carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 06-15-2011, 02:29 AM   #51
Terri Kennedy
There and back again

Carmudgeonly Ride: 2003 BMW 325xiT; looking for a new fun car
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAFIL View Post
While BMWNA typically doesn't get involved in this stuff, I'd bet that a short-but-convincing letter to Jim O'Donnell (Prez of BMWNA) and Russ Lucas (VP of Eastern Region, basically responsible for all dealers in Northeast) explaining your dealer's shitty business practices would at least generate a "why the hell are you f*cking with this guy?" phone call to the Dealer Principal and show him that you're serious. Oh, and then send your story and letter off to Jalopnik too... and post it on bimmerpost, bimmerfest, etc.
Plaz, you're somewhere in the NYC vicinity these days, right? [I must be getting senile - I can't keep track of people's moves.]

June 24th is the NJBMWCCA annual get-together (link) at BMWNA HQ with most of the top BMWNA people. You could probably get a hold of a number of honchos there. Failing that, you could always ask "Why do you let dealers screw loyal customers?" in the open Q&A in the auditorium.

Years ago, I handed Tom Purves a letter I'd written as an open letter to BMW complaining about their poor build quality and the "let the customer find the problems" philosophy. It didn't have the desired effect, but they did make life at my dealer a living hell, until I gave the dealer a letter to forward to BMWNA saying it wasn't the dealer's fault, but the Regensburg factory's fault.
Terri Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 07:00 AM   #52
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
Thanks for the sympathy and suggestions.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:41 AM   #53
zach
swinging for the fences

Carmudgeonly Ride: 987, X7 M60i, e36 M3
Plaz,

That sucks. If they don't reverse this I think you should definitely take Fil's advice and get in touch with the bosses at BMWNA. BMW should be coddling the enthusiasts that buy the M cars, not alienating them.
zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 07:47 AM   #54
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by zcasavant View Post
Plaz,

That sucks. If they don't reverse this I think you should definitely take Fil's advice and get in touch with the bosses at BMWNA. BMW should be coddling the enthusiasts that buy the M cars, not alienating them.
Werd.

Best of luck man. Maybe it's the Latin in me, but I'd unleash my wrath upon them.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 08:15 AM   #55
JST

I would do whatever Sarafil says, for obvious reasons.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 09:03 AM   #56
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
I would do whatever Sarafil says, for obvious reasons.
Yeah, and I like that NJ CCA idea too.

Oh, and don't forget Consumerist.com for the public shaming.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 09:17 AM   #57
Pinecone
Carmudgeon

I don't know if BMW NA reads this forum, but I know they used to read BimmerFest.

My financial advisor bought a 1 year old, off lease 5 series after hearing how much we liked our BMW. Total lemon (surprise, 1 year off lease?????). The dealer just kept working on it.

I posted on BF about the issue, pointing out, that the LAST person you want to leave with a bad taste was a financial advisor. "Oh, so you are taking out moeny to buy A BMW, I had one once, and it was a total lemon, I now have a Mercedes/Audi/... and it is WONDERFUL."

Less than 10 days later, BMW NA got in touch with him and offered to buy back his lemon at full purchase price and to sell a brand new 5 series for the same price.
1995 Alpine E36 M3 LTW
1990 Red/White Spec Racer
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 11:16 AM   #58
Terri Kennedy
There and back again

Carmudgeonly Ride: 2003 BMW 325xiT; looking for a new fun car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
My financial advisor bought a 1 year old, off lease 5 series after hearing how much we liked our BMW. Total lemon (surprise, 1 year off lease?????). The dealer just kept working on it.

I posted on BF about the issue, pointing out, that the LAST person you want to leave with a bad taste was a financial advisor. "Oh, so you are taking out moeny to buy A BMW, I had one once, and it was a total lemon, I now have a Mercedes/Audi/... and it is WONDERFUL."
My lawyer had a Nikasil 5er back in the day, and he had to sue BMW to get them to take it back.
Terri Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 12:06 PM   #59
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
That is awful, but I disagree with the public shaming... Not really worth it and it will be google attached to your name forever. Perhaps worth it to mention as a last threat.

Your real card in the hand is BMWNA. If there is a paper/e-trail, you ordered in time, deposited etc, you are a CCA member etc... You just cannot be screwed like this.
Good point! plus doesn't the NJ Chapter visit to BMWNA happen around this time of year?? Check their website. At least the BMWNA doors are wide open this day. EDIT: DID NOT SEE TERRY'S POST FIRST

Why not start the mud slinging here?? what dealer is screwing you??
Old 06-15-2011, 05:20 PM   #60
ff

Sorry to hear this, Plaz. How frustrating, and disgusting. Unfortunately, businessmen are businessmen, and cannot be trusted.

Hopefully you can connect with the right people, here, and resolve the situation.
ff is offline   Reply With Quote