carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 12-14-2005, 12:14 AM   #1
misterlance
fanboi

Allow me to be the first to complain.

Finally a Ford product that gets my attention. But not coming to N. America. Go figure.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=108108
misterlance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 12:31 AM   #2
Mr. The Edge
Don't worry, be happy

Carmudgeonly Ride: AW '05 645Cic & '11 Infiniti QX56
I had a Ford Focus as a rental not too long ago. Other than the color (shit brown), it wasn't that bad of a car, relatively speaking.
Mr. The Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 09:02 AM   #3
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterlance
Finally a Ford product that gets my attention. But not coming to N. America. Go figure.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=108108

It's a nice enough product, but I am really not a fan of the Volvo 5 cylinder in any of the "performance" applications I've driven it in. It's fine as a sedan motor, even as a fast luxury sedan motor, but as a sports car engine it leaves a lot to be desired.

I'd like to have the option of buying a Focus ST, but it's pretty hard to imagine that it would be a dynamically better package than the new GTI.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 10:20 AM   #4
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
I've seen the new Focus on my recent trips to Europe, and sat in one at the Frankfurt Auto show.

Very nice looking car, high quality interior (amazing what being competitive in Europe means).

Ford North America must be run by total idiots to not bring it over here.
Old 12-14-2005, 10:27 AM   #5
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB
I've seen the new Focus on my recent trips to Europe, and sat in one at the Frankfurt Auto show.

Very nice looking car, high quality interior (amazing what being competitive in Europe means).

Ford North America must be run by total idiots to not bring it over here.

The argument is that they can't sell it at a profit here--people in the US generally won't pay premium prices for a little car, and Ford hasn't amortized its investment in the first gen car yet.

Is that true? Dunno--the Mazda3 is based on the same architecture, has a similarly high quality interior, and seems to be doing well.
Old 12-14-2005, 10:30 AM   #6
BahnBaum
Tilting Rocinante

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST
Is that true? Dunno--the Mazda3 is based on the same architecture, has a similarly high quality interior, and seems to be doing well.
Do you consider the Mazda3 to be premiumly priced? I would think that if that Focus were to be priced competitively against the Mazda, it could do well. Unless Ford decided to sell it with a manual only, or something similarly stupid.

Alex
Old 12-14-2005, 10:33 AM   #7
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by BahnBaum
Do you consider the Mazda3 to be premiumly priced? I would think that if that Focus were to be priced competitively against the Mazda, it could do well. Unless Ford decided to sell it with a manual only, or something similarly stupid.

Alex
Without bothering to actually look up the prices, it seems to me that the Mazda is priced slightly higher than the Focus, but not as high as, say, the Golf. I could be wrong, but am too lazy to see if I am.
Old 12-14-2005, 12:06 PM   #8
blee
Doctor Mudgeon

The Mazda is priced a bit higher than the Focus here. For the extra dough, you get a much better-appointed interior and some nicer options overall.

As for this new ST, it sounds promising. One thing they fail to mention is that the previous RS was not well-liked by the British press. The power wasn't so bad, but apparently the diff was a real bear in normal driving. I wouldn't mind seeing something that powerful make it over here, since the platform itself is rather nice. Of course, the European Focus is now based on the same platform as the Mazda3, which is one generation newer than the one underpinning the Focus available here. That may be part of the problem.

Until the new Focus reaches these shores, it looks like my SVTF is sort of the king of the hill. And aside from the middling hp, it's not a bad ride at all.
blee is offline   Reply With Quote