carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 10-21-2020, 02:46 PM   #11
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
That thing is not my cup of tea, but I like the crabwalk.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 06:03 PM   #12
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Let’s see if they can deliver, and what they do about an 800V fast charge network.
Good point... And its going to be confusing. Just one example -- there was an Electrify America charging station near my house in Atlanta, so I took a visit. Overall, it has 10 units, each with 2 connectors -- so you can charge 20 vehicles at a time. But then it gets complicated:
  • 1 unit has is a combo CCS / CHAdeMO -- with the CCS connector delivering 150kW and the CHAdeMO capped at 50kW (a common cap on CHAdeMO...)
  • 7 units are 150kW CCS
  • 2 units are 350kW CCS

While you can connect 2 cars to each of those chargers, I'm pretty certain that the output rating is the max output, and that the total is shared between cars (Tesla does this at their "regular" Superchargers also -- the first car to plug in gets max output, if another car comes in, it will get at least 10% of the power, then as the first car ramps down its charge, the 2nd car ramps up in ~10% increments)...

To compare, Tesla has 3 outputs:[list][*]Urban supercharger: 72kW. But not shared -- each car can get up to 72kW[*]V2 Superchargers: These output up to 145kW. [*]V3 Superchargers: These output up to 250kW.

Many V2 sites have also been updated to V3...
Old 10-22-2020, 06:06 PM   #13
ZBB
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post
It is just like the cybertruck, obnoxious status symbol to driver around on the street

At least Rivian is working on such things as electric jerry cans to achieve long distance off-grid possibilities .
Has anyone been watching Long Way Up on Apple TV+?

It was filmed in fall 2019, but they have 2 Rivian prototypes along with 2 electric Harley prototypes being used for the trip (Argentina to LA...).

Worth a watch -- and I think I'm going to need to go visit Rivian once travel resumes for work...
Old 10-22-2020, 06:30 PM   #14
Nick M3
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMR View Post
They went the other extreme with this.
Honestly... For what they are offering, it seems pretty "reasonable." What else can you buy in the near-ish term that's anything like this? It's a lot better looking than the cybertruck, a lot more capable, and also utterly unlike it.

It's clearly being marketed as a halo car.

Also, I feel pretty confident that this is actually intended to lead the introduction of electric work vehicles. Which, it's worth noting, don't cost *that* much less than this thing. A midrange 2500HD with the diesel is ~$55-60k.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 08:41 PM   #15
ZBB
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M3 View Post
Also, I feel pretty confident that this is actually intended to lead the introduction of electric work vehicles. Which, it's worth noting, don't cost *that* much less than this thing. A midrange 2500HD with the diesel is ~$55-60k.
MSRP after fleet discounts will need to get down to $30-35ish to make sense for large fleets though. While we do have some HDs equipped for off road use, SD trucks are much more common. And the beds often have lots of upfit added (tool chests, tank holders, plated tailgates, etc.)

Once those are avail, we’ll be ordering a few thousand...