carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 08-25-2006, 12:24 PM   #1
IndyMike
Elected by grace

Carmudgeonly Ride: 11 1 M; 11 328iT; 22 M240ix
New 3er vert

Not terrible, but IMO nowhere near as gorgeous or sexy looking as the pre-facelift E46 cabrio (yeah, I may be a bit biased in that regards).

Man those rims really reek.

The lid has well and truly been lifted on BMW's new drop-top! Thanks to these spyshots, Auto Express can show you how the new 3-Series Convertible will look - and as you can see, it features a folding metal roof for the first time.

Only the Volvo C70 boasts a similar retractable set-up in the premium cabrio class. That means the new 3-Series Convertible will steal a march on its main rivals - Audi's fabric-topped A4 Cabriolet and the Mercedes CLK - to remain the best-seller in the category.

These pictures were snapped during the final development phase, prior to the Convertible's official unveiling early next year. They show how the styling draws heavily on that of the Coupé model, with short front overhangs, a bold swage line running along the doors and a stretched, rakish tail.

With the compact three-piece metal roof in place, the Convertible has the same profile as the two-door Coupé. And compared to folding metal roof rivals, the rear deck is short and compact, so the 3-Series is just as sporty-looking with the top stowed.

The transition from open to closed position should be one of the quickest in the class, too, with the electric operation controlled via a button mounted next to the gearlever.

Final production versions of the newcomer will be fitted with body-coloured roofs. Behind the disguise in our pictures lie the same light units as on the Coupé, with distinctive headlamps up front and LED tail-lights.

The BMW's combination of a complex compact folding roof with one of the longest wheelbases in the sector will mean class-leading practicality. So there should be space for two tall adults in the rear and enough room in the boot for several pieces of luggage.

Extra chassis strengthening has made the model heavier than before. However, BMW's decision to employ a folding metal roof means considerable improvements have been made in structural stiffness - so crash protection, security, and refinement is better than on the previous-generation car.

The newcomer will be available with the same line-up of powerful six-cylinder engines as the Coupé. From launch, there will be a 218bhp 2.5-litre unit for the 325i and BMW's latest twin-turbocharged, direct-injection 3.0-litre petrol motor under the bonnet of the 335i. Producing 306bhp and 400Nm of torque, the turbo unit will propel the new drop-top from 0-60mph in around six seconds on the way to a limited top speed of 155mph.

As with its 2.5-litre brother, the 3.0-litre Convertible will be available with a choice of six-speed manual or automatic gearboxes. Diesel engines and low-power petrol units are set to join the line-up later in 2008.

As for the rest of the driving experience, buyers can expect it to be very similar to the Coupé's, with BMW's trademark crisp handling, compliant ride and high-speed body control. The firm's Active Steering system, which features a variable-speed rack, will be available as an option.

Inside, the cabin gets low-slung seats and a raft of clever features, including seatbelts which slide forward to the driver and passenger as soon as the doors are pulled shut. Other comfort features such as climate control and automatic headlights are likely to be offered as standard. The new 3-Series Convertible is expected to make its world debut at the Los Angeles Motor Show in December, and is set to arrive at UK dealers in time for next summer. Prices are tipped to start from around £27,000.
IndyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 12:39 PM   #2
ff

ooof, those are some ugly lines on the rear of the car.
ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 12:55 PM   #3
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Carmudgeonly Ride: 06 330 cic ZHP
It's a trend, consumers (especially women) want retractable hardtops

At least Volvo found a way to make theirs attractive.

Ed
Sharp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 12:56 PM   #4
operknockity
Finn is in puppy heaven

Carmudgeonly Ride: '02 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ff View Post
ooof, those are some ugly lines on the rear of the car.
And the front. And the sides.
operknockity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 01:26 PM   #5
iateyourcheese
Nerd

Carmudgeonly Ride: '87 M3, Subie FXT, Mazda CX-9
Cars rarely look their best in spy photos. I hope to God this is the case.
iateyourcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 02:13 PM   #6
Rob
The user formerly known as rwg

Carmudgeonly Ride: Z4
If I were to consider a convertible, I would only consider a retractable hard top. I just don't like the wind noise of cloth tops and - face it - the top will be up more than it's down.

I don't think that car happens to look any worse than the other convertibles that are available. Maybe a little, but they started with ugly - it's not like making it a convertible was going to improve the appearance.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 02:53 PM   #7
IndyMike
Elected by grace

Carmudgeonly Ride: 11 1 M; 11 328iT; 22 M240ix
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwg View Post
but they started with ugly - it's not like making it a convertible was going to improve the appearance.

Let's face it.........it's a mediocre design. That's as good as you're going to get from Bayerische Motor Werken these days. Might as well get used to it.

To put it in Biblical proportions; we've had 7 years of plenty (E46), so now we've got to endure 7 years of famine (E90).

IndyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 03:13 PM   #8
lupinsea
Jeeped

Carmudgeonly Ride: Modified Jeep Tj and '07 Miata
Man, this frigg'n sucks. I finally get into a BMW, a nice 3 series, find it to be a great little sedan and then, in 5-8 years when I'd be in a position to possibly steup up again BMW is (suddenly) making ugly cars! And the weights are creeping up, apparently the steering feel is getting number. Not sure I like the direction things are going. And considering how quickly other car makers are catching up (though not there yet). Coudl it be my ZHP will be our one and only BMW?
lupinsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 03:20 PM   #9
Rob
The user formerly known as rwg

Carmudgeonly Ride: Z4
If you has asked me in the days of 330 ownership if I would ever be BMWless, I would have laughed at you. I loved that car. If you had asked in the days of M3 ownership, I would have laughed harder as I thought it was a net improvement over the 330. Yet . . . I am BMWless now and I don't have any interest in changing my current car. You may have your only one . . . or you may decide you really like the Z4 or it's successor in a few years. Who knows?
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 04:44 PM   #10
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by lupinsea View Post
Man, this frigg'n sucks. I finally get into a BMW, a nice 3 series, find it to be a great little sedan and then, in 5-8 years when I'd be in a position to possibly steup up again BMW is (suddenly) making ugly cars! And the weights are creeping up, apparently the steering feel is getting number. Not sure I like the direction things are going. And considering how quickly other car makers are catching up (though not there yet). Coudl it be my ZHP will be our one and only BMW?

Nah... you can regress as an alternative like a few of us here have done...

My first BMW was an '01 E46 325Ci... I now drive an '03 E39 530i...