Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaz View Post
Fuckers.
jpgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 07:47 PM   #62
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
Well, I went and camped out at the dealership for 90 minutes waiting for the big bossman to show up, who didn't.

I left them with a message that this was going to be resolved today, or I would unleash a barrage of letters, emails and phone calls to Jim O'Donnell, Russ Lucas, and Larry Koch at BMWNA, and would embark on a scorched earth campaign against their reputation -- by telling the truth -- on every BMW and car enthusiast board on the internet, and a letter to the editor in Roundel. I also mentioned I'd attend the BMWCCA/BMWNA meeting next week and make it known what kind of treatment their dealership gives to loyal BMW enthusiast customers. If they didn't resolve it TODAY.

I said this calmly to the sales manager, but not particularly quietly, so it was definitely overheard by the sales staff. It was matter of fact, but determined.

They called me back a half an hour later and said that they tried to change the original allocation back to my order specs, but it was too late (not sure if that's bullshit or not).

So they took an allocation from one of their sister dealerships (some other poor soul getting screwed?) for a July build, and gave it to me. They gave me the new production number.

I suppose I have no reason to trust they won't pull this out from under me as well, but I'm hopeful it works out. If it does, I'll still never set foot in that store again after I take delivery, but I won't go all medieval via correspondence, either.

I fucking hate car stores.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:00 PM   #63
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Well done. All you can do is hope they honor this one.

Fuckers.
FC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 08:15 PM   #64
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: X5 M50 / M550
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuka View Post
Did you try a small dealership in the midwest and do a PCD delivery?

I have never ever had any issues with those little places pulling this kind of stunts. I would have ordered the M3 sedan from the Indiana dealer had Steve Thomas not been so good to work with.
Problem is that the allocations were skewed towards larger dealers. Small midwest dealers probably got 1 (or no) 1M for the entire production run, so there's a good chance anything they received is sold already.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:19 PM   #65
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAFIL View Post
Problem is that the allocations were skewed towards larger dealers. Small midwest dealers probably got 1 (or no) 1M for the entire production run, so there's a good chance anything they received is sold already.
Exactly. It was like a feeding frenzy for those allocations.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:19 PM   #66
Terri Kennedy
There and back again

Carmudgeonly Ride: 2003 BMW 325xiT; looking for a new fun car
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuka View Post
Did you try a small dealership in the midwest and do a PCD delivery?
Twin Cities in Savoy, IL would be good. I think I still have a sales contact there.

I've heard good things about Isringhausen in Springfield, IL but have no personal experience with them.

I've talked to Dreyer Reinbold in Indianapolis, IN some years ago. They were willing to do a good deal on a Z8 without a lot of haggling.
Terri Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 08:24 PM   #67
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: X5 M50 / M550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Kennedy View Post
Twin Cities in Savoy, IL would be good. I think I still have a sales contact there.

I've heard good things about Isringhausen in Springfield, IL but have no personal experience with them.

I've talked to Dreyer Reinbold in Indianapolis, IN some years ago. They were willing to do a good deal on a Z8 without a lot of haggling.
Once again, this is a very unique situation and you can forget about the small dealers for this car unless you contacted them last year. They have 1-2 allocations AT MOST for the entire year, and I'm certain that every single one of these dealers has found someone for these cars. At this point, the only shot anyone has at getting one is to go through one of the big guys. You can read thread after thread on various 1-series forums about guys that got on the list at smaller dealers last year and now have no chance of getting a car since there are not enough allocations to go around. The formula that BMW used to allocate this car benefited the large metro-area dealers.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:28 PM   #68
Terri Kennedy
There and back again

Carmudgeonly Ride: 2003 BMW 325xiT; looking for a new fun car
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAFIL View Post
Once again, this is a very unique situation and you can forget about the small dealers for this car unless you contacted them last year.
That's why I mentioned Dreyer Reinbold - they're in a big city and (back when I talked to them) had 2 Z8 allocations open at a time when most places had either pre-sold them or traded them to a bigger dealer.
Terri Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 08:39 PM   #69
armaq
Jaded

Carmudgeonly Ride: 1984 Schwinn Madison
Somebody scan 1er forums to find which poor soul is now getting his car in September...
armaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 08:49 PM   #70
jpgurl
Carmudgeon

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 MACH-E; '74 Austin Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by armaq View Post
Somebody scan 1er forums to find which poor soul is now getting his car in September...
jpgurl is offline   Reply With Quote