carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 08-31-2020, 02:57 PM   #11
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3LOU5 View Post
Springsteen doesn't strike me as a "car guy" for some odd reason.

And I wonder why Southside doesn't have a driver's license. My guess is that he got popped one too many times with DUI charges and after a successful music career, decided to hire people to drive him around.

I've only watched "Eddie and the Cruisers" once, and didn't realize he was part of the cast.
Johnny was the technical advisor to the film John Lyons is listed in the credits. The Jukes rehearsal gear was used all though the movie. Part of the filming also included a few songs the Jukes played at a concert in Westchester NY (the old Dick Clark Premier theater, filming was done right after a regular Jukes concert, whole thing ended up on the cutting room floor)

Johnny never had a license to lose . . . he told me he never had an interest in driving. I learned a lot about wine while driving him around. He considered himself a wine connoisseur, and taught me a lot. He also read like crazy! 10-20 books a week back then. I used to drive him to an old book store in lower Manhattan that sold books by the pound.

He would also read while I drove. I could never do that . . . trying to read while riding often makes me feel carsick
Old 09-01-2020, 07:46 AM   #12
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3LOU5 View Post
What I meant was from an APPEARANCE standpoint, it looks like a Miata on 'roids with its wide rubber in all four corners, headers/side pipes and muscular fender flares.

But I was just wondering about the power-to-weight ratio of a something like this, because after a certain number, it would be really difficult to put the power down without fishtailing all over the place, imo.

I suppose all that wind/exhaust noise would get old after a while....something a good set of earplugs can cure.
As with anything it comes down to good tires. Most of these Cobra kits are built around wheel sizes that have the right look but for which decent street tires don't exist.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 09:36 AM   #13
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
As with anything it comes down to good tires. Most of these Cobra kits are built around wheel sizes that have the right look but for which decent street tires don't exist.
I was thinking that it must be pretty hard to find good tires in that crazy size.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote