carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 10-20-2020, 06:12 PM   #251
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M3 View Post
I will stand by my comment that it's not a fun car, but it's a good package.
I think you and Alan are on very different meanings of fun. It's not fun to drive for you because it doesn't have the feel of well-kept original or better-than-original vintage bmw's. He says 'fun' in the sense that no it's not his R8 or 991S but it's ok to bounce around in crap LI traffic.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 06:40 PM   #252
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
I will stand by my comment that it's not a fun car
Tell that to my daughter's LMAO completely kidding, yeah it is a good package

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
I think you and Alan are on very different meanings of fun. It's not fun to drive for you because it doesn't have the feel of well-kept original or better-than-original vintage bmw's. He says 'fun' in the sense that no it's not his R8 or 991S but it's ok to bounce around in crap LI traffic.
Exactly .

BTW I can totally appreciate Nick's feel on cars and I would love to drive his collection though I don't know if he would let me

One other BTW you know the R8's history but the Cayman that replaced it is a lot of fun !!!
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 10:25 PM   #253
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
One other BTW you know the R8's history but the Cayman that replaced it is a lot of fun !!!
I am beginning to have trouble keeping up with who has what. Senior moment?

Funny I got what you meant about 'fun'. Haven't even met you in person.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 10:09 AM   #254
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Is there any reason to believe the Q5 would be more fun to drive than an A4 Avant? I can't really imagine it.

They are obviously a little cheaper, for some reason....
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 10:13 AM   #255
Nick M3
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
Is there any reason to believe the Q5 would be more fun to drive than an A4 Avant? I can't really imagine it.

They are obviously a little cheaper, for some reason....
Probably not, although given that the regular A4 isn't *that* much better than the Q5, I wonder how much the allrad treatment hurts it?
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 10:19 AM   #256
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:
Probably not, although given that the regular A4 isn't *that* much better than the Q5, I wonder how much the allrad treatment hurts it?
It's been awhile since I drove an Allroad and an A3 later on, but I remember them as decently nimble and fun. I also recall that the last iteration of the A6 wagon just felt big and unfun.

I have never driven an Audi SUV, but I can't imagine that a higher center of gravity would add anything at all, other than bulk and body roll. More space, I guess...

Right now, I'm setting my sights on the A4 wagon, as a new 2021 is headed to the dealership near me. Since I've been building the Macan S and cruising them at local dealers, the wagon is feeling like a bargain now. Reality distortion field!
Old 10-22-2020, 10:23 AM   #257
Nick M3
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
Yeah, bombing around in traffic because you don't really care is fun. But I wouldn't attribute that to the vehicle really. I enjoy that in my truck. But it's not because the truck is dynamic or fun to drive.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 11:17 AM   #258
Alan
Carmudgeon

I prefer the A4 over the Q5 for the only reason I like sedans better than SUV's, both overall are very good cars. The last Gen Q5 was terrible ...

I took the A4 on a couple of Road trips (From NY to Florida (though cheated and used the auto train) and also drove it to my daughters College and back (4 hours each way), it was an excellent car, I think the engine gives it plenty of power and it holds the road beautifully, I never felt any fatigue either.

The A3 was a great fun car, I don't know if you remember my son had one so I had a lot of seat time in it, the problem with the A3 is it needs to be updated especially the interior and the car overall feels a little too small.

The Macan S my sister had at first I thought was great but after some seat time in it I found it was 'ok', I also had them as loaners and was disappointed by the engine's power (had both a 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder) ... maybe the GTS addresses this

I always wanted to love the Macan but just felt it was expensive for what it is, there are other choices out there ...

If you don't like the Q5 they make an SQ5, my brother had one, it was a great car with a very good engine and with the air suspension it has a great ride.

Lot's of good choices out there WDC ... this is going to be a tough decision on your part.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 12:03 PM   #259
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:
I prefer the A4 over the Q5 for the only reason I like sedans better than SUV's, both overall are very good cars. The last Gen Q5 was terrible ...

I took the A4 on a couple of Road trips (From NY to Florida (though cheated and used the auto train) and also drove it to my daughters College and back (4 hours each way), it was an excellent car, I think the engine gives it plenty of power and it holds the road beautifully, I never felt any fatigue either.

The A3 was a great fun car, I don't know if you remember my son had one so I had a lot of seat time in it, the problem with the A3 is it needs to be updated especially the interior and the car overall feels a little too small.

The Macan S my sister had at first I thought was great but after some seat time in it I found it was 'ok', I also had them as loaners and was disappointed by the engine's power (had both a 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder) ... maybe the GTS addresses this

I always wanted to love the Macan but just felt it was expensive for what it is, there are other choices out there ...

If you don't like the Q5 they make an SQ5, my brother had one, it was a great car with a very good engine and with the air suspension it has a great ride.

Lot's of good choices out there WDC ... this is going to be a tough decision on your part.
Good perspectives. Thanks, Alan.

There are indeed lots of options--alas not the ones I would really like: M3 Touring or at least a 340i Touring (maybe with AWD).

There is a very well optioned Macan GTS coming to my local dealer. But, wow, that's real money. It's about $30k more asking that the A4 wagon would be. I'm just not sure it's worth that.

That delta endows keeping my 2, if I want....
Old 10-22-2020, 07:54 PM   #260
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:

I've never driven one but the current SQ5 seems like an intriguing package. I like that has an air suspension and likely a better ride than the other fast compact SUVs. One "fun" thing I find about our current SUV is the way you can just blast over potholes, bad roads, etc without it being sloppy in corners. I suspect the SQ5 might have that same kind of vibe.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote