carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 01-11-2022, 12:43 PM   #51
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
Neighbor woman bought a Jeep eight or nine years ago and embarked upon an epic and public neverending midlife crisis story documented (although perhaps not quite in full) on her "Jeep Mamma blog.

Short version: I have not followed the details, but this is my understanding: Buying the Jeep was an early step at trying to things to find happiness and satisfaction in her life that has led to the end of her marriage, abandoning her kids with her exhusband (although I'm not 100% sure that all finalized) to go rock America with Jeep dude she met online, trying to make a living pulling out stuck/broke vehicles in the western states, going full Q, and more.

Good for her if she's happier now, but...
That's...something.
JST is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 12:49 PM   #52
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
That's...something.
The parts in the blog are only the parts that you can see. As I said, I try not to pay attention, but in as close-knit of a community as I live in, there are things you cannot avoid learning about.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 01:29 PM   #53
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Neighbor woman bought a Jeep eight or nine years ago and embarked upon an epic and public neverending midlife crisis story documented (although perhaps not quite in full) on her "Jeep Mamma blog.

Short version: I have not followed the details, but this is my understanding: Buying the Jeep was an early step at trying to things to find happiness and satisfaction in her life that has led to the end of her marriage, abandoning her kids with her exhusband (although I'm not 100% sure that all finalized) to go rock America with Jeep dude she met online, trying to make a living pulling out stuck/broke vehicles in the western states, going full Q, and more.

Good for her if she's happier now, but...
My wife has always wanted a wrangler...

robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 01:30 PM   #54
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post

wdc330i is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 02:04 PM   #55
JST

Quote:
The parts in the blog are only the parts that you can see. As I said, I try not to pay attention, but in as close-knit of a community as I live in, there are things you cannot avoid learning about.
I mean, I think we as a society do an incredibly poor job of creating time and space for women to forge identities outside of motherhood. Not to defend any of the choices this woman made, but her origin story is full of frustrations I hear from a lot of women. Maybe nearly everyone willing to talk to me about it.

That's much less true for men, though the midlife crisis trope suggests that men confront their own set of social pressures and expectations in this regard.

Which, again, isn't excusing anything that happened here.
JST is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 02:06 PM   #56
dan
redefined

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post

my fiance too. I am fairly sure we will buy one at some point
Old 01-11-2022, 02:14 PM   #57
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan View Post
you should get a bronco since you have that offroad park in your backyard
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 02:36 PM   #58
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan View Post
I've been wanting one for well over a decade. It's just hard to justify. Maybe when the kids start driving I could illogically convince myself into thinking one would make sense as an extra vehicle.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 03:23 PM   #59
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
I've been wanting one for well over a decade. It's just hard to justify. Maybe when the kids start driving I could illogically convince myself into thinking one would make sense as an extra vehicle.
Yes. I have gone through this exercise myself. Because, while fun to have (maybe?), I realize I would hate it as my ONLY vehicle. I wouldn't want it for a highway trip car either, so really pretty useless in my life. And, theoretically pretty dangerous for my teen son to have access to...
wdc330i is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 04:01 PM   #60
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
Yes. I have gone through this exercise myself. Because, while fun to have (maybe?), I realize I would hate it as my ONLY vehicle. I wouldn't want it for a highway trip car either, so really pretty useless in my life. And, theoretically pretty dangerous for my teen son to have access to...
They look cool and sometimes I think about it, but everytime i've driven one I've hated every minute of it. Steering feels like a mop in a bucket, uncomfortable seats, loud, wanders all over the place on the highway.... just kind of miserable imo. It might be good if you had a vacation house (like a ski house) and needed to drive a few miles to get to the mountain/lake/etc.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote