carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 07-23-2021, 04:12 PM   #111
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Empty Nester with kids in College ... boy are you both in for a surprise, these kids never move out
Ruh-roh! (Well, fearing that scenario, I bought a house with a former apartment in the basement. I would just have to add back a refrigerator and an apartment-size range. It has its own entrance, a bedroom, full bath, and decent living room with gas fireplace--tall ceilings, too.)
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 04:14 PM   #112
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post
Yes, the X5 is larger than needed, but I think it would be difficult to downgrade to the X3 after owning an X5 as well as having had seven (total) of every generation within our family. Do not get me wrong, I love the X3 as I have had two as Enterprise rentals and at length. Also was t-boned in one last fall in Bluffton, SC (mainland to Hilton Head). The materials are obvisiously a step or two behind a X5 whereas the X5 is on par with a X7 (also have one within our family).

I have a local friend that has been a home appraiser for over 20 years in Knoxville. The majority of the houses coming across his desk are selling anywhere from $20,000 (min) to a $100,000 (max) over MLS listing. Obviously they are not meeting appraisal therefore the buyer automatically has negative equity. Per the Wall Street Journal a month ago Knoxville is number one in the country at 122.1%. We have a ton of people moving here from all over the country. Nashville was crazy prior to all of this, people are sick of it and looking at other Tennessee cites. No state income tax, some what normal climate (four seasons), and real estate cheaper than were they are coming from is a huge influence. Edit: Politics allegedly plays a part as well as Tennessee is generally a red state. West Tennessee tends to be blue, Middle Tennessee is mixed, and East Tennessee is red.
The X5 is much higher quality, I agree. The ex and I had two of them (plus a 5 wagon).

Knoxville has come a long way. (My parents met at UT and I went to the World's Fair there many years ago.) And the area around it is beautiful.
Old 07-23-2021, 04:34 PM   #113
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Empty Nester with kids in College ... boy are you both in for a surprise, these kids never move out
Mine is off the tit. Is a self-sufficient college student whom makes the Dean’s list every semester. Has no clue what he is going to do once he graduates though. He would never move in with me as we cannot get along at his age. My father and I went through the same thing until I got in my early 30s. I was a know it all asshole too. I still am to a certain degree.
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 04:35 PM   #114
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
The X5 is much higher quality, I agree. The ex and I had two of them (plus a 5 wagon).
Knoxville has come a long way. (My parents met at UT and I went to the World's Fair there many years ago.) And the area around it is beautiful.
Generally the X5 is more aesthetically pleasing. The current X3 (pre-LCI) does not look awful with the M Sport Pkg or the X3 M.

I remember you mentioning that. Meh… I want out (Knoxville)! I am only here until my parents have passed and then I am gone…
Old 07-23-2021, 04:37 PM   #115
Theo
Crazy Old Man

Carmudgeonly Ride: M2C Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
SCA: What about this (I'm sure you must already be looking at these ads...)

https://www.bmwcca.org/ads/260631

Edit: Or this (overpriced, possibly). I always had a fondness for Evergreen:
https://www.bmwcca.org/ads/260396

This is a sweet budget choice: https://www.bmwcca.org/ads/260586
Those evergreen M roadsters are pretty rare. Not a color I would buy but still.
Old 07-23-2021, 04:42 PM   #116
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:
Generally the X5 is more aesthetically pleasing. The current X3 (pre-LCI) does not look awful with the M Sport Pkg or the X3 M.

I remember you mentioning that. Meh… I want out (Knoxville)! I am only here until my parents have passed and then I am gone…
Bluffton/Hilton Head area is very nice. Beaufort, too.
Old 07-23-2021, 05:43 PM   #117
dan
redefined

Quote:
At least not with all the amenities you provide
Old 07-23-2021, 06:23 PM   #118
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
Those evergreen M roadsters are pretty rare. Not a color I would buy but still.
I love Evergreen! I was not a fan in my youth. Strangely enough there are currently more for sale than one would think.
Old 07-23-2021, 07:16 PM   #119
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:
I love Evergreen! I was not a fan in my youth. Strangely enough there are currently more for sale than one would think.
The color was discounted after the LCI, yes? We wanted to by our Z3 in the color, but settled for Topaz. Not so bad either! (I know your Z3 is Topaz…Estoril is pretty close to Topaz, actually.)
Old 07-23-2021, 10:30 PM   #120
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
If I was your kid, I'd probably never move out, either.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote