carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 01-23-2006, 10:18 AM   #11
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt
I think most people who say, "Owning a 10 year old BMW is no big deal" are the people who enjoy fixing cars.

Giving it a little more thought, I agree 100%.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 10:37 AM   #12
robg
Carmudgeon

I agree w/ the other posters-- ZHP vs ZSP from a reliability standponit should a non-issue.

BTW, yes, the stalling issue was solved. It turned out to be a bad batch of something called the "DISA valve" that was out of spec. BMW issued a TSB on it, and from what i've read on bimmerfest this seems to have cured the probelm. Do a search on "DISA" if you want to read more.

I think the items you should be prepared to deal with when keeping an e46 for 10 years are:
-Control arms every 40k ($300 for the set if you DIY)
-shocks every 30-40k (Don't know price).
-Window regulators every 30k ($80 each of i you DIY)
-New cooling system (theromostat, radiator, water pump, hoses) at 60k- as preventive maint (Don't know price--if you DIY, i'd guess around maybe $300).
-New brakes every 30k (About $300 in parts for all 4 if you DIY)

Other than that, the car should get you to 10 years with no problem. You may also have other random issues, but the list above is what you should expect going in (in the same way that you expect to change oil).
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 10:41 AM   #13
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by robg
BTW, yes, the stalling issue was solved. It turned out to be a bad batch of something called the "DISA valve" that was out of spec.
WTF is a DISA valve. I guess I need to search.

Rob, do you happen to know if the problem was specific to ZHP's? Very occasionally, my car (ZSP) sputters at red lights and gets very near stalling.

EDIT: This guy claims he still has problems after DISA fix. http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=105979
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 10:43 AM   #14
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt
WTF is a DISA valve. I guess I need to search.

Do you happen to know if the problem was specific to ZHP's? Very occasionally, my car (ZSP) sputters at red lights and gets very near stalling.
I forget what a DISA valve is tooo- it was explained in one of the posts on bimmerfest. Yeah-- I the problem was not ZHP specific as it turned out.

EDIT: Yeah, I think some peopel still said they had issues-- but my recollection was tht the majority of people had the problem solved. It seems like its worht a shot if you're having stalling issues.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 10:51 AM   #15
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
Quote:
Originally Posted by robg
I think the items you should be prepared to deal with when keeping an e46 for 10 years are:
-Control arms every 40k ($300 for the set if you DIY)
-shocks every 30-40k (Don't know price).
-Window regulators every 30k ($80 each of i you DIY)
-New cooling system (theromostat, radiator, water pump, hoses) at 60k- as preventive maint (Don't know price--if you DIY, i'd guess around maybe $300).
-New brakes every 30k (About $300 in parts for all 4 if you DIY)
At 80K + on my '02 330i:
- No control arm problems yet
- No window regulator problems yet
- Water pump and thermostat replaced

Guess I'm just lucky.
Old 01-23-2006, 12:40 PM   #16
ff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaz
At 80K + on my '02 330i:
- No control arm problems yet
- No window regulator problems yet
- Water pump and thermostat replaced

Guess I'm just lucky.
Yeah, dude, you're about due for something to break. Not that I'm wishing it upon you. It's just that there's only so long you can go before something has to go wrong.
ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 12:44 PM   #17
Plaz
•••••••

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff
Yeah, dude, you're about due for something to break. Not that I'm wishing it upon you. It's just that there's only so long you can go before something has to go wrong.
Yeah.

I'm planning on getting a full knowledgeable inspection this spring, if I can find a really good independent BMW guy in Jersey.
Old 01-23-2006, 12:48 PM   #18
ff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaz
Yeah.

I'm planning on getting a full knowledgeable inspection this spring, if I can find a really good independent BMW guy in Jersey.

I'd say that sounds like an excellent idea. That way you can start knocking off the little things that are soon to need replacement, as time and money permit. Sure beats being broken down on the side of the highway.
ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 12:50 PM   #19
Plaz
•••••••

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff
I'd say that sounds like an excellent idea. That way you can start knocking off the little things that are soon to need replacement, as time and money permit. Sure beats being broken down on the side of the highway.
Exactly. Thankfully, I have not yet been stranded by this car. Flat tires being the only things that required action before continuing down the road.

I'd hate to experience a control arm snapping at 85mph on the interstate.
Old 01-23-2006, 01:25 PM   #20
lupinsea
Jeeped

Carmudgeonly Ride: Modified Jeep Tj and '07 Miata
Damn, you guys are fast, I just posted this last night. Cool. Thanks a bunch guys.

Considering the mild upgrades to the ZHP I didn't think it would be a big deal but I thought I'd check. If we can find a ZHP for a good price then I think I'll go with that. I find it a VERY sweet package from the suspension tweaks to the cam and software, and the wheels. Very nice.

It also looks like there are some common wear items that I just need to be ready for. I've read the write ups on the control arm replacement, that looks easy enough given time for a learning curve. Althought I thought it was the rear bushings that go out. Plaz just mentioned something about the arms "snapping" potentially? Never heard about that aspect.

And I'd heard about the window regulators and a little about the cooling system. Does the whole system really need to be replace (incl radiator?) I thought it was just the water pumps that tend to go bad.... something about the impeller.

Oh, and would it be worth it to pick up a code reader tool of some kind to plug into the car's OBD?? system? Thinking this may save money after a few readings vs. taking it into the dealer.

Oh, shocks! As a consumable every 30-40k would it make sense to replace the OEM spec shock with an aftermarket variety that perhaps will last longer? Or do they all pretty much need replacement at 30-40k?
lupinsea is offline   Reply With Quote