carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 11-05-2023, 05:46 PM   #21
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Especially since they aren’t going to be making any of those GTIs anymore.

I’d lean toward the “get it now” camp, too. I’m a little more bullish on EV sports cars than lemming, but there are going to be plenty of those in a few years. ICE is a vanishing breed.
I feel the same way.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2023, 06:58 PM   #22
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Seaside mcs + 540 = same money as m5.... Get your wife what she fell in love with and be happy with your gts
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2023, 07:17 PM   #23
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
Seaside mcs + 540 = same money as m5.... Get your wife what she fell in love with and be happy with your gts
I like your math.

lemming is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2023, 07:44 PM   #24
FC
Solving problems

It's not a money thing. If she really wants it, we get it. And yes, if it were a money thing, I would have no problem reducing my budget.
Old 11-06-2023, 08:27 AM   #25
dan
redefined

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post

So yeah, no need at all for a Mini unless there is a world where I am at work and both kids AND wife need to drive cars at the same time. This is very unlikely until maybe when oldest goes to college if he needs to take a car with him.
How old are the kids now? I would say 100% that as soon as the younger turns 16 then you (and them certainly) will want/need a dedicated car for each driver. Heck, I bought my son a car a few weeks before he even turned 16
Old 11-06-2023, 09:43 AM   #26
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan View Post
How old are the kids now? I would say 100% that as soon as the younger turns 16 then you (and them certainly) will want/need a dedicated car for each driver. Heck, I bought my son a car a few weeks before he even turned 16
Oldest is just over 16 and eligible for a license end of March (16.5). Youngest will be 14.5 on Jan 1. So in ~2 years they both will have a license. At that point they can use the GTI and LR4.

So yeah, an argument can be made that this type of purchase would happen in 2 years or less anyway.
Old 11-11-2023, 03:37 PM   #27
FC
Solving problems

My wife drove the MCS today. Not the exact car, but a different Special Edition similarly spec'ed. I did not drive it.

What I noticed was a sporty ride but still more comfortable than the R56 MCS with 16"s on. Car had Pirelli P-Zero's on 18" wheels. I was amazed with the level of comfort given how little rubber there was on the tire. The car still handled well even with three adults. It also moved quickly. I would say about the same as the R56 MCS and had good rigidity. Pretty impressive. The roof mechanism was pretty cool and used no latches.

Overall, it was a BIG step up in refinement, equipment, technology, and quality compared to our last mini. My wife loved it.

She is still torn about it, but what I told her was that while the number of cars may not justify it, the reality is that soon enough one or two boys will almost entirely claim use of the GTI, at which point, that leaves the LR4 to her. We all love the LR4 as a family vacation car, but it is old and the tech is ancient. And she doesn't like driving it to the city. She would much rather drive the Mini.

So what I told her was to look at things differently. The LR4 is the oldest car we have. Let's leave it for specific duties and as a back-up vehicle, and driver her car (Mini) everyday and leave the GTI for the kids.

She wants it but feels bad. I may have to overrule her on this and get it for her.

EDIT: I found later that the peak torque (209 lb-ft) arrives at 1250 rpm. That is basically off-idle. Impressive. Also, Mini Coopers are considered VERY reliable since 2014 (current 3rd gen).
Old 11-11-2023, 03:54 PM   #28
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Aren't the engines basically 1/2 of a b58? They should be really solid. Would it be a manual? I hope you get it. I've always loved the playful design elements, personality and overall feelof the Mini
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2023, 04:09 PM   #29
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
Aren't the engines basically 1/2 of a b58? They should be really solid. Would it be a manual? I hope you get it. I've always loved the playful design elements, personality and overall feel of the Mini
Well, the dealer only has one in the color she wants and it's a manual. I can't seem to find any others in that color anywhere.

So for now it's that one or we wait and likely look for a used automatic one with patience.

She likes the idea of automatic so that it is easier for others to drive, but as I told her, the kids will need to learn to drive stick if they want to drive the GTI. She agreed and acknowledged that the manual was more responsive/fun.

Like I said, we will probably get this one. Her only request is that we get white mirror covers. That's easy.
Old 11-11-2023, 04:18 PM   #30
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
Well, the dealer only has one in the color she wants and it's a manual. I can't seem to find any others in that color anywhere.

So for now it's that one or we wait and likely look for a used automatic one with patience.

She likes the idea of automatic so that it is easier for others to drive, but as I told her, the kids will need to learn to drive stick if they want to drive the GTI. She agreed and acknowledged that the manual was more responsive/fun.

Like I said, we will probably get this one. Her only request is that we get white mirror covers. That's easy.

Wow - very exciting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robg is offline   Reply With Quote