carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 08-24-2017, 04:22 PM   #31
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
That's a thought that occurred to me yesterday as I was let down by the LX470. OTOH, if the top Toyota is not that great... Only the slightly smaller size might save the 4runner.

The 4runner needs to be chosen carefully. Locked 4wd systems are not what I need. So the pickup/Tacoma's will also not work. Low range is a nicety, but what I really need is a good/AWD center differential and ideally a rear differential (like the S4 set-up but with ground clearance). Essentially what FC needed without the 3rd row.

Some 4runner's have that. Almost all are v6. The rare v8 4runners? Good luck finding one. Seems to be much easier to find used Euro-luxury goods rather than Honda/Toyota fare and when they are used, they have been heavily used and still pricey.
are the used 4-runner prices not eye watering high too?
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 04:56 PM   #32
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
You know what has decent power and handling and a solid AWD system? The X5.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 05:19 PM   #33
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
2010+ : The base/HSE trim V8 gets far stronger but has real issues reported in the forums. Same with the supercharged. The only way to be safe with the 5.0 engine is to get a last MY LR4 like FC.
Curious as to what problems you have read about. I know the water pump is a dodgy item. Beyond that there is the very rare chain tensioner issue, but like you said, I think later V8's are deemed more reliable.

Another thing to consider is that many people suggest much more frequent drivetrain fluid changes than specified (i.e. tranny fluid change at 50k miles not 100k or whatever they recommend).
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 05:21 PM   #34
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
X5? You're joking, right?

Shortest ownership ever. Worst car I've ever owned. They are highly option dependent. Mine didn't have the right seats or the suspension, but I bet it will still have sucked. Remember, I've had several xdrive cars. It's an also-ran system from POV. Good enough for midlantic maybe, but not for my use.

Regular A4 or any longitudinal quattro is far better than xdrive [for me] and a decent center diff plus a rear diff would be best. Range Rover, S4, JGC with right options, maybe a few others.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 05:24 PM   #35
equ
Alphanumeric

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
Curious as to what problems you have read about. I know the water pump is a dodgy item. Beyond that there is the very rare chain tensioner issue, but like you said, I think later V8's are deemed more reliable.
Your V8 is fine as you researched. It is not on any RR, as they ended in 2012.

The ones that I'm looking at $25k the 5.0 issue seems to be like IMS. Multiple people on forums have lost engines, but then so was IMS, a small percentage in the real world. Anyway, there are few things I like better about the 07-09's, especially price. There is a RR buyer's guide book out there detailing the problems.

From my POV, your car, late 2013 with rear diff/spare is very hard to find, you did well.
Old 08-24-2017, 05:27 PM   #36
JST

Quote:
Your V8 is fine as you researched. It is not on any RR, as they ended in 2012.

The ones that I'm looking at $25k the 5.0 issue seems to be like IMS. Multiple people on forums have lost engines, but then so was IMS, a small percentage in the real world. Anyway, there are few things I like better about the 07-09's, especially price. There is a RR buyer's guide book out there detailing the problems.

From my POV, your car, late 2013 with rear diff/spare is very hard to find, you did well.
Remind me why a V8 Grand Cherokee is out?
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 05:40 PM   #37
bren
lawn boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Remind me why a V8 Grand Cherokee is out?
The sightlines take some getting used to, and it's far from "sporty". A guy who thinks the X5 is too trucky would be over it in about an hour. Never mind his adventures over the Rubicon would surely scratch the paint or dent the rockers.
Old 08-24-2017, 06:09 PM   #38
equ
Alphanumeric

The v8 JGC is not out, I haven't driven one. I'm less attracted to them than the full-sized RR but I'm less attracted to the RR sport as well. Between the JGC and the RR Sport, I think I'll take the JGC, if the hemi is what I think it is. If you look at truedelta or consumer reports, while not as bad as old Land Rover's, they are not paragons of reliability either.

I don't need any Rubicon or really any 'true' 4x4. I need AWD so I can do 45mph on a snowy highway.

I need clearance. I'm tired of buying front bumpers and spoilers and having them painted. We even got lucky last year as most of that accrued on the TDI that went to the buyback. Still, the f10 got its fair share, the front bumper has ice damage. We get snow piles that turn to ice, I park on the street a lot.

The rear diff part? Yeah that's sauce.

Xdrive? Puh-leeze. I've gotten stuck on a snowy/icy pile with my 335i xdrive, not high centered, just spinning two diagonal wheels. With pilot alpin pa4 snow tires!!!

I couldn't park, left the spot and a FWD mini with all-seasons parked right in (size helped) but yeah xdrive grip is subpar and that's the day I decided to sell the 335.
Old 08-24-2017, 06:19 PM   #39
bren
lawn boy

Quote:
Xdrive? Puh-leeze. I've gotten stuck on a snowy/icy pile with my 335i xdrive, not high centered, just spinning two diagonal wheels. With pilot alpin pa4 snow tires!!!

I couldn't park, left the spot and a FWD mini with all-seasons parked right in (size helped) but yeah xdrive grip is subpar and that's the day I decided to sell the 335.
Reminds me of this guy.
Old 08-24-2017, 06:24 PM   #40
equ
Alphanumeric

How can I forget that one? Hopefully I was less angry and less spinning but yeah. It's JGC for chrissakes...

I tried all levels of traction/DTC as well. Fully on, fully off, half on.

I've seen British (biased?) reviews of JGC's that say that it doesn't have the grip/traction of LR/RR. I'm not going to go mudding but it may be a concern.

The above scenario hits me a few times a winter and if I can park on piles, it opens up so many more spots that I am mobile as opposed to not. JGC's have levels of center & rear diff as well. Quadra this that, all that stuff that I'll have to figure out.