Old 10-16-2003, 06:40 PM   #11
Roadstergal
Butting in.

Re: Z4 impressions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK
I've gotten them to squeal like a pig easily
Do they have a real purty mouth?

Re: the Bahstan classifications - SCCA has them classed in stock B, with the S2000s - isn't that where the 330s are?
Old 10-16-2003, 07:12 PM   #12
SpaceMonk
Jaded

Quote:
Where do I start?

There's this notion that the Z4 is just a much lighter version of the later E46 Cics are way wrong. The Z4 is NOTHING like the E46 dynamically. They may share a lot of suspension parts, but whatever BMW did to it, they must have put in different springs and shocks.

The blue Ci drives like it's on rails after all the modifications. The Z4, right out of the box, drives BETTER than the blue Ci. You push and push and it just keeps looking back at you like "is this all you got punk? I get a better work-out sitting in the garage." The limit on this car is the TIRES. They are heavy and they don't grip all that well. I've gotten them to squeal like a pig easily, and they tend to transmit way too much vibration into the car.

I remember how noisy my Z3 was now. The Z4, despite better insulation, is noisy as hell with the top up or down. In a way I've gotten spoiled by the Ci. It is so quiet I can't hear the Remus exhaust when the windows are all closed. The Z4 on the other hand is all about visceral grunt and sheer pen*s extension, much like the Z3 was if it had a bigger engine.

Balance on this car is like all other BMW, neutral with a touch of understeer. Steering is the biggest surprised. I hear all this complaints about the electronic assisted steering. The Z4 steering is actually heavier and more precise than my Ci's steering, and it's got the old, good steering wearing fat sticky boots up front (235s). And its smooth as butter, but sharp as a knife going through corners. No dead spot. Returns to center quickly and easily. It IS a touch light when manuevering in the parking lot, but not enough to throw me off.

Now to the bad part. Ergonomics SUCKS in this car. The window buttons are hard to reach. The DSC button and the top up/down buttons are hard to reach. The seat adjustiment buttons are hard to reach. The small door pouches are hard to reach. The Z3 was much better in this regard. The material used in the Z4 is also a big step back...Although the extended leather part of it is very, very nice.

Not much new on this car that I haven't expected though.
Can I go over to the other board now and say ?

Old 10-16-2003, 07:32 PM   #13
The HACK
Crotchety

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceMonk

Feel free, but make sure you post a link back to this thread to PROOVE that it was indeed a cross post/repost.

• SEMA 2004 • Leadership Matrix has been passed, Ricemus Prime Lives!!!
The HACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 07:48 PM   #14
SpaceMonk
Jaded

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceMonk

Feel free, but make sure you post a link back to this thread to PROOVE that it was indeed a cross post/repost.
LOL. Heh. It would be even funnier if this was in The Pub, so the link wouldn't work for non-registered members.
Old 10-17-2003, 01:01 AM   #15
GSR13
Realist

Carmudgeonly Ride: Honda S2000
I have driven two Z4's, a 2.5 Manual and a 3.0 Step. Both cars drove extremely well and the handling was excellent. The 3.0, despite being a Step, was felt tons faster than my 330i. Granted, most of it was perception, but the car just feels like a rocket.

I agree about the Roof Switch and the Window Switches, both were placed poorly in my opinion. I could deal with it, since it is not something that I am constantly dealing with. I just get used to having them by the shifter. I also dislike the straight dash. I prefer the old school style with the radio and cliimate control tilted towards the driver. Not a big adjustment, as the Z3 is the basically the same way.

The one thing I really like is the position/feel of the shifter. Both the Manual and the Step Shifter feel very well positioned in relation to the driver. I also love the top. Not having to release the latches is a major plus, as is the glass rear window. BMW definately fixed a lot of complaints that we have had with the Z3, but overall my wife disklikes the Z4.

She dislikes the styling but was also very unimpressed with her time spent driving the car. While it immediately turned her off to the Z4, I feel most of her problem was seat position. She is only 5' 3" and the seat was lowered all the way down, which made her feel very low inside the car. This is not a feeling that ever happens in the Z3. The doors just seem much taller on the Z4.

I definately like the car and would seriously consider one if I were buying a roadster for a third car. Not sure it would top the list, but it would definately be on it.
GSR13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 12:29 PM   #16
The HACK
Crotchety

GSR, regarding the seating position...

I've noticed that the Z4 dash is SIGNIFICANTLY higher than the Z3, and the windshield, while raked, has a much smaller area to view through than the Z3 and my E46. Creates an illusion of clastrophobia, especially with the top up.

My wife made the same complaint about not being able to see clearly through the high dash, but then once she found the right seating position she was all cool about buying this car.

• SEMA 2004 • Leadership Matrix has been passed, Ricemus Prime Lives!!!
The HACK is offline   Reply With Quote