I totally get the appeal of this.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 08:44 AM   #42
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Congrats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post

The interior is pretty econobox, but so far it isn't bothering me. I was tempted to get the GMC instead but it didn't have the same incentives so was 3k more expensive. And somehow it just felt like putting lipstick on a pig. If I'm getting a chevy, I'll just take the chevy.

The seats are pretty mediocre and a complaint of a lot of owners. I got the leather seats because they have less of a bulge around the edge of the seat bottom that makes people's legs fall asleep (including mine). That and the base seats look like garbage. The leather seats are flat and firm but they actually work reasonably well for me. Except the complete lack of side bolstering. Every corner I feel like I'm going to slide off the seat sideways.

Android auto is great. It's buggy but I'm sure they'll work that out. I want it in any new car I buy moving forward. Add this to the list of bad decisions being made by BMW (they don't offer it.)
I totally get the lipstick comment, but I found in the case of the 1/2 ton I wanted the GMC lipstick. (plus the GM "deals" at Labor Day made the GMC lipstick more attractive)

My system just downloaded two more apps last week, so it does look like the info center does continue to evolve.
Old 04-03-2018, 10:37 AM   #43
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Quote:
Right... maybe. I do like a lot about it. The blocking the rear view is kind of annoying, but I guess better than not being able to haul the item because you had nowhere to store the cover.

The other issue is that any tonneau that you release by opening the gate and pulling a string - it might as well not lock. All you have to do is slide a hanger in there and pull the string.
out.
Right, that's why I initially said "Bakflip" style.

Blocking the window is no big deal, more often than not you'll be blocking it with whatever large item is in the bed anyway. Remember, this is a special situations vehicle. Compromises are expected when maximizing for utility.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 10:55 AM   #44
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:
"Goodyear wrangler all terrain adventure with kevlar". Long enough name?

They get mediocre reviews but I was still impressed at how they did in the snow. It was a wet snow so maybe it was an easy test, but still.
I think those are the standard tires for the JGC Trailhawk edition. I will file away to an always tire-obsessed corner of my mind that you like them, good to know.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 11:09 AM   #45
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
Right, that's why I initially said "Bakflip" style.
I don't get what you mean. Is there a Bakflip style that doesn't have a pull string to open?
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 12:06 PM   #46
3LOU5
Slacker Extraordinaire

That folding Bakflip cover is intriguing.

However, the only thing I don't like about it is the inability to see rearward. Isn't there a law in which you MUST have a clear view towards the back ?? Could you get a violation/citation for this ??
2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
2018 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited - hers
2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers (SOLD 02/29/20)
2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
2007 Reinell 186 FNS - the dog's
1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S !
3LOU5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 12:19 PM   #47
3LOU5
Slacker Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
I think those are the standard tires for the JGC Trailhawk edition. I will file away to an always tire-obsessed corner of my mind that you like them, good to know.
If you're looking for a better all-terrain tires for your Jeep, the venerable BFG All-Terrain are highly rated. The KO2 is the latest version which I have, and I like them a lot. Not only are they capable in most conditions I subject them too, but they're quiet and not as expensive as compared to Pro-Comp, Dick Cepek, Mickey Thompson, tire brands that are more geared to trucks.
2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
2018 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited - hers
2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers (SOLD 02/29/20)
2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
2007 Reinell 186 FNS - the dog's
1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S !
3LOU5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 12:21 PM   #48
rumatt
Mugwump

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3LOU5 View Post
However, the only thing I don't like about it is the inability to see rearward. Isn't there a law in which you MUST have a clear view towards the back ?? Could you get a violation/citation for this ??
I'm with Bren on this one. If you are in a situation where you need 100% of the bed, the ability to see out isn't that big of a deal. Plus, if you really want to you can still take it off, just like any other tonneau.

What bothers me is that you can open it in 10 seconds with a wire coat hanger. I know that no tonneau is a vault, but it should be more difficult than that.
Old 04-03-2018, 12:32 PM   #49
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Quote:
I don't get what you mean. Is there a Bakflip style that doesn't have a pull string to open?
I haven't done an exhaustive search for options, but I'm sure there are competing products. Though, I also think the coat hanger thing may be a bit of a anti-sales gimmick. You can most likely figure out a way to mitigate that issue (ie. Can you drill a hole and put a clip in the mechanism to lock it?) It's far more likely a thief will just grab a pry-bar and go at the cover.

Quote:
I'm with Bren on this one. If you are in a situation where you need 100% of the bed, the ability to see out isn't that big of a deal. Plus, if you really want to you can still take it off, just like any other tonneau.
Throw a car trailer behind your truck and you aren't using anything but the side mirrors to see behind. Eventually you even get used to the guy you can't shake who's following you so closely.

My folding cover has levers that clip under the bed rails. I can't remember who makes it, but it is really easy to take off and/or fold, but it doesn't flip-up to give full access to the bad so it has to be totally removed every once in a while for something.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 07:52 AM   #50
rumatt
Mugwump

I just checked the wheel bolt torque spec. 140 foot pounds. Seems kind of excessive.

I'll need roadside assistance just to break the bolts free if I don't carry a breaker bar.