carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 02-02-2008, 06:43 AM   #81
IndyMike
Elected by grace

Carmudgeonly Ride: 11 1 M; 11 328iT; 22 M240ix
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
Is Kokomo close enough?
Unfortunately, no. Although the Kokomo Kolts (nee Colts) does have a nice ring to it.

But imho you have to be koo koo for Kokomo (and by obvious logical extension Coco Puffs) to stop there.

I think it was one of Dillinger's favorite stomping grounds, too.

Huh? Any connection there maybe? (note to self: must check with FBI brother of any banks held up in the State with particular emphasis on the acronym "WTF" coming from statements provided by witnesses).

Okay, it's all coming together now nicely. No wonder you were able to afford that 'new' 'vette.
IndyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 07:56 AM   #82
IndyMike
Elected by grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwg View Post
My brother lives outside Indy (in fairland or something like that). While he and my sister in law insisted on paying for everything while I was there, we left PLENTY of tax dollars in Indy.
Fairland is just down the 'deserted, in the middle of nowhere with no intersections' road from me. While we truly love big shots from Calyfornee dropping their coins in our economy, on occasion we Hoosier's can be hospitible. So next time you're in the area let me know and the 'sliders' at White Castle will be on me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwg View Post
I grew up in Illinois. I think I got one ticket for speeding there - and not for lack of speeding. I think you just have to sort of know the traffic patterns and get lucky sometimes, but . . . I never thought Illinois was bad. Now Michigan, there's a state that you don't drive in without a radar detector.
Then you must be one of the luckiest men in America.

I admit my opinion of Illinois may be jaundiced, because it's the only one in the Onion (sic) of 50 States that I was ever handed a speeding ticket. And I had to hand over the fine ($75) in cold hard cash, right on the spot. I thought that only happened in Europe (at least so I've been told ) . I'm sure it made its way into the Counties deposit account for such infractions.

Fortunately I was in a rental car and hence it never made it into my official transcripts, at least as far as my insurance co. is concerned.

But I regress! Illinois and Ohio are the only two States I know where the State constabulary wait for you right at the State border crossing to give you the Governor of the State's 'official' greeting.

Oh, and sorry 'Nando, but this thread may now be officially declared

Old 02-02-2008, 08:48 AM   #83
RMR
Crotchety

Carmudgeonly Ride: 2020 Honda Civic Hatch Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMike View Post
Fairland is just down the 'deserted, in the middle of nowhere with no intersections' road from me. While we truly love big shots from Calyfornee dropping their coins in our economy, on occasion we Hoosier's can be hospitible. So next time you're in the area let me know and the 'sliders' at White Castle will be on me.

Then you must be one of the luckiest men in America.

I admit my opinion of Illinois may be jaundiced, because it's the only one in the Onion (sic) of 50 States that I was ever handed a speeding ticket. And I had to hand over the fine ($75) in cold hard cash, right on the spot. I thought that only happened in Europe (at least so I've been told ) . I'm sure it made its way into the Counties deposit account for such infractions.

Fortunately I was in a rental car and hence it never made it into my official transcripts, at least as far as my insurance co. is concerned.

But I regress! Illinois and Ohio are the only two States I know where the State constabulary wait for you right at the State border crossing to give you the Governor of the State's 'official' greeting.

Oh, and sorry 'Nando, but this thread may now be officially declared

I agree with the Ohio cop statement. I went to college in Southwestern Ohio and have driven the I-65 south to Indy to I-70 West route to Ohio many many times. Crossing into Ohio after Richmond, IN and all the Ohio troopers would be lined up waiting for the kill.

As for the IL side, coming into chicago from NW IN via 90 (Skyway) or 94 you rarely see cops. and I drive this route almost once or twice a week for work reasons. It's too damn congested 90% of the time.

IL gives you 3 options for a ticket. Pay $75 onsite to trooper, post a bond card pay at later date, post your driver's license and pay at later date.

RMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 09:21 AM   #84
IndyMike
Elected by grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMR View Post
I agree with the Ohio cop statement. I went to college in Southwestern Ohio and have driven the I-65 south to Indy to I-70 West route to Ohio many many times. Crossing into Ohio after Richmond, IN and all the Ohio troopers would be lined up waiting for the kill.

