carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 07-29-2008, 10:01 AM   #21
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
SARAFIL, I take it there is no sign of ED being availble from MINI, right? The moment you sniff a chance, let me know.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 10:06 AM   #22
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
SARAFIL, I take it there is no sign of ED being availble from MINI, right? The moment you sniff a chance, let me know.
Given the state of currency markets, you aren't going to save any money at all on a trip to England. I also kind of doubt that Mini is going to be introducing anything like this given that they are already selling as many as they can make...and I'm not sure how scenic the old BMC plant really is, anyway.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 10:22 AM   #23
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Given the state of currency markets, you aren't going to save any money at all on a trip to England. I also kind of doubt that Mini is going to be introducing anything like this given that they are already selling as many as they can make...and I'm not sure how scenic the old BMC plant really is, anyway.
I don't expect any discount. And just like BMW ED, I plan on kissing the plant good bye 5 minutes after I get the keys. But you are right. It's a long shot. Just asking, since MINI has been claiming to be working on this for quite some time. If they said, "nevermind we are not doing it," I wouldn't ask.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:53 AM   #24
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ff View Post
I still think that you should keep the 330i.

I'm still baffled by the mindset that Mini > E46
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 11:25 AM   #25
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post

preference?

one of my main reasons is the strong residuals (artificially high for the R56) --in the event i change my mind or migrate to the R55, etc. and in the interim, i'm definitely not suffering.

i'm sure the E46s have strong residuals, also, but they aren't exactly riding at the crest of the wave of fuel efficient vehicles for resale.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 11:32 AM   #26
ff

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post

Thinking back, I probably didn't think that the MINI was better than the 330i, but I do recall believing that it was a worthy replacement.

Evidently some of the MINI's shortcomings have been resolved since I made the 330i-to-mini mistake, but I still don't see it as being anywhere close to the same league as the 330i.

It's all about expectations. If you understand that the MINI is less, and go into it just wanting something different, then you'll probably love it. But if you expect it to do the things that the 330i can do, you might be in for a let-down.
ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 11:35 AM   #27
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by ff View Post
Thinking back, I probably didn't think that the MINI was better than the 330i, but I do recall believing that it was a worthy replacement.

Evidently some of the MINI's shortcomings have been resolved since I made the 330i-to-mini mistake, but I still don't see it as being anywhere close to the same league as the 330i.

It's all about expectations. If you understand that the MINI is less, and go into it just wanting something different, then you'll probably love it. But if you expect it to do the things that the 330i can do, you might be in for a let-down.
yes.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 11:45 AM   #28
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
yes.

However, I actually think my MCS is a smidge quicker than my 330 was. It's also newer. And it's got better electronic doodads.

I wouldn't say it's a "better" car than an E46 though -- it's a very different car. But both cars are very well executed, and are very fun and able. They each have strengths and limitations.
Old 07-29-2008, 12:29 PM   #29
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaz View Post

However, I actually think my MCS is a smidge quicker than my 330 was. It's also newer. And it's got better electronic doodads.

I wouldn't say it's a "better" car than an E46 though -- it's a very different car. But both cars are very well executed, and are very fun and able. They each have strengths and limitations.
I understand that ceteris paribus ZHP>MCS. However,

-MCS is new, ZHP 5.5 years old with all that comes along with that.
-MCS is different (sometimes that is good)
-MCS is more economic
-Wife LOVES the MCS as much as we would all love to have a Cayman, GT3, etc.
-I can cash out 10-15K to pay for remodeling stuff and finance the MCS for a reasonably attractive rate (is 5% or less doable nowadays?)

So, despite all those points I am not 100% sold on the idea yet since we all know how much better the ZHP is versatility-wise, etc, but liek I said, I am close to spendign money on winter tires and tinting - things that you get pennies on the dollar upon selling.

Finally, remember that while getting a sportscar is not contingent upon swaping the ZHP for an MCS, the MCS will not be my sole source of driving fun. In fact it would merely be complementary.

Perhaps more than I can admit, in the background there is a bit of, who did clyde so eloquently put it? Ah yes, "the need to f*ck other women." TNTFOW?
Old 07-29-2008, 12:34 PM   #30
Optimus Prime
Carmudgeon

Carmudgeonly Ride: Golf TDi
We're considering a clubman to replace the e90. With the possible move, high gas prices, and my use of bicycle transportation, we're likely going to consolidate the giant truck and car into just one family car.

The problem is we have no Mini dealers within less than a 2.5 hour drive.