carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 03-17-2008, 12:53 PM   #1
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Carmudgeonly Ride: 06 330 cic ZHP
Man, that 1 vert is hot!!

I was just looking at some more pics - I love the roofline of the soft-top and that denim finish is hot!!

If it's a bit lighter and stiffer than an e46 vert, a 128 vert with the six speed and SP for just under 40 is a decent deal.....

Damn, a test drive may be in the works.

Ed
Sharp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 08:33 PM   #2
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp11 View Post
I was just looking at some more pics - I love the roofline of the soft-top and that denim finish is hot!!

If it's a bit lighter and stiffer than an e46 vert, a 128 vert with the six speed and SP for just under 40 is a decent deal.....

Ed
I had my e46 in for service today and low and behold, there was a 128 convertible on the lot. We are in the market for a replacement for my car--at some point--and are all over the map about what next. So the SA let me drive it. It was slushie with sport. But it was good fun. Somewhere in handling between our old Z3 and my e46. I also drove an e92--before the 1--and it is so composed as to be a little boring. The 1 was refreshing after that ride. And stick form would be even better.

All that said, I don't know if I'd want to live with one (1?) as a daily driver. But I could see it if I were younger and had no kids. The cockpit feels very 3 series-like. The back seat is actually doable for adults for short rides--decent leg room, but shoulder room is awkward because of the rake of the side panels. And access is tough.

I imagine the 135i iteration is even more fun. And no doubt the coupe form is the best for performance. But I do think the whole series is somewhat goofy looking

I also drove an e60 530i sport this weekend. It's a dealer demo. Very roomy and comfortable like our 530xiT wagon. Much more fun to drive, but less fun still than my 330i.

The last test drive was an X5 with sport. Amazing handling for a truck--completely flat in the curves. No tipsy, uncertain feeling at all. The 3.0 engine is haltingly slow offline but okay once she gets moving. The TT will transform this vehicle when it arrives--either in diesel or gas form. But it's still a truck, no matter how refined.

There was also an M3 sedan on the floor. Very sharp looking. Needless to say, I was not offered a test of that one.

Anyway, right now I'm leaning toward some sort of e90. Maybe a 328 sedan or wagon, if we want to buy it and keep it longterm. I'm still a little suspicious of the biturbo for off-warranty ownership.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 09:27 PM   #3
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
1er coupe FTW (and I haven't even driven one). One day I may own one.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 09:42 PM   #4
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
If it's a bit lighter and stiffer than an e46 vert, a 128 vert with the six speed and SP for just under 30 would be a decent deal.....
fixed that for you

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 09:46 PM   #5
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
I had my e46 in for service today and low and behold, there was a 128 convertible on the lot. We are in the market for a replacement for my car--at some point--and are all over the map about what next. So the SA let me drive it. It was slushie with sport. But it was good fun. Somewhere in handling between our old Z3 and my e46. I also drove an e92--before the 1--and it is so composed as to be a little boring. The 1 was refreshing after that ride. And stick form would be even better.

All that said, I don't know if I'd want to live with one (1?) as a daily driver. But I could see it if I were younger and had no kids. The cockpit feels very 3 series-like. The back seat is actually doable for adults for short rides--decent leg room, but shoulder room is awkward because of the rake of the side panels. And access is tough.

I imagine the 135i iteration is even more fun. And no doubt the coupe form is the best for performance. But I do think the whole series is somewhat goofy looking

I also drove an e60 530i sport this weekend. It's a dealer demo. Very roomy and comfortable like our 530xiT wagon. Much more fun to drive, but less fun still than my 330i.

The last test drive was an X5 with sport. Amazing handling for a truck--completely flat in the curves. No tipsy, uncertain feeling at all. The 3.0 engine is haltingly slow offline but okay once she gets moving. The TT will transform this vehicle when it arrives--either in diesel or gas form. But it's still a truck, no matter how refined.

There was also an M3 sedan on the floor. Very sharp looking. Needless to say, I was not offered a test of that one.

Anyway, right now I'm leaning toward some sort of e90. Maybe a 328 sedan or wagon, if we want to buy it and keep it longterm. I'm still a little suspicious of the biturbo for off-warranty ownership.
Excellent write-up, thanks.

I'm scheduled to go to the 1 series ride and drive in Hartford on the 30th - I'll get to drive the new 1 (or, instead of rising early and driving 90 minutes, I can go to the dealer 20 minutes away anytime I'd like).

Ed
Old 03-18-2008, 07:45 AM   #6
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:
Excellent write-up, thanks.

I'm scheduled to go to the 1 series ride and drive in Hartford on the 30th - I'll get to drive the new 1 (or, instead of rising early and driving 90 minutes, I can go to the dealer 20 minutes away anytime I'd like).

Ed
You should definitely drive it. But don't you have the perfect convertible as it is? In my many possibilities, I considered a CPO 2006 imola zhp convertible near DC. Just can't do another e46, even though I love mine. I've had three of them already.
Old 03-18-2008, 11:02 AM   #7
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Quote:
You should definitely drive it. But don't you have the perfect convertible as it is? In my many possibilities, I considered a CPO 2006 imola zhp convertible near DC. Just can't do another e46, even though I love mine. I've had three of them already.
Yes, I'm just imagining ......

You know how it is, new model, new bits underneath (I'm on my 3rd E46 chassis), different interior....

However, I had my car out late last night and thoroughly enjoyed snaking up through the hills - everything in sync and sounding wonderful!!

Ed
Old 03-18-2008, 09:07 PM   #8
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:
Yes, I'm just imagining ......

You know how it is, new model, new bits underneath (I'm on my 3rd E46 chassis), different interior....

However, I had my car out late last night and thoroughly enjoyed snaking up through the hills - everything in sync and sounding wonderful!!

Ed
Ed, one thing I noticed--and I'd like you to confirm when you test drive the 1 convertible: the seat belt in the 128 caught the crosswinds and got grabby at times when the top was down. Admittedly, I was driving it top-down under extreme conditions--42 degrees and blustery in March, but it was annoying. I don't remember this from our Z3. Does this happen in your ZHP?
Old 03-18-2008, 09:31 PM   #9
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Quote:
Ed, one thing I noticed--and I'd like you to confirm when you test drive the 1 convertible: the seat belt in the 128 caught the crosswinds and got grabby at times when the top was down. Admittedly, I was driving it top-down under extreme conditions--42 degrees and blustery in March, but it was annoying. I don't remember this from our Z3. Does this happen in your ZHP?
I don't think it gets grabby, but one thing it does do, presumably because of the design of incorporating it into the seat, is it gets twisted in the buckle (where it passes through the loop) - I have to be very careful to not let this happen as untwisting it is a major pain in the ass.

Ed
Old 03-18-2008, 09:54 PM   #10
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:

Ed
I couldn't disagree more. I think it's even more awkward looking than the regular 1er. The trunkline is horribly integrated. The taillights look like an afterthought. The rocker-panel cutline is miserable. The headlights are too big - it makes the car look bugeyed. The car already looks topheavy - too much fender, which a weird 2002-esque crease near the cowl. The back end is pinched... ugh. I just think the 1er is a hideous car. Oh well. No accounting for taste and all that.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote