carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 05-11-2018, 10:21 AM   #21
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
I'm with you on the manufacturer part. But the dealer is marking them up more than just "a bit". A random dude on the internet is selling them for 30% cheaper and presumably still making a profit.

The dealer is not only getting the labor income, but raping him for $2300 of pure profit from the shocks as well - profiting from Audi selling parts that don't last. They're in this together.
Does Audi have something like CCA discount for parts? That's helped me a lot on the BMW side. Took a chunk of sting out of the LSD and the tires I ordered from the dealer. They basically matched TireRack's price on the Michelin all seasons I ordered after the discount was applied...
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 11:24 AM   #22
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
I'm with you on the manufacturer part. But the dealer is marking them up more than just "a bit". A random dude on the internet is selling them for 30% cheaper and presumably still making a profit.

The dealer is not only getting the labor income, but raping him for $2300 of pure profit from the shocks as well - profiting from Audi selling parts that don't last. They're in this together.
At a top line, I don't really disagree with you. A 33% dealer mark up on their cost for parts? It's a lot, but about what I'd expect from lugnuts to long blocks for the most inexpensive appliance cars to near-exotic cars from major nameplates. When the part price goes up, the mark up goes up in dollars. Yeah?

Even so, comparing what a dealer pays for a part to what a random internet dude pays may be a fair comparison. Or it may not. I don't have the information to know in this case. But, I do know that suppliers charge different customers different pricing for a variety of reasons.

Random internet dude says Delphi is the only source for those shocks. If true, do we know Delphi is charging random internet dude the same as Audi? Do we know the only difference between the shocks Delphi sells to Audi and random internet dude are that these went into this shipping box and those went in that one? Do we know that Audi doesn't have testing requirements on each shock and only those that pass get sold to Audi while ones that fail, but are still good enough to use get sold to random internet dudes at discounted prices? Do we know Delphi replaces defective units at no cost for both Audi and random internet dude?

And then Audi resells the parts to their dealers, presumably with some level of markup added.

It's a expensive part with a short lifespan on a super expensive car that generally don't get and aren't expected to rack up many miles. Sure, it's a racket, but this is what's been going on with these types of cars since long before any of us were buying our own cars. When you buy a car like that and then insist on having all work performed by the dealer and using only genuine Audi parts (even when there are better and cheaper alternatives), you've bought into playing your role in that racket.

Sure, it kind of blows, but meh.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 11:35 AM   #23
wdc330i
dogged

So, I guess you need to factor in that the dealer is also guaranteeing the part for a certain amount of time after the install...so there's some risk coverage on their part for that.
Old 05-11-2018, 11:41 AM   #24
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
So, I guess you need to factor in that the dealer is also guaranteeing the part for a certain amount of time after the install...so there's some risk coverage on their part for that.
That, too, I think.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 12:31 PM   #25
lip277
The old cranky SOB....

Carmudgeonly Ride: several cars... way too many....
When I took my parents 2001 E38 after they passed away... The CEL was on. In talking to the BMW mechanic in Monterey we used when I lived down there, he mentioned a few things to do.

One of them was to replace the mass air sensor.
The interesting thing is that the same engine is used in both BMW's and Range Rovers. Both use the same Bosch stuff. I bought the cheapest LR 'branded' mass air sensor for about only 60% of what that identical part was from the cheapest BMW branded source had it for.
Opening up the green box revealed the same identical part that was installed in the car from the factory - right down to the PN cast into the housing.

Parts are a commodity... VW / Audi / Porsche have (for a long time) shared many of the same parts amongst their cars. I have a friend who has Porsche's (older ones - water and air cooled) who make it a mission in life to see if he can get the 'cheaper' VW version of the same item his Porsche needs - for a substantial discount.

1970 2800CS - - 2001 740iL - - 2006 997.1 - - 2012 Escalade
1968 Mustang GT Convertible - - 2003 Ford F250 PSD - - 1985 728i
lip277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 02:04 PM   #26
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:

For whatever reason this really pisses me off. How can the stealer charge $8,000 for shocks that last 10k miles and get away with it.
Though that is the price originally quoted I would think they would come down if I get stuck paying for it ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post

OTOH, you buy your ticket and take the ride.

Agreed ... like I said before you want to play you gotta pay.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 05:34 PM   #27
Alan
Carmudgeon

I got great news ... the warranty company is covering all 4 struts the only thing I have to pay for is the alignment at a total cost of out of pocket of $200.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 05:39 PM   #28
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: X5 M50 / M550
Argh ... Major R8 issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF View Post
I got great news ... the warranty company is covering all 4 struts the only thing I have to pay for is the alignment at a total cost of out of pocket of $200.

Excellent! Should be good to go for another 10k miles! 😊
Old 05-11-2018, 06:00 PM   #29
wdc330i
dogged

Fantastic!
Old 05-11-2018, 08:39 PM   #30
clyde
Chief title editor

Sweet!

Team WTF?!