carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Technical Superiority

Old 05-20-2011, 11:29 AM   #1
TD
Founder emeritus

Dead battery in the E46 M3

This is the second time in a couple of weeks that I've gone to take the M3 and found it dead. The last time I jumped it and (hoped?) that maybe we had just left something on by mistake. A second time would suggest that it's time...

So what's the latest recommended non-OE battery?

Our local BMW dealer quoted me $161.10 for the OE battery w/ CCA discount.

Batteries Plus, which used to sell the OE Douglass batteries but doesn't any more (which may be due to Douglass getting out of the business - their website no longer has any car batteries on it), suggests a Rayovac battery model (SLI48H6) that goes for $95.

Anything else I should consider? Given that the weather is going to be prime for the convertible tomorrow, I want to take care of this later today. Batteries Plus has the benefit of being a few miles from the house.

EDIT- Just called Batteries Plus... That one is not in stock but the guy I talked to said that, for the M3, he recommends a different model Rayovac (SLI94RH7) that goes for $149.99. I notice the DIN size is different between the two, so I also now need to figure out what will physically fit.
TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 11:38 AM   #2
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD View Post

EDIT- Just called Batteries Plus... That one is not in stock but the guy I talked to said that, for the M3, he recommends a different model Rayovac (SLI94RH7) that goes for $149.99. I notice the DIN size is different between the two, so I also now need to figure out what will physically fit.
If that's the case, why not just get the OEM battery from the dealer? $10 extra and know it fits
Old 05-20-2011, 11:40 AM   #3
TD
Founder emeritus

Okay...

Websites:

Autozone recommends a Duralast Gold (H6 DIN) for $169.99

Advance Auto Parts recommends a Autocraft (H6 DIN) for $164.99

The OE is looking better by the moment...
Old 05-20-2011, 11:47 AM   #4
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
How long had it sat each time?

I doubt its related, but some e46's had a battery drain issue related to the radio.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 11:48 AM   #5
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
How long had it sat each time?

I doubt its related, but some e46's had a battery drain issue related to the radio.
But if the battery is more than 3 years old, its likely toast also. My e46 battery died just under 3.5 years after it was put in the car during production...
Old 05-20-2011, 12:19 PM   #6
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Our e39 has an interstate battery of some sort. So far so good.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 12:38 PM   #7
JST

Quote:
Okay...

Websites:

Autozone recommends a Duralast Gold (H6 DIN) for $169.99

Advance Auto Parts recommends a Autocraft (H6 DIN) for $164.99

The OE is looking better by the moment...
I went with the Duralast Gold when the battery in the Porsche died last year (mainly because they had it in stock and were open on Sunday). So far, so good. No issues.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 01:17 PM   #8
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
Our e39 has an interstate battery of some sort. So far so good.
Nothing but good things to say about Interstate batteries here.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 02:14 PM   #9
TD
Founder emeritus

This is getting silly...

So I call VOB BMW back to make sure that they have one in stock before heading over. Yup. 22 of them. (What?!) Then I ask to confirm the price. $179.9x with the CCA discount. Hold on, that's not what I was told this morning. Now I'm told that guy must have been looking at the wrong battery. I ask whether the guy from this morning might have looked at the non-convertible battery (per BMW, the OE battery for the convertible is a different model than for the hardtop) and I'm told the E46 uses the same battery regardless of body style.

I decide to call BMW of Fairfax, which I can get to on the way home, if only adding about an hour to my trip (with traffic). They agree that the convertible uses a different battery. But offer up the convertible version for $155.xx.

Since VOB is still about 20 minutes out of my way and if I get going soon the time penalty to Fairfax won't be that bad, I guess I'm heading over to Fairfax.
Old 05-20-2011, 02:43 PM   #10
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
This is getting silly...

So I call VOB BMW back to make sure that they have one in stock before heading over. Yup. 22 of them. (What?!) Then I ask to confirm the price. $179.9x with the CCA discount. Hold on, that's not what I was told this morning. Now I'm told that guy must have been looking at the wrong battery. I ask whether the guy from this morning might have looked at the non-convertible battery (per BMW, the OE battery for the convertible is a different model than for the hardtop) and I'm told the E46 uses the same battery regardless of body style.

I decide to call BMW of Fairfax, which I can get to on the way home, if only adding about an hour to my trip (with traffic). They agree that the convertible uses a different battery. But offer up the convertible version for $155.xx.

Since VOB is still about 20 minutes out of my way and if I get going soon the time penalty to Fairfax won't be that bad, I guess I'm heading over to Fairfax.
I have had bad experiences with VOB service cost shenanigans. I replaced my battery prior to having it sit for the winter. My experience with the e46 batteries is they last 4 years, period. Also, I had a parisitic drain from the clutch that was repaired, and wanted a fresh start on a new battery. Especially since the top puts a bit of an extra drain on it--if you put it up and down without the motor running.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote