carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 06-03-2020, 11:11 AM   #91
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
Agreed on all points. Although the size/utility would be perfect for me now. I may be insane, but I'm sort of thinking about test driving an X3M.

Apparently there is a glut of them out there and the deals bring them within shooting range of the X3M40, which are very hard to find well appointed.

Interesting! Looking forward to hearing your thoughts if you end up test driving one. I do recall many reviews claiming the suspension is too stiff - which I’d believe. I had the same problem finding a nicely specced x3 40 on a dealer lot. Wanted adaptive cruise control which few of them have and when they do the are loaded with practically every option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 11:21 AM   #92
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Interesting! Looking forward to hearing your thoughts if you end up test driving one. I do recall many reviews claiming the suspension is too stiff - which I’d believe. I had the same problem finding a nicely specced x3 40 on a dealer lot. Wanted adaptive cruise control which few of them have and when they do the are loaded with practically every option.

They are especially fond of larding up the high spec cars with ginormous wheels down here. Terrible.

And I lived with an e46 M3 and 19-inch wheels. How hard can an X3M with adaptive suspension ride? Particularly if you stay away from crazy big wheel sets.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 12:09 PM   #93
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Quote:
Interesting! Looking forward to hearing your thoughts if you end up test driving one. I do recall many reviews claiming the suspension is too stiff - which I’d believe.
I've alway found with BMWs there is a difference between "stiff" and "crashy" My e90 and to a slightly lesser extent my x5 were crashy, in that they didn't ride so stiffly that you felt every imperfection, but when they hit a bump it was jarring and sounded like something broke. It seems like as their cars got heavier this phenomena got worse. The reviews of the X3M sound like it took a major step in the wrong direction.

The 911 is the opposite, it is stiff and you can feel most every road imperfection , but it does a surprisingly good job of absorbing the bigger stuff without throwing you into your seatbelt or getting unsettled.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 12:38 PM   #94
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
I've alway found with BMWs there is a difference between "stiff" and "crashy" My e90 and to a slightly lesser extent my x5 were crashy, in that they didn't ride so stiffly that you felt every imperfection, but when they hit a bump it was jarring and sounded like something broke. It seems like as their cars got heavier this phenomena got worse. The reviews of the X3M sound like it took a major step in the wrong direction.

The 911 is the opposite, it is stiff and you can feel most every road imperfection , but it does a surprisingly good job of absorbing the bigger stuff without throwing you into your seatbelt or getting unsettled.
Yeah, my 2012 E91 was not good in that regard. And I hear the earlier models were even worse.

I think part of the issue may be the stock 21-inch wheels that the X5M competition comes with, though (and that dealers seem to add to the non-comps on their lots). I have found one at a local dealer with JUST 20-inch wheels. LOL.
Old 06-03-2020, 01:22 PM   #95
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post

Totally agree. Yes, the concern would be "crashiness" not stiffness per se. And it's definitely a side effect of trying to make heavy vehicles handle well unless they add things like active swaybars, air suspension and adaptive dampers (Audi RS6 for example).
Old 06-03-2020, 01:27 PM   #96
Nick M3
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
E91 M-Sport was a good car. The 997TT falling on my lap put to bed any idea of holding it as my car. But it was a bit too small for being THE family car, a bit too slow for being my primary/fun car, and the crazy-good lease deal made the residual not all that attractive. I turned it in in as-new condition with only 18k miles.

It was a good car. A bit slow, too quiet, and forgettable interior were the primary gripes. But that car really showed what a great wagon the 3er is. Really wish they made an M. Would have absolutely bought that instead.
It'd be a lot easier to make an E91 M3 than a 6spd SL600.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 01:27 PM   #97
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
They are especially fond of larding up the high spec cars with ginormous wheels down here. Terrible.

And I lived with an e46 M3 and 19-inch wheels. How hard can an X3M with adaptive suspension ride? Particularly if you stay away from crazy big wheel sets.
Yeah the high spec cars do tend to have larger wheels - and it's super annoying. Adds cost, reduces comfort and handling, increases chance of damage. A lose/lose/lose as far as I'm concerned. And I honestly dont think they look better-- something about tiny rubber band tires on an SUV make it look odd imo. On a related note, I really wish black wheels would go away. So ugly.

BMW used to be praised for achieving perfect ride/handling compromises back in the e46 days-- plus a heavier vehicle necessitates stiffer suspension to get it to handle. Hopefully adaptive suspension addresses the issue.
Old 06-03-2020, 04:01 PM   #98
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
On a related note, I really wish black wheels would go away. So ugly.

I’ve got black wheels on 3 out of my 6 cars and love them ... we finally disagree on something
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 04:02 PM   #99
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M3 View Post
It'd be a lot easier to make an E91 M3 than a 6spd SL600.
FC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 05:04 PM   #100
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I’ve got black wheels on 3 out of my 6 cars and love them ... we finally disagree on something
I have orbit gray on my 2 and definitely wish they were just regular chrome.