carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 12-04-2019, 06:18 PM   #1
Alan
Carmudgeon

Another white car ...

Just ordered a 2020 Audi Q5 in white ... I was thinking of this board when my daughter said she wants this SUV in white ...

It will be interesting, while I have had a lot of new Audi's I never ordered one from the factory. They are so far behind bmw ... there is no tracking it, no owner involvement ... at least I have a great salesperson who I have known for many years, she is really on the ball and will give me updates.

While BMW gets you the car usually within 2 months it seems Audi is more like 3 to 4 months ...

This picture is obviously not the car but it does look like this ... same color and wheels ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	12555  
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 06:23 PM   #2
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Is it me or does that thing look stubby and chubby? Is the picture compressed horizontally?
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 08:05 PM   #3
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
Is it me or does that thing look stubby and chubby? Is the picture compressed horizontally?
Yeah probably ... just grabbed a quick pic ...

Edit. I should say it is possible ... I don’t know the design of the car I just know it drives beautifully, has a beautiful interior, is safe and is a nice car for my daughter.
Old 12-04-2019, 09:25 PM   #4
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
It looks like you grabbed a pic of a q3. A guy that works for me has a q5 3.0t. It drives really nicely. Enjoy it!
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 10:11 AM   #5
Alan
Carmudgeon

Just checked some others on the internet and am pretty sure that is a Q5 though in person it doesn’t appear quite so stubby if I recall correctly.
Old 12-05-2019, 10:41 AM   #6
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
congrats

why did you custom order? thought SUVs are pretty generic and can get off the lot.
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 01:56 PM   #7
robg
Carmudgeon

Nice. She will love it. Audis do drive really nicely. I think the q5 is the best of the 4 cylinder crossovers. What's the spec? Also curious why you had to custom order given that dealers tend to have quite a selection of Q5s.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 03:48 PM   #8
Alan
Carmudgeon

I thought it was strange too but the only 2020 white ext with black int they found that was close to the exact spec had dark wood trim instead of high glass gray trim and she thinks dark wood is for old men like me.

The 2020's just came out plus Rob of all people will appreciate this ... the current lease price for a $52k msrp is in the $700 range .

We are better off ordering it so when it comes in the lease should come in at hopefully a normal number, also it works out well anyway because her A4 lease is up in February which I can extend if needed.

BTW this is a strange one too ... I ordered the car with absolutely no deal in place, no lease price or purchase price. I do trust this dealer (Clyde is going to comment on this one) and I know they will do the right thing.

The deposit is refundable if I don't like the deal.
Old 12-05-2019, 04:04 PM   #9
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I thought it was strange too but the only 2020 white ext with black int they found that was close to the exact spec had dark wood trim instead of high glass gray trim and she thinks dark wood is for old men like me.

The 2020's just came out plus Rob of all people will appreciate this ... the current lease price for a $52k msrp is in the $700 range .

We are better off ordering it so when it comes in the lease should come in at hopefully a normal number, also it works out well anyway because her A4 lease is up in February which I can extend if needed.

BTW this is a strange one too ... I ordered the car with absolutely no deal in place, no lease price or purchase price. I do trust this dealer (Clyde is going to comment on this one) and I know they will do the right thing.

Congrats! BTW, every Audi Q-whatever is white down here.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 06:08 PM   #10
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post

Wow- that's crazy! I think that might even be S5 territory. Agree that you have some leverage in that you can always walk if they try and screw you when the car comes in. Doubtful, given by then there will be even more inventory of 2020 Q5s (and white on black is a favorite combo for dealer orders). Having done several BMW custom orders in the past, I got used to how common/easy it is with them. Sounds like it's still not a common practice with Audi (back in 97 I almost custom ordered an A4 but it was going to be some crazy long wait). Oh, and good to know that gray wood is considered less "old manish"-- that's how my RR is specced.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote