Old 10-02-2005, 09:05 PM   #3
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
a) I'm stupid
b) I'm lazy
c) I don't have an ipod

You pick.

A used 6-disk changer is about $150 on fanatics. What is the cheapest ipod solution that will allow me to use the steering wheel controls? My car isn't "ipod-ready".
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 10:35 PM   #4
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt
a) I'm stupid
b) I'm lazy
c) I don't have an ipod

You pick.

A used 6-disk changer is about $150 on fanatics. What is the cheapest ipod solution that will allow me to use the steering wheel controls? My car isn't "ipod-ready".

Let's see... Dension ICE Link for $199 & an iPod Nano for $199 new...

Since you're consideriing used, you could win this bid on ebay for the Dension - currently at $40:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Denison-icelink-...QQcmdZViewItem

And you could probably pick up a used iPod Mini for ~$100...

Would be close in price to a used changer, but you'd have better functionality.
Old 10-02-2005, 10:41 PM   #5
rumatt
Mugwump

Hmm. That's icelink 1.1 The latest is 2.0. Anyone know if the differences are substantial?

I'm also considering a used phatbox for $350. I'm told the integration with the wheel controls may be better, and I have no desire to have the ipod sitting in the cabin. I'd likely hide it in the trunk or something stupid.

EDIT: 1.1 doesn't display the song in the dash.
Old 10-02-2005, 10:58 PM   #6
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
You're right-- that is the older ICE Link... The current hardware for BMW is ICE Link Plus. Version 1 wasn't upgradeable, and I believe Version 1.1 is similar to Plus (where you can mix and match a cradle or butt-plug, but may not have the ability to display info on the screen.) BTW, the BMW firmware is what is now V2, but I don't think it will work on the 1.1 hardware...

Edit: This review talks about the differences: http://www.motoringfile.com/2004/11/...ice62link_plus

If you're willing to go to $350... I'd say go with a new ICE Link and find a used iPod.

I haven't used a phatbox -- price is just too high. But I've had my ICE Link for 6 weeks now and its great. The newest firmware has BMW on-screen display as an option (default is off), but once its on, its great -- buttons 1-5 select the first 5 playlists, and button 6 brings up a menu where you can search for a specific artist, other playlists, etc. RND button puts it in shuffle mode, etc.

As far as where to put it, you could put it in the sunglass cubby above the ashtray -- Dension sells a butt-plug as an alternative to the cradle. You could hook up the iPod, and close the door and it wouldn't be seen. Or you could get the Euro center console that replaces the cupholders and put it in there...
Old 10-02-2005, 11:04 PM   #7
rumatt
Mugwump

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB
buttons 1-5 select the first 5 playlists, and button 6 brings up a menu where you can search for a specific artist, other playlists, etc. RND button puts it in shuffle mode, etc.
Hmm, that sounds pretty good actually. Not quite like Phatbox's functionality, but livable.

Quote:
As far as where to put it, you could put it in the sunglass cubby above the ashtray
Why not just put it in the trunk? Rumor has it this is what Plaz does.

But if I'm just going to leave it in the trunk, a 20 GB phatbox for $350 seems to make more sense than an icelink + 4 GB ipod for $400.

Last edited by rumatt; 10-02-2005 at 11:10 PM.
Old 10-03-2005, 12:51 AM   #8
Terri Kennedy
There and back again

Carmudgeonly Ride: 2003 BMW 325xiT; looking for a new fun car
Quote:
But if I'm just going to leave it in the trunk, a 20 GB phatbox for $350 seems to make more sense than an icelink + 4 GB ipod for $400.
Also, you can now upgrade the hard disk in the PhatBox yourself - see http://www.phathack.com. I'm running 120GB drives in mine now.

Also, you could pick up the VW/Audi version of the PhatBox (on blow-out sale for $119 at dealers),a Blitzsafe adapter direct from Blitzsafe, and make up the cable yourself. That may or may nor represent a savings over the $350-used-BMW-PhatBox, but it is certainly more plentiful.

If you didn't want to deal with making the cable, changing the firmware, etc. I'd be glad to help you (particularly if it gets that Bentley off my desk ).
Terri Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 11:10 AM   #9
rumatt
Mugwump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Kennedy
particularly if it gets that Bentley off my desk

Quote:
Also, you could pick up the VW/Audi version of the PhatBox (on blow-out sale for $119 at dealers),a Blitzsafe adapter direct from Blitzsafe, and make up the cable yourself.
Hmmm, thanks for the offer to help.. This seems like a good option, assuming we don't fry your phatbox and end up with nothing in the end. Have you actually done this before (making your own cable )

Any idea how much the Blitzsafe adapter is? $100 maybe? I spent sometime looking at their site and can't find anything.

The 20GB phatbox for $350 had already sold BTW.

EDIT: one more reason I'm interested in either a 6-disk changer or a phatbox is that even if I had an IPOD, I wouldn't remove it from the car very often, if ever. Many people don't recommend this for IPOD's, saying that leaving them in a hot car isn't a good idea.
Old 10-03-2005, 11:26 AM   #10
Terri Kennedy
There and back again

Carmudgeonly Ride: 2003 BMW 325xiT; looking for a new fun car
Quote:
Hmmm, thanks for the offer to help.. This seems like a good option, assuming we don't fry your phatbox and end up with nothing in the end. Have you actually done this before (making your own cable )
I haven't made that particular cable, but I can easily get the parts needed to do so. Have you seen the rest of my setup (here)? Cables aren't a problem .
Quote:
Any idea how much the Blitzsafe adapter is? $100 maybe? I spent sometime looking at their site and can't find anything.
It is a BMW/ALP DMX V.1 with a minor modification.

Enfig.com has it for $99.99, as does Logjam. I may be able to get it for a better price if I go up to Blitzsafe and talk to Ira.
Quote:
The 20GB phatbox for $350 had already sold BTW.
Yup, they tend to get away pretty quickly.

I could sell you the VW/Audi PhatBox if you can't find one online. They come with 10GB drives by default, but we could put a larger one in.

Let's take further discussions to email, as it probably isn't interesting to the rest of the folks here...
Terri Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote