carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 03-07-2017, 11:59 AM   #11
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
The 20" wheels look gorgeous, are not heavy and ride just fine. That said, I cringe on road cracks/potholes in fear. I probably wouldn't order, but I'm not sure you can find them without. The 19" cars with nice options are likely special order and not lease return.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 12:04 PM   #12
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Thanks so much, Equ. Great list, and pretty in line with my thinking (I might add heated steering wheel, although that seems a very rare spec).

Oddly, I've found a couple of cars with PV and Sport Chrono, but not PASM. Sort of unusual I'd imagine.

At any rate, plenty of time to sit back and look around.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 12:04 PM   #13
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
The 20" wheels look gorgeous, are not heavy and ride just fine. That said, I cringe on road cracks/potholes in fear. I probably wouldn't order, but I'm not sure you can find them without. The 19" cars with nice options are likely special order and not lease return.
Yes, very hard to find a nicely optioned car without the 20s. And I guess if you have PASM, they are OK. They do look great.

BTW, if anyone is looking right now, this one seemed like a very nice spec. Just missing PTV...https://leith.porschedealer.com/inve...etallic+983327
Old 03-07-2017, 12:11 PM   #14
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
I'm hoping Matt will post his impressions of driving our car. I get the impression he enjoyed it.

Initially I was concerned that I would really miss heated seats, but I haven't. I'd like to update the tune to add the sport chrono programming, but the cost is just prohibitive.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 12:44 PM   #15
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
I'm hoping Matt will post his impressions of driving our car. I get the impression he enjoyed it.

Initially I was concerned that I would really miss heated seats, but I haven't. I'd like to update the tune to add the sport chrono programming, but the cost is just prohibitive.
Yes. It would be fun to hear what he has to say. I don't think I could give up heated seats. I'd probably sacrifice preferred color over that option.
Old 03-07-2017, 01:11 PM   #16
equ
Alphanumeric

Quote:

To me, the S/C is not such a big deal in terms of throttle as I don't find 'normal' porsche throttle to be lazy a la modern bmw. The good part is the looser PSM setting if higher slip angles are your kinda thing.

Heated seats are not the hugest deal, I really use it for an achy back. The heater/engine is very warm in the mid-engined porsches.
Old 03-07-2017, 02:10 PM   #17
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
To me, the S/C is not such a big deal in terms of throttle as I don't find 'normal' porsche throttle to be lazy a la modern bmw. The good part is the looser PSM setting if higher slip angles are your kinda thing.

Heated seats are not the hugest deal, I really use it for an achy back. The heater/engine is very warm in the mid-engined porsches.
The first thing I do in the morning is turn off the traction control. I don't want more aggressive throttle response either, but I would like a little more leeway on the PSM. Supposedly Sport Chrono improves the settings of the brake-based-"LSD."

I feel like we'll have this car for a long time, so I'm leaning towards just putting an aftermarket LSD in it at some point.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 02:48 PM   #18
wdc330i
dogged

Here's the local (to me) one with PTV and no PASM: http://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-m...tlanta-ga.html
Old 03-07-2017, 02:54 PM   #19
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Quote:

I liked it a lot. On the way home I decided I'm now also considering a 987.2 Boxster

As I've mentioned in the past, I'm bad at test drives. My brain is overwhelmed by everything being so different. It takes a while for me to process whether the new stuff is good or bad.

For the first part of the drive what stood out most was, "Wow there's not a lot of room in here. For my legs... or behind me... or around me." And the clutch felt like it was a little too far to the right for some reason.

Then for the next part I was thinking, damn this car turns nicely. And the steering is fantastic. And it has more oomph than I expected given that people claim they're torqueless (the secret to life is low expectations?). And even at low speeds it's still really, really fun.

Then I realized... other than the engine noise (which included the higher pitch noise which I guess is the intake?) it was quieter than expected for a convertible. There were a few rattles but it didn't have that "is there a window open?" feel like when I've driven miatas.

I started googling Cayman vs Boxster noise levels and found almost unanimous agreement that the Cayman is actually louder, particular with rear wheel road noise. The Boxster separates the rear wheels and engine more from the driver, but introduces more wind noise at higher speeds.

Equ, I'd be curious to hear your experience with noise levels across all the Cayman/Boxsters you've had. And I'd definitely like to take you up on your offer to drive yours one day.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 04:58 PM   #20
equ
Alphanumeric

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post

I started googling Cayman vs Boxster noise levels and found almost unanimous agreement that the Cayman is actually louder, particular with rear wheel road noise. The Boxster separates the rear wheels and engine more from the driver, but introduces more wind noise at higher speeds.

Equ, I'd be curious to hear your experience with noise levels across all the Cayman/Boxsters you've had. And I'd definitely like to take you up on your offer to drive yours one day.
I agree on that noise level comment. I found the caymans to have more "engine in the cabin". The boxster makes little squeaks between windows and roof over expansion joints, but the roof is perfectly fine and quiet enough on the highway. I drove the car to DC once for a quick work trip and to Maine. It is much quieter than my Dinan e46 m3.

I really looked for a 987.2S cayman (like the red one I had but not red) but could not find one. Note that the 981S does not take a roof rack (boxster or cayman) but the older cayman does.