carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 09-23-2020, 09:26 AM   #1
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Front, hood, or no clear bra on M3?

Of course it's pretty stupid for me to have waited this long to even consider it, but my ankle injury and other things got in the way when the car first arrived in the US.

I'm wondering if I should do a front-end wrap (hood+bumper+front quarter panels), just the hood, or nothing at all.

Currently the hood is in excellent shape except for a couple of tiny stone chips I can easily fix. Quarter panels in similar or even better shape. The bumper has a coupe of larger ship-like blemishes and a small scuff (~1" square at the very bottom corner right in front of the driver's wheel. I'm thinking of touching it up myself and hope for the best.

Par of me thinks maybe I should let the front bumper be and repaint it when it gets bad enough. The hood alone should be so easy to do I could even try it myself. There are no cuts at all. But maybe I should also protect the quarter panels, at which point, might as well do it all, no?

What are your thoughts on what if anything to clear bra?
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 09:28 AM   #2
dan
redefined

go naked
Old 09-23-2020, 09:52 AM   #3
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
I would fix the stone chips and wrap it. The clearbra materials just keep getting better and better and it really beats having stuff re-painted or constantly touching up stone chips.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 10:21 AM   #4
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
I would fix the stone chips and wrap it. The clearbra materials just keep getting better and better and it really beats having stuff re-painted or constantly touching up stone chips.
You think I should do whole front end plus mirrors?
Old 09-23-2020, 10:29 AM   #5
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
Of course it's pretty stupid for me to have waited this long to even consider it, but my ankle injury and other things got in the way when the car first arrived in the US.

I'm wondering if I should do a front-end wrap (hood+bumper+front quarter panels), just the hood, or nothing at all.

Currently the hood is in excellent shape except for a couple of tiny stone chips I can easily fix. Quarter panels in similar or even better shape. The bumper has a coupe of larger ship-like blemishes and a small scuff (~1" square at the very bottom corner right in front of the driver's wheel. I'm thinking of touching it up myself and hope for the best.

Par of me thinks maybe I should let the front bumper be and repaint it when it gets bad enough. The hood alone should be so easy to do I could even try it myself. There are no cuts at all. But maybe I should also protect the quarter panels, at which point, might as well do it all, no?

What are your thoughts on what if anything to clear bra?

One other thing to consider is the rear fender flares. After 36K miles mine are sandblasted with chips; there's a small amount of plastic protector on the leading edge, but it's not big enough. If I could own the car from new I would have put something more on those.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 10:41 AM   #6
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
One other thing to consider is the rear fender flares. After 36K miles mine are sandblasted with chips; there's a small amount of plastic protector on the leading edge, but it's not big enough. If I could own the car from new I would have put something more on those.
Yep, I agree. Rear fender leading edges, hood, front bumper, mirrors, and ideally the leading edge of the rear bumper / trailing edge of the front fenders.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 10:58 AM   #7
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Yes, I meant to add that too.
Old 09-23-2020, 07:35 PM   #8
Nick M3
Relic

For what its worth, Dr. Colorchip, but polish the excess off rather than use the wiping compound works really well.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote