So what part of that email was left out?