As for the IL side, coming into chicago from NW IN via 90 (Skyway) or 94 you rarely see cops. and I drive this route almost once or twice a week for work reasons. It's too damn congested 90% of the time.

IL gives you 3 options for a ticket. Pay $75 onsite to trooper, post a bond card pay at later date, post your driver's license and pay at later date.
I was bagged on I-57 North as I was coming up from Memphis back from a business trip to Indy. You go from I-55 where everyone is flying and the limit is 70mph, to I-57 and the crossover into Illinois where the limit dips to 65mph. If you're not careful (and admittedly I wasn't paying attention as I was yacking with my colleague) you can easily miss the posted speed limit signs.

Pretty neat little operation they have going there because they post one of their finest with a radar gun hidden from view in the median of an overpass abutment, and they call it in to someone who is around the bend about 1/2 mile down the road, again hidden from the driver's view. At that point they have about 3 officials who just point at you as you go by if you're an unlucky victim. Quite the revenue 'drive'. At least one other colleague of mine was also a 'victim' there as well.

At the time I didn't know you could play 'Let's make a deal'. Good to know for future reference.
Old 02-02-2008, 09:46 AM   #85
BahnBaum
Tilting Rocinante

Quote:
At that point they have about 3 officials who just point at you as you go by if you're an unlucky victim.

Maryland stopped that practice after a state trooper was run over during one of those operations.

Alex
Old 02-02-2008, 10:02 AM   #86
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Illinois and Ohio are the only two States I know where the State constabulary wait for you right at the State border crossing to give you the Governor of the State's 'official' greeting.
Add New Jersey to that list.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 01:49 PM   #87
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Add New Jersey to that list.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 01:52 PM   #88
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Um, is it ok if I bring my waffiing back on topic?

Anyhow...

I annoyed the wife enough this morning, but at least some parameters have been set:

-I have an approved budget of ~$50K (excluding the V70R, which as before, stays).

-This car purchase will have to follow THE PLAN and will have to take place a year from now (ok, maybe late '08). She refuses to greenlight a crazy car purchase while she "has to deal with our current kitchen." So until the remodeling at least kicks off, I cannot even suggest any "opportunities" I may come accross. I can, of course, research and test-drive in preparation, but no actual buying. Fair enough.

-If the plan includes us somehow getting a Mini, she'll let me do whatever I want with the rest of the money (I'm sure that excludes motorcycles, or 5 cheap cars, but she'd allow an Elise, previously a non-starter). I may possibly bump my budget a bit ($5K?), since the Mini* would invariably replace the cheaper ZHP.

*She actually wants a last gen MCS, only because she is obsessed with Electric Blue paint, which is no longer available. I'm not letting her buy an inferior used MCS simply because of a color, especially when I'd be driving it most often.

-She favors the Boxster, and in case she winds up NOT liking the Mini (she's never driven one - nor have I), she would really want the Boxster as our shared fun car (again, perhaps pushing budget a bit if needed).

-Of course, she favors the cheaper solution, like ditching the ZHP, buying a Mini, and buying used Miata (shocker!).

-She would not be opposed to a 4th car as long as it is very cheap (<$5K) and very useful, like a large SUV so I don't have to constantly borrow my dad's pick-up.

Overall, I'm not against the Mini suggestion. Yes, it is a coupe. But I would still have access to the V70R whenever I want. The Mini would also make for an awesome city car/commuter when needed. It would free up a bunch of garage space too. And it would be new.

In the short term I need to test drive:

-S2000
-986S (preferably with 030 suspension)
-New MCS
-Elise (w/ and w/o LSS)
-996 C2 (just to get it out of my system - never driven a 911)
-Ditto a (4-door) Wrangler Unlimited.
-And as a refresher, base 987 and 987S.

Last edited by FC; 02-02-2008 at 02:20 PM.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 03:30 PM   #89
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
You're welcome to come drive mine anytime.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 04:06 PM   #90
3LOU5
Slacker Extraordinaire

Quote:
My cat's breath smells like cat food.

2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
2018 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited - hers
2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers (SOLD 02/29/20)
2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
2007 Reinell 186 FNS - the dog's
1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S !
3LOU5 is offline   Reply With Quote