carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 10-29-2017, 12:59 AM   #51
3LOU5
Slacker Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF View Post
I would go for the Miata any day over the S2000 .. I had a low mileage perfect S2000 which I bought online and I couldn’t wait for the title to come in the mail so I could get rid of it.

Why did you hate it so much ??
2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
2018 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited - hers
2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers (SOLD 02/29/20)
2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
2007 Reinell 186 FNS - the dog's
1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S !
3LOU5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 07:53 AM   #52
JST

You know how you drive some cars and you’re impressed by the effortless power they make and their smooth sense of refinement?

The S2000 is the opposite of that.

Some people really love them, but it’s a very particular taste; kind of like a really heavily hopped IPA.

I can’t stand either one, but that’s personal preference.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 09:57 AM   #53
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Sounds like I would hate it the s2k. I spoke smooth power too, not peaky.

With the disclaimer that I've never driven the the s2k, put me firmly in the Miata camp.

I liked the ND a lot. I just wished the seat would go down a few more inches.. To save weight they removed the seat height adjustment. The seat goes up as you move forward, assuming that short legs = short torso. If the line they picked doesn't work for you, too bad.

I wonder if there's an aftermarket solution for this yet. Even if it involved removing the seat and installing different rails that would have been fine. But it's silly to ride around in a non-ideal driving position, knowing there's plenty of space down there for you to be lower... but you aren't allowed to use it because you don't match the model of the average human body they created.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 11:19 AM   #54
3LOU5
Slacker Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
You know how you drive some cars and you’re impressed by the effortless power they make and their smooth sense of refinement?

The S2000 is the opposite of that.

Some people really love them, but it’s a very particular taste; kind of like a really heavily hopped IPA.

I can’t stand either one, but that’s personal preference.
Indeed, I am more inclined to enjoy a car that has a broad powerband. But I'm wondering if I would somehow overlook the engine's perkiness because the car is vastly different from all the other cars I own.
Old 10-29-2017, 11:21 AM   #55
3LOU5
Slacker Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
Sounds like I would hate it the s2k. I spoke smooth power too, not peaky.

With the disclaimer that I've never driven the the s2k, put me firmly in the Miata camp.

I liked the ND a lot. I just wished the seat would go down a few more inches.. To save weight they removed the seat height adjustment. The seat goes up as you move forward, assuming that short legs = short torso. If the line they picked doesn't work for you, too bad.

I wonder if there's an aftermarket solution for this yet. Even if it involved removing the seat and installing different rails that would have been fine. But it's silly to ride around in a non-ideal driving position, knowing there's plenty of space down there for you to be lower... but you aren't allowed to use it because you don't match the model of the average human body they created.
Well, I'm on the short side, so I'm hoping that the line that designed into the seat will work for me.
Old 10-29-2017, 11:38 AM   #56
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3LOU5 View Post
Why did you hate it so much ??
I found the car was so noisy all of the time and it was not a nice noise, it was irritating ... it didn’t matter if you were driving calmly or getting on it, the sounds weren’t good it didn’t matter if the top was up or down in fact if I think about it, it was more irritating with the top up and when the top was down the wind would hit me in the back middle of my head. It was just strange how much I couldn’t stand this car.

When I sold it the person who bought it was from Canada and had like a crazy day long drive home. When I called him to see how things went I was expecting him to tell me he hated the car but surprising he loved it

If I spent 20 minutes in that car I was tortured and this guy who was bigger then me physically spent an entire day in it... oh I forgot to mention the car felt too small also.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 12:14 PM   #57
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3LOU5 View Post
Indeed, I am more inclined to enjoy a car that has a broad powerband. But I'm wondering if I would somehow overlook the engine's perkiness because the car is vastly different from all the other cars I own.
"Peaky" isn't quite the right word. The powerband is actually pretty broad, since the engine redlines in the stratosphere. It's more "frenetic." To use the power you have to rev it. A lot. And unlike the RX-8, which also has to be revved to hell and gone, the S2000 does not let you forget that you are revving it. It makes that very, very clear.

Like AF says, it's loud. Whether you like the character of the noise is really the deciding factor between whether you find the car endearing or whether you find it unendurable.

It's too bad, because I quite like the rest of the package. It's one of the better looking cars built in the past 20 years, imo, and the shifter and the handling are very precise.

Honestly, what it needs? An LS swap.

EDIT: I am not the first to think of this:

http://www.importmuscle.com/
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 01:07 PM   #58
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
"Peaky" isn't quite the right word. The powerband is actually pretty broad, since the engine redlines in the stratosphere. It's more "frenetic." To use the power you have to rev it. A lot. And unlike the RX-8, which also has to be revved to hell and gone, the S2000 does not let you forget that you are revving it. It makes that very, very clear.

Like AF says, it's loud. Whether you like the character of the noise is really the deciding factor between whether you find the car endearing or whether you find it unendurable.

It's too bad, because I quite like the rest of the package. It's one of the better looking cars built in the past 20 years, imo, and the shifter and the handling are very precise.

Honestly, what it needs? An LS swap.

EDIT: I am not the first to think of this:

http://www.importmuscle.com/
It’s because you have to “VTEC dat shit, yo!” to get it to move. And when it rolls over on VTEC, it’s almost sorta like turbo boost finally coming on way back when. But not really. Not sure how to describe it in other terms that are relatable.

The S2K is also very tight and spartan inside compared to all Miatas. The Miata is much more livable car for people that don’t want to pretend they’re F1 drivers while sitting at traffic lights, navigating mall parking garages, etc.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 04:22 PM   #59
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
While neither the s2000 nor the miata have the torque, comfort and german feel of a boxster, I love one and hate the other. Every time I tried one, I have been disappointed in miatas (have tried NA's, multiple NC's, no NB or ND). They fell apart over bumpy turns, engine made noises but car didn't move. I give them good shift action.

s2000 is like an e46 m3 in some ways. Less cylinders, less weight, honda build quality.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 06:23 PM   #60
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
I agree with the E46 M3 comparison. Both engines sound kind of like they're destroying themselves, and both are really evil handling from the factory.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote