carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 04-05-2023, 01:54 PM   #41
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
Really? The M340i (available in RWD) doesn't interest you?

Really would like to drive the E53.
I think others have said it more elegantly than me, but I’ve moved on from the 3 series.

It’s ugly, heavy and still the entry level product. You’re paying a hefty premium for their mass produced product but you’re getting the basement for materials, typically.

When you move up to the 5 series and E-class, what you find is that you get more premium materials as standard. This class of car is the de facto executive vehicle and I think largely the Germans see it that way and execute on it that way. They tend to be nicer cars all around.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 02:26 PM   #42
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
I think others have said it more elegantly than me, but I’ve moved on from the 3 series.

It’s ugly, heavy and still the entry level product. You’re paying a hefty premium for their mass produced product but you’re getting the basement for materials, typically.

When you move up to the 5 series and E-class, what you find is that you get more premium materials as standard. This class of car is the de facto executive vehicle and I think largely the Germans see it that way and execute on it that way. They tend to be nicer cars all around.
I generallly agree with this, it was my experience on cross shopping the x3 / x5. The quality of materials in the 5 series range is surprisingly nicer than the 3 series equivalent specs. Similarly, the 3 series is pretty big, but still not overly comfortable for back seat people, whereas the 5 is very comfortable for four adults.

The quality of materials in the E class was very good, unfortunately the U/I was horrendous. Especially coming from BMWs, the button functions, lack of control, etc were unbearable. Suggest you go back and re-read my e450 review before your e53 test drive and try out the pain points to see if they bother you. It wasn't something that i picked up on in a quick test drive, but over time it was frustrating enough to make us hate the car.

http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=159769

Its funny to read through that thread and see how happy we were when we bought it and how much happier we were when we sold it. We are still incredibly satisfied with the x5 for the use case.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 03:14 PM   #43
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
I generallly agree with this, it was my experience on cross shopping the x3 / x5. The quality of materials in the 5 series range is surprisingly nicer than the 3 series equivalent specs. Similarly, the 3 series is pretty big, but still not overly comfortable for back seat people, whereas the 5 is very comfortable for four adults.

The quality of materials in the E class was very good, unfortunately the U/I was horrendous. Especially coming from BMWs, the button functions, lack of control, etc were unbearable. Suggest you go back and re-read my e450 review before your e53 test drive and try out the pain points to see if they bother you. It wasn't something that i picked up on in a quick test drive, but over time it was frustrating enough to make us hate the car.

http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=159769

Its funny to read through that thread and see how happy we were when we bought it and how much happier we were when we sold it. We are still incredibly satisfied with the x5 for the use case.
Yes — fixed from my 2020 E53 into the 2021 model year cars. The U/I for Merc is okay. But it’s touchscreen now. Whereas on my E53 it was not (annoying)

BMW tends to have better GUI for the iDrive/CarPlay.

I think BMW’s straight six is brilliant. But I also think Merc’s new straight six is brilliant. And Merc has nailed the hybridized design. It works super well and provides a lot of torque.

I know people have asked about Audi’s - I like the engines. I don’t like the weight/size of their designs and unless you’re getting the S4/S5/S6 models, I think their engines are very plebeian.

One thing, and this is important —is that I think that Merc 9G gearbox sucks. And Audis also use the corp 8 speed automatic.

Porsche uses the PDK in its cars and the Macan —but not the Cayenne. The PDK is clearly superior and it can make a very very dull engine (the EA888) come alive.

Make sure you test the automatics in the cars. You’ll hate the Merc.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 03:15 PM   #44
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
I don't really know the answer to that. I'd need to know how much of one I gain for how much I am losing of the other.
I love my M550, it is probably one of the best all around cars I've owned, crazy fast, great suspension (DHP) and super comfortable to drive (Best seats ever).

The gas mileage sucks I think I average 14 mpg though for me it is a non factor especially being my Commute to the office is 9-10 miles also I go through tires pretty quickly (1 replaced and 2 more needed asap), 3 out of 4 of my wheels were bent at one point, I must of had the wheels balanced at least 4-5 times in the last 2 years and I have only 11k miles. I know this will be an expensive car in regards to maintenance but it is one of the last of its kind.

I would not recommend it for what you are looking for.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 03:19 PM   #45
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M3 View Post
I mean, you're only going to own it for a few years. Who cares?
True.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 03:26 PM   #46
FC
Solving problems

Well, I still think the M550 is worth checking out. It is quite a bit cheaper CPO too, largely in line with the E53.

It seems the E53/M550i lose agility and sharpness vs the M340/C43, but that is to be expected. Also, no matter what relative to the general vehicle population, I'm sure they could move along and handle reasonably well.

I am also getting the BGTS for fun drives and the occasional (much longer) scenic drive to work. The focus would be to have a nice, comfortable cruiser with a roomy back seat that is not too numb.

That's what I say now. We'll see how the test drives work.
Old 04-05-2023, 03:33 PM   #47
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
curious why you think you need the larger engines of the e53/m550 vs the e450 (or whatever straight 6 designation they use now) / 540? If you're stop and go commuting for ~25ish miles each way, what does the added cost of and significant jump in maintenance price get you for the step up?
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 03:34 PM   #48
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Yeah, I don't get that either but I think I overall don't get the point of this purchase so I'll shut up
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 03:40 PM   #49
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
I am only now aware of what the EQS is, and how heinously ugly it is
Agreed. It's amazing how comprehensively MB butchered the whole EV thing.
Old 04-05-2023, 03:42 PM   #50
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
curious why you think you need the larger engines of the e53/m550 vs the e450 (or whatever straight 6 designation they use now) / 540? If you're stop and go commuting for ~25ish miles each way, what does the added cost of and significant jump in maintenance price get you for the step up?
Need? Of course not. But those cars Fake ///M and pseudo AMG tend to give you better features, suspension, sound, etc. without going overboard.

The reviews for E450 and 540 make them seem pretty boring. I don't want to go full Lexus here.

EDIT: To be clear, my commute is not "stop and go." On a typical day:

Driving in (30-40 minutes):
Two miles of cutting through (my) residential neighborhoods @ ~30mph until I get close to the hwy. Then ~8 miles of 65-80mph driving until traffic slows down to ~10-20mph for 5-10 minutes. Then 70-80mph resumes until I basically get to work.

Driving back is worse (40-55 minutes):
Normal highway driving for 5-10 minutes, then 20 minutes of varying slower (and occasionally stop and go driving) then back to 50-70mph driving for another 10 minutes, and then the rest of the highway at 20-40mph speeds. Final 2 miles to my house are slow driving with some stop and go.

Last edited by FC; 04-05-2023 at 03:54 PM.