carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 04-02-2018, 12:40 PM   #31
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
Aren't there lift systems to help with both those issues?
Probably? But would that not require having a garage with enough ceiling height to hoist up the cap? My detached has enough height for that but the attached does not...
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 12:51 PM   #32
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
Probably? But would that not require having a garage with enough ceiling height to hoist up the cap? My detached has enough height for that but the attached does not...
This. The president of one of the German companies I worked for had a neat pulley system for removing and storing the removable hard top for his SL500
Old 04-02-2018, 08:51 PM   #33
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Back truck into garage. Attach. Raise a couple inches? Drive off?

Just did an image search and saw something that gave me an idea. You could probably build something with wood and/or metal pipe riding on casters that that you can wheel into place and then move somewhere else. Inside and outside.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 11:13 PM   #34
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
300 mile update: So far I'm really liking the truck.

It's reasonably quite and pleasant to drive. The z71 package gives you shocks and all-terrain tires that produce pretty spongy steering, but it's a truck so somehow I'm OK with that.

The steering is overboosted and the ride isn't the smoothest over bumps (although not terrible either)... but it's a truck so somehow I'm OK with that.

At my parents house I had a chance to drive around on some rough terrain and use the truck to steal some of their firewood that I had just split. It was fun. I'm loving that I can finally move shit around without having to ask for help or rent a vehicle. It's liberating.

And this morning I drove in 5" of unplowed snow. In RWD the truck was useless, but in 4-high it was great. Even with no weight in the back, and with all-season / all terrain tires, it was completely stable in turns and while accelerating.

The interior is pretty econobox, but so far it isn't bothering me. I was tempted to get the GMC instead but it didn't have the same incentives so was 3k more expensive. And somehow it just felt like putting lipstick on a pig. If I'm getting a chevy, I'll just take the chevy.

The seats are pretty mediocre and a complaint of a lot of owners. I got the leather seats because they have less of a bulge around the edge of the seat bottom that makes people's legs fall asleep (including mine). That and the base seats look like garbage. The leather seats are flat and firm but they actually work reasonably well for me. Except the complete lack of side bolstering. Every corner I feel like I'm going to slide off the seat sideways.

Android auto is great. It's buggy but I'm sure they'll work that out. I want it in any new car I buy moving forward. Add this to the list of bad decisions being made by BMW (they don't offer it.)

The paint is "Graphite Metallic" which I was hoping was a dark gray. It turns out it has a significant green tint to it and it's darker than I suspected. It basically looks green during the day and black at night. Oh well.

When buying I was considering buying a big old rusty full-sizer to sit out in the driveway as a 3rd vehicle. But I was tired of having more cars than garage space and my insurance bill has been pissing me off. So I decided a new Colorado would play the role of both a) winter car and b) truck-stuff. So far I'm thinking that decision might work out.

Last edited by rumatt; 04-02-2018 at 11:32 PM.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 11:39 PM   #35
rumatt
Mugwump

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
I have one like that too, but on mine you just flip a couple levers to remove it. After you remove it though, you have to store it somewhere.... Get a Bakflip style.
Right... maybe. I do like a lot about it. The blocking the rear view is kind of annoying, but I guess better than not being able to haul the item because you had nowhere to store the cover.

The other issue is that any tonneau that you release by opening the gate and pulling a string - it might as well not lock. All you have to do is slide a hanger in there and pull the string.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8B8kBhUynf4

Quote:
Kevin has the sliding roll-up style hard cover. Pull a latch and push it and it retracts to the base of the cab. I think I like this style the best, but he can't haul nearly the amount of stuff in the bed that I can.
I was originally leaning toward one of these. But I don't like that it takes up space inside the bed (about 10"x10"). With a folding one I can jam more stuff under the cover when it's open, like a bicycle or the the end of a kayak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
Just did an image search and saw something that gave me an idea. You could probably build something with wood and/or metal pipe riding on casters that that you can wheel into place and then move somewhere else. Inside and outside.
I don't have anywhere near the room for something like that, inside or outside the garage. The cap is officially out.

Last edited by rumatt; 04-03-2018 at 12:13 AM.
Old 04-03-2018, 06:37 AM   #36
3LOU5
Slacker Extraordinaire

What all-terrain tires came with the truck ??

Btw, I get the very “liberating” thing. When I drive my beater full-size off-road or in the deep snow, it’s practically unstoppable. And when hauling/towing stuff, you can’t beat it.

I don’t quite understand how one household can have two of the same type of cars. There’s a guy on a Toyota Sienna forum that proudly brags he AND his wife drive their own Camry SEs.

TWO Camrys.

Really ?!?!

Anyway, a household should have at least one pickup……
2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
2018 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited - hers
2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers (SOLD 02/29/20)
2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
2007 Reinell 186 FNS - the dog's
1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S !
3LOU5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 06:54 AM   #37
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
It's funny you mention the insurance bill annoying you. I just paid our car insurance for the next 6 months, and the Boxster was the biggest hit for all of the vehicles we have (the Ram isn't far behind, though...). For a vehicle that I only use 6 or 7 months out of the year. It honestly got me thinking of selling it.

I'll probably change my mind once the weather gets nice enough to drive it.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 07:09 AM   #38
rumatt
Mugwump

Quote:
It's funny you mention the insurance bill annoying you. I just paid our car insurance for the next 6 months, and the Boxster was the biggest hit for all of the vehicles we have (the Ram isn't far behind, though...). For a vehicle that I only use 6 or 7 months out of the year. It honestly got me thinking of selling it.
Exactly. I thought about keeping the wagon around just for kicks, to have a non-truck winter vehicle. But the wagon as a 3rd vehicle ends up being almost as expensive as the main vehicle, every though the wagon would spend most of its time parked in a locked garage.

It's stupid. Their models do a shitty job of representing the actual risk of me adding a 3rd vehicle.

Together with my rates going up lately for no explainable reason, it fueled my desire to go down to two cars.

Last edited by rumatt; 04-03-2018 at 07:35 AM.
Old 04-03-2018, 07:34 AM   #39
rumatt
Mugwump

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3LOU5 View Post
What all-terrain tires came with the truck ??
"Goodyear wrangler all terrain adventure with kevlar". Long enough name?

They get mediocre reviews but I was still impressed at how they did in the snow. It was a wet snow so maybe it was an easy test, but still.
Old 04-03-2018, 08:11 AM   #40
rumatt
Mugwump

Quote:
Kevin has the sliding roll-up style hard cover. Pull a latch and push it and it retracts to the base of the cab. I think I like this style the best
This roll-n-lock looks pretty sweet, particularly with the bed divider. I just wonder how often the bed space it takes up is going to piss me off - like when trying to carry my bike below. I think it would slide under the roll up box... Maybe.

That and how well it will retract after 2 years of being covered with leaves and tree sap.

https://youtu.be/Yu2PZdUizlI

Last edited by rumatt; 04-03-2018 at 08:47 AM.