carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 04-05-2013, 09:04 PM   #81
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD View Post
Did it bother you when the E90 325i and 330i were out, both with 3.0L NA engines with the only difference being the engine programming capping the power on the 325i? Then the 328i that came later that was also an NA 3.0L with a third programmed level of output?
I was never sure if that was entirely true, but the possibility it could have been was a huge strike against giving the E90 serious consideration. However, engine output wasn't the only difference between the different versions, right? Suspension, trim and other stuff?

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:54 PM   #82
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Quote:
Did it bother you when the E90 325i and 330i were out, both with 3.0L NA engines with the only difference being the engine programming capping the power on the 325i? Then the 328i that came later that was also an NA 3.0L with a third programmed level of output?
The only e90 I even payed the slightest attention to was the m3, so I really don't know anything about that, but yeah it sounds ridiculous. What does it cost them to flip the switch? Nothing.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:18 PM   #83
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
There are hardware differences between the n52 variants that are all 3.0L's. So you can't just do it by flipping a switch. OTOH, what do those H/W differences cost BMW? Once designed, probably nothing.

But very poor form from bmw. I was rather pissed that the 330i NA engine went the way of the dodo... I mean if you can make that engine in 2005, why are you still making the (slightly) inferior same displacement engine in 2012? Fail.

I know next to nothing about Tesla's other than that they're currently white hot. However, I'd be very surprised if there aren't battery hardware or cooling differences between the various versions.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:34 PM   #84
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
I know next to nothing about Tesla's other than that they're currently white hot. However, I'd be very surprised if there aren't battery hardware or cooling differences between the various versions.
They are referring to Tesla's announcement this week that the 40kWh size battery was cancelled. They previously had 3 sizes of battery -- 40, 60 and 85 kWh, that all had the same set of options -- so were basically the same car except for the battery.

But they never put the 40 into production, and when they announced they were canceling it, they instead stated they will deliver 60 kWh cars to the 4% of buyers that had a 40 on order -- but that 60 kWh car will have a software limit on the battery to 40 kWh. The buyer could later pay to activate the full 60 capacity. But that is only avail to the 4% -- no future cars can be configured that way.

Last edited by ZBB; 04-05-2013 at 10:47 PM.
ZBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:40 PM   #85
ZBB
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post

Also, as you say, it's probably just a few hundred cars, so why doesn't Tesla give the, complimentary upgrades? If they did, we're not having this conversation. It's not like it would cost them anything. It's the same part. The knob is just turned this way or that that.
Because the would piss off those that paid for a 60

I think they came up with a pretty good solution -- they keep those that had ordered a 40 happy since they are not "forcing" to pay the $10k extra. They no longer offer a model that wasn't selling well. They don't have to produce just a few hundred of the 40s to support/service over a lifetime, etc. Plus these cars have a future bonus of being able to add capacity later without changing any hardware.

As for seeing this as having a 10 gallon tank with an air bladder allowing you to only put in 7 gallons -- you know that 7 gallons is "full" and you know the range limitations of just having 7 gallons. You didn't pay for the extra 3 gallon capacity, so why are you frustrated that you can't take the air bladder out?
Old 04-05-2013, 10:45 PM   #86
ZBB
Relic

Quote:
There are plenty of other examples of software-enabled upgrades. Office copiers for example commonly have speed limitations where paying for the faster version is just a software change.

From a manufacturing cost vs pricing, its very interesting to me. If the incremental cost to build all hardware to the higher spec is low enough, but the value to the customer is high enough, you might as well do this. Then the higher priced item just has a higher profit margin (since the difference to the higher price is all profit).
Old 04-05-2013, 11:30 PM   #87
ZBB
Relic

Well... I finalized my order tonight. I have 2 weeks to make configuration changes. Delivery should be ~3 months...
Old 04-06-2013, 02:42 PM   #88
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
Well... I finalized my order tonight. I have 2 weeks to make configuration changes. Delivery should be ~3 months...
Cool!

All I'm saying about the other stuff is it would have pissed the hell out of me if I were a customer and they turned me off to their brand in a pretty major way. Obviously, there are other views and I have no problem with that and wouldn't want to rain on anyone's parade in buying one. It's still a kick ass car and I'd love to have one (and be an early adopter). I just wouldn't be able to bring myself to give them any money...but that's just how I see the world.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:18 PM   #89
ZBB
Relic

I got the "48 hour warning" email today... I have 2 more days to make any other configuration changes or to ask Tesla for more time. After that, the order goes into production scheduling, and delivery should be in 2-3 months...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Production Ready.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	8478  
Old 04-23-2013, 08:43 AM   #90
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
I got the "48 hour warning" email today... I have 2 more days to make any other configuration changes or to ask Tesla for more time. After that, the order goes into production scheduling, and delivery should be in 2-3 months...
So..are you proceeding with the order as is?
robg is offline   Reply With Quote