carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 05-28-2008, 11:22 AM   #11
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
The central speedo is a major Mini design flaw, IMO. It's a huge turn-off. They are still neat cars and very fun to drive.
I liked the option they offered on late R53's where you could get two small dials over the steering column with speedo and tach. Too bad they didn't carry it over. Still, the digital speedo under the tach works well enough, I guess. It's just that the central one is dumb.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 12:00 PM   #12
Rob
The user formerly known as rwg

Carmudgeonly Ride: Z4
Quote:
Originally Posted by makaveli View Post
I'd let my wife buy whatever she wanted.
Me too. Especially considering her contribution to income (how can you even argue in that case?).
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 12:33 PM   #13
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
The central speedo is a major Mini design flaw, IMO. It's a huge turn-off. They are still neat cars and very fun to drive.
Meh. It's annoying, but you get used to it quickly. If necessary, you can set the digital display in the tach to display your speed, which is the same approach Mazda used for the RX-8.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 12:28 PM   #14
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Meh. It's annoying, but you get used to it quickly. If necessary, you can set the digital display in the tach to display your speed, which is the same approach Mazda used for the RX-8.
my main gripes, too.

i'd like to know boost PSI, oil temp and water temp in an OEM-type of way.

given that it's a German car made by Brits, you could see why i'm distrustful of any aftermarketeer who would splice into the factory Lucas electronics to add those gauges.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 02:40 PM   #15
lupinsea
Jeeped

Carmudgeonly Ride: Modified Jeep Tj and '07 Miata
They're still using Lucas for the electronics? As in Lucas, Prince of Darkeness? As in Loose Unsoldered Connections and Splices?

I really hope they've improved over the years.

"Jeep is the only true American sports car*" - Enzo Ferrari

* Or something to that effect.
lupinsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 03:04 PM   #16
lemming
Western Anomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupinsea View Post
They're still using Lucas for the electronics? As in Lucas, Prince of Darkeness? As in Loose Unsoldered Connections and Splices?

I really hope they've improved over the years.
i think they actually do for some OEM bits and pieces.

but for the most part, i was just making stuff up (do you really trust german electrical stuff installed by brits?).

Old 07-29-2008, 09:03 AM   #17
FC
Solving problems

I'm getting that feeling again - that maybe I should swap the 330i for an MCS. I have to go to a body shop and get an estimate for yet another bumper hit. I think the signs are getting clearer. I also have started to think that maybe it's time for a change. My kid is about to go FF and if we have a 2nd kid, my wife would be home 6 months, meaning I'd only have to deal with one RF kid for 6 months. I dunno. Just more waffling I guess. It's just that I'm about to have to buy new winter tires and pay for window tinting. If I keep it through the winter, I'd probably hang on to it for a while longer.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:18 AM   #18
ff

Knowing the frown I'll get from Bono, I still think that you should keep the 330i. At least through the winter.
ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 09:56 AM   #19
lemming
Western Anomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
I'm getting that feeling again - that maybe I should swap the 330i for an MCS. I have to go to a body shop and get an estimate for yet another bumper hit. I think the signs are getting clearer. I also have started to think that maybe it's time for a change. My kid is about to go FF and if we have a 2nd kid, my wife would be home 6 months, meaning I'd only have to deal with one RF kid for 6 months. I dunno. Just more waffling I guess. It's just that I'm about to have to buy new winter tires and pay for window tinting. If I keep it through the winter, I'd probably hang on to it for a while longer.
i'm sorry, F.

we still need to get together so you can drive the car. i've just had it in for a quick service visit and also a new windshield.

(sigh).

Old 07-29-2008, 10:00 AM   #20
FC
Solving problems

No sweat lemming. My house is in the middle of remodeling so it's not as if I've had a lot of spare time. Maybe I'll have you and Zach over when it's all done (hopefully by Labor Day).