carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 10-05-2020, 03:29 PM   #1
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Non Ninja (non 1LE) ZL1 impressions

This car is unlike anything I have ever owned or driven. The closest thing would be the sound and fury of the C5 Z06 or C6 Z06 at WOT, but less squirrelly on its rear haunches.

Brakes. Awesome. Epic good. Great pedal feel. Especially for a lead sled this heavy.

What is notable to me is how different the 1SS base (soft) suspension is compared to the MRC suspension of the ZL1. There are moments when it’s easy to catch the 1SS base suspension off-guard. And the car can be unsettled or float and the rear end is not happy and putting power down efficiently doesn’t happen. I’ve never had MRC before, so it’s interesting how it works. Now I wish I had the 1LE setup.....but I digress. Maybe I’ll drive a 1LE just to see what I’m missing.

Power. I can only give comparisons to the LS6, LS7 and the LT1. And maybe the M64 Turbo and 987.2 DI flat six. But this engine is the star of the show. It feels more special just because it’s so absurd. One question I have, which is for broader discussion, is why so many OEMs use supercharging? I prefer MB’s approach with their AMG 4.0 V8tt in the AMG GT, but in execution, who the f*ck cares? This motor screams. It’s terrible for fuel consumption, although on the highway, I can easily attain 18mpg on light throttle application.

This car feels special. Whereas the SS feels awesome and outrageous, the ZL1 is a cariacature of a car that makes me laugh so hard. Completely unnecessary, but that’s most of the cars I’ve owned. The shifting is great —better than the SS. Am I imagining that? It should be the same transmission. The clutch feels robust and engagement point is easy-peasy. The real moment I knew I had oodles of power is in 6th gear. In the SS, 6th gear is like jogging with 80lbs of weight in your rucksack. You have to generally downshift to get the motor spooled up for passing. Here? Bury the throttle and the car responds and accelerates like SpaceX.

Under no circumstance does the car have steering feel. You never know what the front tires are doing. The steering feel is numb. And it is like steering a Jersey class battleship. There’s nothing nimble or deft about this car. 3900lbs feels like 4500lbs. At some moments, it’s Like dinner with people you hate from work —but you’re traveling together, so why not? But the exhaust note is glorious (still not as fun as an MB AMG turbo V8 or Mustang GT350) and can snap you out of those buzz killer complaints.

It is a fascinating car. It sounds ridiculous to say it, but if this is my new normal, that’s really bad as a precedent. I guess I’d have to get the triple motor Tesla to match this level of acceleration, maybe.

Lastly —the 987 drives SO much better. For fluidity and tactile feedback.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 03:32 PM   #2
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Great write-up. Enjoy!

Re: forced induction. Many countries around the world tax displacement; and often, they don't correct for turbo or super-charging. Even if the US is immune from this, OEM's that have to build for world markets always have smaller displacements targeted.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote