carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 02-26-2018, 07:22 PM   #41
robg
Carmudgeon

Congrats! Amazing deal.

I've dealt with 3rd parties handling the registration/plates for out-of-state twice before. Both times it's turned out fine, but it doesn't hurt to get the name of the person at the dealership repsonsible for working with those 3rd parties. Follow-up with them just to make sure everything is moving along.

Had some similar confusion with my recent BMW lease and getting access to all the online services. Some stuff works immediately, some stuff took a few days, and to get my automatic map updates working properly I had to find some buried page on a web portal
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 10:57 PM   #42
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Congrats! Amazing deal.

I've dealt with 3rd parties handling the registration/plates for out-of-state twice before. Both times it's turned out fine, but it doesn't hurt to get the name of the person at the dealership repsonsible for working with those 3rd parties. Follow-up with them just to make sure everything is moving along.

Had some similar confusion with my recent BMW lease and getting access to all the online services. Some stuff works immediately, some stuff took a few days, and to get my automatic map updates working properly I had to find some buried page on a web portal
Thanks! The F&I guy has kept in touch. The online stuff is all sorted. It's the title and registration part that I'm concerned about. The third party does this full time for a living. The F&I guy said they've been using this company for out of state deals for three years without issue. I figure it's in the dealer's interest to make sure it all works out. I'm not concerned except to the extent that I will be concerned until I get my MD title and registration card.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 10:58 PM   #43
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
Thanks! The F&I guy has kept in touch. The online stuff is all sorted. It's the title and registration part that I'm concerned about. The third party does this full time for a living. The F&I guy said they've been using this company for out of state deals for three years without issue. I figure it's in the dealer's interest to make sure it all works out. I'm not concerned except to the extent that I will be concerned until I get my MD title and registration card.
Yeah, the MI BMW dealer used a similar service for my wagon when I bought that and everything went without a hitch.
JST is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 07:13 AM   #44
ff

Similar experience for me. We bought the 4Runner in Mpls while we still lived in Tampa, and they took care of all the paperwork.
ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 08:01 AM   #45
clyde
Chief title editor

I like to think that people know how to do their jobs no matter how much my professional experience disproves that.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 02-27-2018, 08:08 AM   #46
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Quote:
I like to think that people know how to do their jobs no matter how much my professional experience disproves that.

yeah, 17 million new cars sold last year, they should know how to deal with this by now. I've done out of state deals before with issues.

But moving my leased Edge from Washington to South Carolina was much more of a pain than it should have been
Old 02-27-2018, 08:51 AM   #47
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
About 50% of the times when a dealer does my paperwork, something goes wrong. My 2006 cayman came with boxster registration e.g. Nothing went wrong on the Jeep, even my specialty plate request worked. But I've noticed that even in-state processing gets real close to the 3 or 4-week expiration of the temp plates. NJ?
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 09:23 AM   #48
Nick M3
Relic

FYI, you aren't in the clear until you've renewed the plates. As I discovered with my first E46 M3, where I found out that I had a valid title (yay!), but had been driving around with an invalid tag and registration for two years. They ended up issuing new tags.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 12:53 PM   #49
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
About 50% of the times when a dealer does my paperwork, something goes wrong. My 2006 cayman came with boxster registration e.g. Nothing went wrong on the Jeep, even my specialty plate request worked. But I've noticed that even in-state processing gets real close to the 3 or 4-week expiration of the temp plates. NJ?
Titling and registration info are usually automatically pulled based on VIN. Did Porsche use the same model code for the Boxster and Cayman in the VIN?

In MD, you can do it yourself with the MVA (MD's DMV) if you have all the right paperwork. The F&I guy at the dealer refused to give me the manufacturer's certificate of origin, which is one of the required documents. He told me he felt there was enough risk to his dealership and their franchise in giving me that document he would let me walk and give me a check for the gas I used to get there and what it would take to get home.

It's kind of believable, but I have no idea if that's true or not, but I put my faith in the system because it didn't feel like I had much other choice. One of the things that made me question was that he said the car had to first be issued an OH title which would then be transferred to MD and that the third party would take care of all that.

Until it's all done, I'm leery. (con't)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M3 View Post
FYI, you aren't in the clear until you've renewed the plates. As I discovered with my first E46 M3, where I found out that I had a valid title (yay!), but had been driving around with an invalid tag and registration for two years. They ended up issuing new tags.
One of my fears revolves around my tags being properly transferred. I'm also a little concerned about an insurance hassle with MVA despite maintaining continuous coverage (from old car to new car) since I haven't surrendered my tags. Until I have title and correct registration in hand, I'm leery.

How does one wind up with an invalid tag and registration?

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 02-27-2018, 12:58 PM   #50
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
I'm also a little concerned about an insurance hassle with MVA despite maintaining continuous coverage (from old car to new car) since I haven't surrendered my tags
Side note, the Camaro is about 1/3 less expensive to insure than the FoST. Liability is a couple dollars more per six months (literally either $2 or $3), but collision and comprehensive are significantly less expensive.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?