carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 05-25-2021, 11:44 AM   #1431
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
See, I've actually come to believe the opposite. The period during which your kids can fit (not even comfortably, just *at all*) in the back of a 911 is really not very long. Maybe 5-7 years, starting from booster age up through like 10 or so? And 10 is optimistic, if they're kinda small.

But putting kids in the back seat of a 911 means no luggage space except the frunk, and I've sort of thought about using the Boxster with only the frunk and it would be tight (especially with a spare up there).

Anyway, with the benefit of hindsight (and now that the kids are old enough to ride in the front of a two-seater), I'm just not sure that owning a 911 is worth the candle for its extra usability as a parent.

The other thing I've been thinking about quite a bit is that it's really pretty weird that the 2 seat Boxster is the "entry level" Porsche, given that it embodies maybe better than anything short of a GT the sort of sporting ethos you expect from a Porsche. It's not a grand tourer, like the 911 has become--it's a sports car. Wild that it's the cheap one.

Porsche's marketing is still so powerful that I want a 911, if only because I've never owned one and it feels like I should. But when I think about actual, day to day usability? I think the Boxster is a better fit. It's more fun and it's arguably better at some daily stuff, because it has two locking trunks. You can't take your 5 year old with you, but you can take your 9 year old, and she'll have a lot more fun than she would jammed in the back of the 911.
Good points. Yeah, maybe the whole 911-has-backseats thing is just a way for me to rationalize wanting a 911 over a boxster for no good reason other than I just love the way the 911 looks. In reality, the Boxster is going to be more fun due to being a convertible and mid-engine. Agree on the luggage constraints, though I'd never seriously consider taking an overnight trip with the whole family stuffed in a 911. For someone who currently owns neither (myself), I'm not sure it matters much in terms of cost. Both cars are in short supply on the used market, and while the 911 commands a premium, it'll likely retain that premium over the years (in other words, the extra cost of the 911 is likely neglible in terms of added depreciation). Obviously if you already have a Boxster, the calculus is different.

Last edited by robg; 05-25-2021 at 01:23 PM.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 08:42 AM   #1432
zach
swinging for the fences

Carmudgeonly Ride: 987, X7 M60i, e36 M3
This 997.1 C4S could end up being a decent deal given the high mileage (but probably not).

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...carrera-4s-29/
zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 10:02 AM   #1433
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
I would just assume there is no such thing as a decent deal on Bring a Trailer. I think the only place to get lucky with a deal these days is local private sales with people that don't watch the market as closely as BAT followers, Rennlisters and other online forum people do.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 10:09 AM   #1434
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
I would just assume there is no such thing as a decent deal on Bring a Trailer. I think the only place to get lucky with a deal these days is local private sales with people that don't watch the market as closely as BAT followers, Rennlisters and other online forum people do.
Agreed. The only exception might be a poster on BaT that fucks up and doesn't play the game right, either by not being responsive or by giving sketchy answers. Of course, that carries its own risks.

Honestly, there's no such thing as a good deal in the 911 market at this point. If you want one, you have to resign yourself to the fact that you're going to pay 20 percent or more today than you would have a year ago...and that the same car might not be worth what you pay in a couple of years.

That said, Gen X is still very into these cars and has another 20 years or so of car spending in it, so I wouldn't expect these things to become orphan collectibles until 2040 or so, and who knows, by then maybe everything ICE will have a certain cache.

Like I said above, now that the kids can ride with me, I'm struggling to fit a 911 into my lifestyle in addition to the Boxster, but I'm sort of thinking that in a few years if I get a GTI or something for the kid to drive, it might make sense to replace the M3 with one. The problem is that I occasionally need to carry more than one kid, or kids + friends, and a 911 really can't do that.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 10:49 PM   #1435
JST

997.2S, black/black, low miles, but accident in the history of unknown severity.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...-carrera-s-16/

It will be at least 60. The accident might hold it down a little but honestly I bet it hits 70.
Old 05-28-2021, 04:52 AM   #1436
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
- rear end collision in a 911, likely bad as it was sold right after
- carfax may be undercounting, 5 owners?
- crazy times, waiting out these days
- slightly too many mods for my taste, tracked?
- black/black

The sound mods were popular for the 987.2 and 997.2's, as the 09-12 cars were a bit quiet compared to cars before and after them. So might be on the loud side but would not stop me.

There are a couple of mods I don't love. Solid engine mounts and CAI. Interesting that it needed a new clutch. Tracked?

Then again mid-60's to 70 would still be not insane in my view without accident history. With that, that's crazy.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 07:11 AM   #1437
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
This is an excellent time to dump your accident car. Many, many used cars now seem to have at least one accident, sometimes two, and multiple owners. And that’s the stuff we know about...
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 07:39 AM   #1438
JST

What is kind of amazing is looking at the history, the car sat new on the lot for more than a year. 2009/10 were tough times for Porsche sales, no wonder there aren’t that many of these.
Old 06-02-2021, 11:38 AM   #1439
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Agreed. The only exception might be a poster on BaT that fucks up and doesn't play the game right, either by not being responsive or by giving sketchy answers. Of course, that carries its own risks.

Honestly, there's no such thing as a good deal in the 911 market at this point. If you want one, you have to resign yourself to the fact that you're going to pay 20 percent or more today than you would have a year ago...and that the same car might not be worth what you pay in a couple of years.

That said, Gen X is still very into these cars and has another 20 years or so of car spending in it, so I wouldn't expect these things to become orphan collectibles until 2040 or so, and who knows, by then maybe everything ICE will have a certain cache.

Like I said above, now that the kids can ride with me, I'm struggling to fit a 911 into my lifestyle in addition to the Boxster, but I'm sort of thinking that in a few years if I get a GTI or something for the kid to drive, it might make sense to replace the M3 with one. The problem is that I occasionally need to carry more than one kid, or kids + friends, and a 911 really can't do that.
Agree. There’s no deals to be had.

So one has to take FC’s YOLO mentality or just be rational and wait out the bubble.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 12:41 PM   #1440
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...5470/overview/

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote