carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 10-12-2020, 10:27 AM   #371
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
I guess that did it. Purchase pending.
If Carvana is moving it to another location for someone, is it listed as purchase pending? or unavailable?

Just curious if there is a difference or how they treat a vehicle move
Old 10-12-2020, 07:47 PM   #372
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kognito View Post
This is sitting at my local GM dealer.

I already have an appointment Tuesday for a brake recall on my GMC, will see if I can take it for a test drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
Why not?
Have fun. Not a car I’d have any interest in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kognito View Post
If Carvana is moving it to another location for someone, is it listed as purchase pending? or unavailable?

Just curious if there is a difference or how they treat a vehicle move
Carvana is not like Carmax in that you don’t get to see or test drive cars before buying them. You buy it and if you don’t like it, you can “return” it in exchange for another car.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 08:04 AM   #373
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Quote:
Have fun. Not a car I’d have any interest in.

I was very sure it wasn't what you are looking for. I just want to "try" the 6.2 liter with a real transmission. I've sat in the current style Camaro, and visibility for someone my height really sucks.

The 4.4 in my Audi S4 is the largest V8 I have owned with a stick. The 6.2 sounds great, I just want to experience it
Old 10-13-2020, 08:06 AM   #374
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Carvana is not like Carmax in that you don’t get to see or test drive cars before buying them. You buy it and if you don’t like it, you can “return” it in exchange for another car.
I would not buy a house that way, and I would not buy a car that way. But I am likely not their target audience....
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 10:42 PM   #375
clyde
Chief title editor

I drove a friend’s 2020 1SS 1LE this afternoon. First time I’ve driven one since February. We’ve been talking about me buying it, but it’s been an odd dance. It’s a color that’s okay, but not one of my first choice colors. He’s not motivated to sell it and I’m not feeling as subjectively eager to buy it as I objectively should be.

It felt like home, being inside it. Power is...something. The noises are great. The car feels amazing.

And...I don’t know.

This guy also has a C7GS. As you may recall, hats another car I’ve thought about a bit. He gave me some insights into living with one that didn’t really sway me one way or the other.

He’s going to order a Mach 1 Mustang with Handling Pack when they start taking orders in January and that will replace the 1SS 1LE. That’s another car I’m interested in, but they won’t be available until late spring.

Earlier today, I had hoped At this point in the evening we would have worked out plan on how to get to the end, but nope. Back to not being sure what I want to do. Very frustrated.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 10-25-2020, 07:57 AM   #376
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
You don't let yourself make an emotional decision (I'm like you in this way). There is a lot of calculation and auto-x consideration going on, and then resale values, and then if you had a target car to buy, the exact config, color and price. Underneath, there are emotions, there must be. But you have so overthought this, (intentionally?), that you cannot even clearly identify your feelings.

Reading your last sentence... What are you frustrated by? This is perseveration to the level of therapy.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 08:33 AM   #377
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:
I drove a friend’s 2020 1SS 1LE this afternoon. First time I’ve driven one since February. We’ve been talking about me buying it, but it’s been an odd dance. It’s a color that’s okay, but not one of my first choice colors. He’s not motivated to sell it and I’m not feeling as subjectively eager to buy it as I objectively should be.

It felt like home, being inside it. Power is...something. The noises are great. The car feels amazing.

And...I don’t know.

This guy also has a C7GS. As you may recall, hats another car I’ve thought about a bit. He gave me some insights into living with one that didn’t really sway me one way or the other.

He’s going to order a Mach 1 Mustang with Handling Pack when they start taking orders in January and that will replace the 1SS 1LE. That’s another car I’m interested in, but they won’t be available until late spring.

Earlier today, I had hoped At this point in the evening we would have worked out plan on how to get to the end, but nope. Back to not being sure what I want to do. Very frustrated.
I think you do start building up the perfect next car in your head, and if something that isn’t quite hitting all of those points comes along then you try to reason your way into it. But your heart lags behind.

Also, I just think we have all had some many cars at this point, it feels almost anti-climactic to actually pull the trigger on the next one. And yet, in some way, it would be a relief!

I don’t know about you, but I’m just way pickier than I was in the past. I have a better idea of the features I want in a car and the ones that would bug me if I had to do without them.
Old 10-25-2020, 04:13 PM   #378
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
You don't let yourself make an emotional decision (I'm like you in this way). There is a lot of calculation and auto-x consideration going on, and then resale values, and then if you had a target car to buy, the exact config, color and price. Underneath, there are emotions, there must be. But you have so overthought this, (intentionally?), that you cannot even clearly identify your feelings.

Reading your last sentence... What are you frustrated by? This is perseveration to the level of therapy.
Definitely overthought. Intentionally? I don’t think so, but certainly can’t rule out subconscious self-sabotage at this point.

It’s totally an emotional purchase, but emotions haven’t driven a “fuck it, let’s end this shit,” outcome. Yet.

I don’t if resale directly matters in the equation, but “value” definitely does. That’s a big stumbling block right now when pricing (new and used) is ~15% higher than a year ago and, my best guess, probably 10-20% higher than what we’ll see in a few short months.

I’m a bit more frugal with my car dollars than some of you. Striking a deal I feel good about is a major part of buying a car for me. When I bought the Armada in 2006, I was looking for a specific color/option/year/mileage config and it took a while to find one..and it was at Carmax. So, it was priced a few thousand more than it would have been anywhere else. I bought it anyway and the fact I spent more “than I should have” still bothers me 14 years later even though I needed to get it done and I did a fantastic job rationalizing at the time.

The notion that I can’t clearly figure out what I want because of the overthinking is apt.

Quote:
I think you do start building up the perfect next car in your head, and if something that isn’t quite hitting all of those points comes along then you try to reason your way into it. But your heart lags behind.

Also, I just think we have all had some many cars at this point, it feels almost anti-climactic to actually pull the trigger on the next one. And yet, in some way, it would be a relief!

I don’t know about you, but I’m just way pickier than I was in the past. I have a better idea of the features I want in a car and the ones that would bug me if I had to do without them.
I don’t think I’m building up any car to be the perfect car that nothing can live up to it so much as my target may not quite exist in the cost-time-availability continuum.

I’m kind of tryin to talk myself into an M2C, but I know as much as I may enjoy it for what it is, it’s not at all what I want.

I’m just ready to no longer be obsessed with this and would dig moving on to thinking about the car that will come after this one.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 10-25-2020, 06:11 PM   #379
wdc330i
dogged

It might be easier to find a decent M3C...Did you see the one I posted for JST At the Dulles CarMax? It’s pricey, but cool colors!
Old 10-25-2020, 07:10 PM   #380
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
It might be easier to find a decent M3C...Did you see the one I posted for JST At the Dulles CarMax? It’s pricey, but cool colors!
You mean M2C, right?

I saw what you posted and yeah, it’s a lot of money for a car I don’t really want in the most hideous color I’ve ever seen on a car (sorry, but true), with wheels that scream “don’t look at us! Check out how ugly the thing is we’re attached to!”

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?